Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Higher Geography is probably my strongest subject, although I still can't grasp how a U-shaped Valley is formed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz23)
    Higher Geography is probably my strongest subject, although I still can't grasp how a U-shaped Valley is formed...
    What is it that your not grasping? Anything that someone here could help with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz23)
    Hey. I'm doing geography this year too and it's probaby my strongest subject as well.

For a U-shaped valley think of a v-shaped valley with the ice forming etc. then say that the ice descended downhill RAPIDLY and as it did this it tore out chunks of rock from the valley sides (plucking) and used these like sandpaper to wear away the valley floor (abrasion). This makes the valley DEEPER, WIDER and STRAIGHTER. When the ice melts a U-shaped valley (or glacial trough if your a geek :p:) is formed. Then draw the diagram of a v-shaped valley then a u-shaped valley making sure that it is deeper, wider and has a straighter appearance to highlight the difference.
    (It's a similar process to a corrie except it's to the valley not a hollow)

Hope that helps.
    How did everyone do in the prelim?
    Got 96%!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alasdair1993)
    Hey. I'm doing geography this year too and it's probaby my strongest subject as well.

For a U-shaped valley think of a v-shaped valley with the ice forming etc. then say that the ice descended downhill RAPIDLY and as it did this it tore out chunks of rock from the valley sides (plucking) and used these like sandpaper to wear away the valley floor (abrasion). This makes the valley DEEPER, WIDER and STRAIGHTER. When the ice melts a U-shaped valley (or glacial trough if your a geek :p:) is formed. Then draw the diagram of a v-shaped valley then a u-shaped valley making sure that it is deeper, wider and has a straighter appearance to highlight the difference.
    (It's a similar process to a corrie except it's to the valley not a hollow)

Hope that helps.
    How did everyone do in the prelim?
    Got 96%!
    Thank you! Haven't got my result back yet but I think I might have passed. Not sure though...

ReputationRep:
    Thought I'd bring this up again. No point in starting a new one.

How's everyone's studying going? What are you guys doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lulope)

quite bad , I don't know how I got an A in the prelim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lulope)

I made pretty colourful notes today, and I'm very impressed with my waterfall formation drawing. This counts as studying, right?

It does I'm sure of it :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Livesindreams)
    I made pretty colourful notes today, and I'm very impressed with my waterfall formation drawing. This counts as studying, right?

It does I'm sure of it :yep:
    As long as it's annotated. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    As long as it's annotated. :awesome:
    It is

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.