Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Using "one" as a pronoun in an essay. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I always feel mega nerdy and stuck up when i write "one must take into account..." or "one's perception..." etc
    I know it's probably proper grammar but it feels so old fashioned- do you think it's better to write "one" or "you"? Am i supposed to be writing "one" all of my essay??

ReputationRep:
    'We' sounds a little better.

ReputationRep:
    Don't like it: too old fashioned. Not sure what i'd use as an alternative, though.

ReputationRep:
    You'll just end up sounding like a knob.

ReputationRep:
    It's OK as long as you don't over-use it. Try something like "it is necessary to take into account" for an alternative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    You'll just end up sounding like a knob.
    Only if you're handing it in for BTEC Sport.

A lot of research pieces, formal works, etc. use the pronoun "one".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Beatrice)
    It's OK as long as you don't over-use it. Try something like "it is necessary to take into account" for an alternative.
    I agree.
    'Those concerned....' could be another alternative to us as well.

ReputationRep:
    I would write 'one' in an essay as it sounds more intelligent! Nobody else is going to see it so I wouldn't worry about sounding nerdy! What's your essay on?

ReputationRep:
    I've always been told at school never to use 'we' or 'you', to try to avoid 'I', and to always use 'one', so it doesn't feel weird for me at all really.

Now I'm at Uni we're allowed to write 'I' But I hate doing it, it makes my whole essay sound really informal and amateurish imo. Plus I still get accused of sounding too chatty and conversational even with 'one' so I think anything else would make it worse.

ReputationRep:
    Writing "you" as a pronoun in an essay is too informal and it gives essays the wrong tone. If you don't want to say "one" try using certain phrases such as, "The reader", "the audience", etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GreatOrmondSt)
    I would write 'one' in an essay as it sounds more intelligent! Nobody else is going to see it so I wouldn't worry about sounding nerdy! What's your essay on?
    My essay is the Cambridge Corpus Christi essay competition on sociology, so i think it might be a good idea to sound mega nerdy but i don't wanna sound like i'm trying too hard?
    I don't know...it's a toughy
    I think i'll just keep trying to change it to "we" or rephrase...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinishHim!)
    Only if you're handing it in for BTEC Sport.

A lot of research pieces, formal works, etc. use the pronoun "one".
    Yes, and a lot don't.
    We sounds even worse, who is "we"?. Try to avoid making it personal.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see any problem with it- in history essays I use it pretty much all the time, but that's now the only subject for which I have to write essays in English, so I'm not sure if I'd use it for other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    'One' is perfectly acceptable, unless you are informed not to use anything that could mean yourself. At our law school we are instructed to use the passive voice.

ReputationRep:
    what's the passive voice?

ReputationRep:
    I've found myself using it recently

It just sounds really pretentious,I cringe whenever I see it on some aspiring yute wrapping up their analysis with 'one must concede' and 'one must exhibit'.
    eurgh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffDee)
    what's the passive voice?
    Gandhi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Beatrice)
    You have to be careful with wording it that way, some lecturers will pull you up on it because it sounds like you're saying you must take this into account when you're supposed to be constructing an unbiased account.

ReputationRep:
    Don't say 'one', don't say 'you'. 'One' makes it less readable IMO, it doesn't flow as well, it put up a barrier between writer and reader, and when I read it in my head I get the Queen's voice reading it out. It's just generally distracting.

If you get the tone right, like you are taking the reader through something, you can use 'we'. That's better for scientific reports and stuff, where you have derivations.

But in an essay it's best to avoid all of it IMO. Like someone said, use 'it is necessary', or if you really need to be talking about an actual general person, use 'an observer' and things like that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 11, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.