Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you view people with consistently negative mindsets? watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you look down and them or shun them?

Being always positive is not hard. it is a matter of:

- seeing the good in things
    - exposing oneself to positive imagery/stimuli
    - exercising, which releases endorphins
    - never thinking negatively about people, even though to think negatively about others sometimes is natural

ReputationRep:
    I like people with a positive, optimistic outlook. I think it's a lovely characteristic and I respect people like that.

I have a slightly negative one - I just seem to have grown up like that, it's an ingrained habit - but I make a conscious effort to see things positively. It doesn't come naturally though. I tend to look down on people who are always negative, I think it makes things harder for everyone else. Those who are persistently negative are really quite annoying. I wouldn't say I 'shun' them, but they're automatically less likeable that's for sure.

ReputationRep:
    They've started winding me up more since I became fairly optimistic.

ReputationRep:
    maybe there's a rreason?

ReputationRep:
    My WORD they are annoying. My house-mate is one of them, I just want to throttle him the whole time! Everything that doesn't go his way, he whines about, or at least makes those "I'm fed up" grunts all the time. I just want to slap him around a bit and tell him to get a grip! He acts like the world has dealt him the worst of hands the whole time and :woo: I just wanna kill him!

Wow. I didn't expect that rant to come out so easily...

I for one live the life style of the optimistic pessimist. I assume everything will be *****, but I'll go along with it because I'm often left happily surprised! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Those are some other words I hate the sound of, optimistic and pessimistic.

Good day

Missing out! :ahee:

Although sometimes I get really negative. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dior-perfume)
    maybe there's a rreason?
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    as with most things in life, its all about striking a balance

ReputationRep:
    I don't look down on them, but they can frustrate me. It gets a tad annoying when someone constantly persists to see the bad in things.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind it if they have a genuine reason and it's not all the time, but it's so annoying when someone has so many good things in their life and they just continue to be pessimistic.

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely not a fan of people whose only topics of conversation seem to revolve around criticism and complaints. The ones who always do it pretty much just make me feel down and it lowers my mood being around them, so I avoid them like the plague.

It'd appear most people don't enjoy such company, because the miserable *******s usually end up with few people bothered about talking to them and ultimately become ultra-miserable as they end up with nobody wanting anything to do with them socially.

ReputationRep:
    Ive never had a real friend whos a pessimist. I dont see why anyone would choose to spend their free time with people like that.

(Original post by rajandkwameali)
    Being always positive is not hard. it is a matter of:

- seeing the good in things
    - exposing oneself to positive imagery/stimuli
    - exercising, which releases endorphins
    - never thinking negatively about people, even though to think negatively about others sometimes is natural
    I think the real key to optimism is to avoid thinking too much. If you just do things and live your life in the moment you dont have any time to sit around moping.

ReputationRep:
    You know what, I actually get on well with pessimistic people - their outlook on life doesn't change mine, and I find they can often be more observant and sarcastic than the average person, qualities I like in a person.

ReputationRep:
    it frustrates me to a certain extent, but then i'm not one to talk.

in my case i don't necessarily mean to be negative; half the time, i don't even realise that i am! i think i'm just inherently more pessimistic than i am optimistic, but only because that way i'm less prone to being disappointed and i can be more realistic about things. being realistic isn't always fun, though.

i have definitely become more optimistic within the last few months (ironic, given the circumstances) but i still moan about things all the time.. even if it is only the weather. :p: i think it's more habit for me than anything else because i'm always telling everyone around me to look on the bright side of things!

ReputationRep:
    My nan moans all the time. Its annoying. I find being around whiney moany people depresses me too, its like a vicious cycle!!

ReputationRep:
    pessimists are the worst kind of people, they are dream crushing douchers who will most likely lead sad, unfullfilling lives. Everyone knows the goal of life is to be happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffieFlowers)
    I don't look down on them, but they can frustrate me. It gets a tad annoying when someone constantly persists to see the bad in things.
    This.
    I tend to stay away from people I know are going to see the bad in things, simply because they bring me down. Life isn't always that bad - surely not every single day?!

ReputationRep:
    I view them, very negatively

:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samrout)
    pessimists are the worst kind of people, they are dream crushing douchers who will most likely lead sad, unfullfilling lives. Everyone knows the goal of life is to be happy.
    Haha, this is really very true. I have noticed whenever I get excited around such people, they'll always find a way to highlight the possibly ways in which it might go wrong or not be as good as I hoped. They're also perpetually unhappy with their career and overall direction in life, and will most likely always be that way.

It's like, what's the point in living if you're not going to be make the best of what you do have?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.