Turn on thread page Beta

Liverpool or Queen mary for law watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    QM is much harder to get into on academic requirements? being AAA only this year whilst Liverpool remain AAB which may well change, more so in terms of numbers applying? I'm sorry I'm yet to meet anybody who has been rejected from Queen Mary except for medicine applicants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigDick*******)
    QM is much harder to get into on academic requirements? being AAA only this year whilst Liverpool remain AAB which may well change, more so in terms of numbers applying? I'm sorry I'm yet to meet anybody who has been rejected from Queen Mary except for medicine applicants
    No, it was AAA last year and took a majority of AAA candidates the two years before that. It's something like 15:1 of applications to acceptance. It's a lot more competitive than Liverpool for law.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's a huge difference between the two. Law recuriters put people in either Oxbridge/others. Go where they mark more generously as with a 1st you have a huge advantage over getting training contract interviews.
    If you intend to train to be a solicitor then the cost is more relevant. Liverpool is reeeally cheap to live compared to london and LPC is cheaper at Manchester/Chester than London by 1000's plus the cost of living in London.
    Although the Russell Group isn't tehnically about academics (and is missing durham!) the Uni's that are in it are generally highly regarded by law firms.

Firms just want to tick a box when it comes to academics, so as long as you have AAB at A level and a good 2:1 from either QM or Liverpool you will do fine. London firms may prefer QM because they like you to have a "connection" to the area you applying (and other way around for liverpool and the north) but as far as they're concerned they're both solid universities. I personally think Liverpool has a better perceived reputation(-ignoring league tables here and going on general reputation as recuriters do) but that's a notherners point of view and I'm sure down south it's the other way around!)

I do think they are pretty similar Uni's but for the record about applications Liverpool is one of the most applied to Universities in the country. (not saying that means that much as Oxbridge is one of the least applied to!) But number of applicants at either QM or Liverpool is irrelevant. Just means you compete against more good candidates whereas at oxbridge/ucl/lse you compete against fewer exceptional candidates.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.