Turn on thread page Beta

My bag was stolen last night, this guy just tugged it off my arm and ran. There was nothing I could (or would) do about it so I just let it go.

Apart from all the things I'll now have to replace, everything you could possibly know about me is in that bag: my name, address, house and car keys, photos of me and my friends on my camera, all my contacts and my timetable. I mean if they had a look through it, they'd know pretty much exactly where I'd be at any point in the day, when I'm out of the house (to which they now have a key and address for).

I really hope he's just chucked the bag somewhere but what if he hasn't? I've moved my car.

Should I change the lock on my house too or is that overeacting?
    What else should I do?

ReputationRep:
    I would change the locks. Chances are he would have just stolen anything valuable but you can never be too careful!

ReputationRep:
    why do you keep your address and keys together? Did your parents never warn you about that?

Looks like you'll have to change the locks. I wouldn't worry about him stalking you or whatever though.

ReputationRep:
    Change the locks, contact your card company and inform them, highly likely your ID will be used to open a new card/make purchases.

ReputationRep:
    Change the locks, cancel all your cards etc., contact the police if you haven't already, change your car door locks aswell (should be covered in insurance).

But the sort of unorganised criminal who just snatches a bag and runs, is probably just looking for easy cash. They obviously aren't particularly clever.

ReputationRep:
    Yes change your lock.

Your phone doesnt matter so much. Just try get in touch with any contacts you had on that phone telling them it got stolen, so dont try get in contact with that number.

Theres nothing much else you can do about all the other stuff apart from get in contact with the police and see if anyone has handed it in incase he did chuck your bag away.

ReputationRep:
    so someone has your address AND the keys to your house, not to mention they will know EXACTLY when you will be out of the house

yet you come on here asking if you should change the locks?

dear god some people have no sense

http://craigswinejourney.files.wordp...facepalm23.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My bag was stolen last night, this guy just tugged it off my arm and ran. There was nothing I could (or would) do about it so I just let it go.

Apart from all the things I'll now have to replace, everything you could possibly know about me is in that bag: my name, address, house and car keys, photos of me and my friends on my camera, all my contacts and my timetable. I mean if they had a look through it, they'd know pretty much exactly where I'd be at any point in the day, when I'm out of the house (to which they now have a key and address for).

I really hope he's just chucked the bag somewhere but what if he hasn't? I've moved my car.

Should I change the lock on my house too or is that overeacting?
    What else should I do?
    Personal articles are practically worthless. Very, very unlikely that your contacts, photos etc. will be kept - they will be binned or sold (the camera that is).

Replace locks and apply a strong bolt to your door right now (whether or not you change your locks immediately) - this way at least you'll hear a break in, if you're in and the bolts are closed. Install bear traps.

And report it to the police. Now.

Also, don't become too worried and anxious. It can happen to anyone - even a person with a black belt in karate can have their bag stolen by someone who catches the, by surprise and happens to be a faster runner. Remember that while muggers are generally stupid, they're not stupid enough to follow up in an attempt to increase their swag. Don't go mad with insurance in the future either - for many items you pay more that the item's worth (at the time - a two year old laptop is worth a quarter of it's original price) and you can't recover personal files/items.

ReputationRep:
    No idea if I'm allowed to plug this, but here goes anyway. I personally have card protection with CPP, which also covers you if your keys are lost/stolen, and your handbag is stolen. Also allows you to register key documents so if they're lost, credit checks have to go through more rigorous security checks. It's pretty nifty and its only £38 for the year - so maybe something to look into for the future?

Bad luck on that though, its unfortunate you had so many identifying documents together

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baz1990)
    change your locks, and change your daily schedule, did you contact the police?, I would have put up more of a fight if I was you.
    im assuming the op is a girl though...and you're a guy...
    Depends on the circumstances, if im in a club i'd put up a fight...but if im on my own walking down a street where no-ones about, i'd just give up the bag.

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely have the locks changed. I'd make sure I had a good door chain too.

I'd assume you've reported it to the police, they might be lucky and find the bag. Chances are if this happens only the valuable stuff like your phone/money/camera would have gone.

This is why you're meant to keep your keys out of your bag, in a pocket somewhere, and definitely not in the same place as your address. :pinch:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.