Turn on thread page Beta

The Daily Mail susses out Cancer! watch

ReputationRep:
    Now i know we all love a good chuckle at the daily mail!

Just came across this group on facebook listing the things the daily mail has reported cause cancer! It links to the related stories as well.

Personal favs include:

Candle lit dinners
    Childlessness
    Babies (yes, bit of a paradox that one)
    False nails
    Shaving
    Skiing
    Talcum Powder
    Wi-Fi
    Wocestershire Sauce!

Just thought it would amuse some of you
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...2464297&ref=nf

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for sharing this! Daily mail...always making me laugh!

ReputationRep:
    joined the group :yep:

i still read the daily mail though.. it's like a guilty pleasure

ReputationRep:
    I quite like that they include being male and being female (Although if you look at the article it applies to smokers =P) as well as every food type, or being too thin. :facepalm: So essentially, don't worry about it. There's nothing you can do

ReputationRep:
    The Mail is a cancer.

ReputationRep:
    That group's retarded.

Quite a lot of what it claims is rubbish, when you actually read the links...

Most of the food-related ones are well documented and were reported in elsewhere, and are references to toxins and contaminants that have found their way in to food unknowingly, and have since been outlawed.

E.g. the claim by the group that the Daily Mail claims that baby food causes cancer is actually:
    Baby food firms have been warned to change the seals on their jars amid fears of contamination by a cancer-causing toxin.
    Food safety chiefs have demanded similar action on a range of products from ketchup to pasta sauce.

The moves, announced yesterday by the European Food Safety Authority, follow the discovery of the chemical semicarbazide in glass jars and bottles of fruit juices, jams, honey, pickles, vegetables, mayonnaise, mustard, sauces and ketchup.
    E.g. a EU move to outlaw certain substances from baby food jars, which is sensible.

According to the group, the Daily Mail claims sausages also cause cancer, but the newspaper report states:
    A European food watchdog said it was no longer safe to eat products containing the additive Red 2G after tests showed it caused cancer in rats and mice.
    The red dye - also known as E128 - is most often used in cheap sausages and burgers to give the impression of a higher meat content.

The warning was issued by the European Food Safety Authority which said the colorant was a "safety concern".

ReputationRep:
    It's a well known scientific fact that everything ever gives you cancer. Humans are naturally meant to live to 250 but all the worcester sauce and children are killing us off.

ReputationRep:
    So basically, the very act of existing gives us cancer.

:sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaceyThe)
    That group's retarded.

Quite a lot of what it claims is rubbish, when you actually read the links...

Most of the food-related ones are well documented and were reported in elsewhere, and are references to toxins and contaminants that have found their way in to food unknowingly, and have since been outlawed.

E.g. the claim by the group that the Daily Mail claims that baby food causes cancer is actually:

E.g. a EU move to outlaw certain substances from baby food jars, which is sensible.

According to the group, the Daily Mail claims sausages also cause cancer, but the newspaper report states:
    Yes but the point is that the Mail reports it in such a sensationalised way and distorts the information to such a degree that it becomes a parody of itself. While also giving much publicity to half baked theories and treating them as gospel.

ReputationRep:
    According to this, i definitely have cancer, bummer.

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    Reading the Daily Fail causes cancer.

ReputationRep:
    Christ..stupid stupid paper. I'd rather have cancer than avoid some of the foods they say!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Botticello)
    Christ..stupid stupid paper. I'd rather have cancer than avoid some of the foods they say!!
    Darwinism \o/

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised the Daily Fail didn't put immigrants as a possible cause.

ReputationRep:
    Well then, we're screwed :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    If they did then they would have lost all their credibility... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    It kind of went part-way there with the "being a black person" one.

But I'm also surprised it didn't do the full monty.

Still, life according to the Daily Fail means that we should just kills ourselves now, otherwise we'll die of terrorist-induced cancer in broken britain's immigrant-run NuLab hospitals :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Finbar21)
    If they did then they would have lost all their credibility... :rolleyes:
    They have any :curious:

ReputationRep:
    'Girls who have sex in their teens are at greater risk of developing cervical cancer',

Dun tell dem dat!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.