The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
az1992
Yes we are far more civilized then them with our pub violence, racial intolerance and general ignorance. We should look down on them because our skin and the fact we used to be a super power in the world makes us far more superior then they will be.

Sarcasm aside, do you actually know what indigenous means? You cannot call yourself indigenous anymore then the American public can call themselves indigenous. The term refers to the FIRST settlers of a land. And yes this means that to decide who is indigenous, we would be looking back thousands of years to the first hunter gatherer tribes who walked over the now non-existent land bridge between Britain and France. If you even share the tiniest amount of genetic material with these people, then i would be surprised.

The concept cannot be applied to the average white brit as our country, even prior to the 20th century, has seen wave after wave of immigration or invasion from the picts, celts, romans, Anglo-Saxons, Norwegians, Normans, Jews from all over Europe, Spanish, hungarian and those are only the ones I can actually 100 pc name.

Lol are you another one of those people who naively believe that every country has an indiginous population apart from Britain? The Native Americans are said to be primarily descended from Siberian hunters who travelled to America by crossing the Bearing Straits about 15000 years ago (therefore, by your definition, not indiginous) yet people have no qualms about referring to them as "native" so surely the same applies to White Brits who are mostly descended from people who have been in the UK for thousands of years? Also, i have to remind you in regards to your first point that if Britain is so bad and we're all such uncivilisied ignorant racists, then the rest of the world must leave a lot to be desired since it seems that there are many people from elsewhere literally risking their lives to get here.

To the op, i don't think that you can base your whole opinion on multiculturalism on your one experience at the call centre. I agree that there are some problems with multiculturalism and multicultural societies do have negative aspects (not to be confused with multi racial societies which i see no problem with) but to base that opinion on one bad experience in a call centre is a bit silly.
Reply 41
:troll:
Fetai
It certainly does not express a dislike for immigration, I don't accuse you of that. I just don't like how people are being so disrespectful towards christians. Even if there is a small chance that the people behind the atheist bus compaign are right and that there is no God. But I don't see the need of why they have to drive busses taking the piss out of people like me. Seriously, what's the point? If I want to believe, please let me, and show some more interest in religion.

The whole point of it was just a response to the evangelical Christian adverts and they aren't meant to take the piss.
Fetai
It certainly does not express a dislike for immigration, I don't accuse you of that. I just don't like how people are being so disrespectful towards christians. Even if there is a small chance that the people behind the atheist bus compaign are right and that there is no God. But I don't see the need of why they have to drive busses taking the piss out of people like me. Seriously, what's the point? If I want to believe, please let me, and show some more interest in religion.

:nopity:

People have the right to be as disrespectful as they want about religon..not that those posters are disrespectful, unless in your book having an alternative viewpoint = disrespect.
sunpro
I can see why it doesn't bother you. Wales doesn't get much immigration because Wales isn't seen as that attractive to immigrants. When you're in the valleys and surrounded by nothing but white people, you don't suffer culture shock like I did.

Lol I only go to uni in Wales.....and last time I checked, I was in the north of it :rofl:
electriic_ink
The whole point of it was just a response to the evangelical Christian adverts and they aren't meant to take the piss.

Yeah plus this, the evangelicals started it :stomp:
sunpro
I can see why it doesn't bother you. Wales doesn't get much immigration because Wales isn't seen as that attractive to immigrants. When you're in the valleys and surrounded by nothing but white people, you don't suffer culture shock like I did.

actually wales does see quite a lot of immigration, especially the north due to the low cost of living
Reply 47
lmao i hate that, in school in the common room, theres just this big table with loads of indians sitting around it and they're so annoying and dont like anyone except other indians

but the people you were talking about would be described as freshies round here, as in fresh off the boat
Reply 48
sunpro
Pfft, more civilised. That's why they all leave India/Pakistan/Bangladesh in their droves to come to our 'uncivilised society' because of how **** things are here.

OK, well whether or not you agree that I'm indigenous, the fact is that I'm English (my family has been here for at least 500 years according to my uncle's last family tree investigation) and was made to feel like a foreigner in my own country by first-generation immigrants.

Their droves? where the **** do you get this **** from? All 3 countries mentioned have populations atleast double ours, what may be "droves" (which may I add sounds like it was ripped straight from the sun,) to us is actually a very small and insignificant number to them. I didn't mean to label our country uncivilized and I love it here I just found it ironic that you were judging them to be uncivilized as our culture has its undesirable elements.

So we have established that your uncles line of family have been here for 500 years, what about the other units of your family? Also they have been here for 500 years proves that they are not indigenous as they were not the FIRST settlers.

electriic_ink
cause it's difficult to learn English we shouldn't make it a prerequisite for claiming British citizenship?

blonde moment there darling,

there is a difference between granting an immigrant a visa to work here and giving them british nationality. You think an Asian family just turns up and are given british papers? No, infact there is criteria that must be met before one can be given british nationailty, amongst this is having stayed here for a certain amount of time and knowing the language to a decent level.

BellaBoo
Lol are you another one of those people who naively believe that every country has an indiginous population apart from Britain? The Native Americans are said to be primarily descended from Siberian hunters who travelled to America by crossing the Bearing Straits about 15000 years ago (therefore, by your definition, not indiginous) yet people have no qualms about referring to them as "native" so surely the same applies to White Brits who are mostly descended from people who have been in the UK for thousands of years? Also, i have to remind you in regards to your first point that if Britain is so bad and we're all such uncivilisied ignorant racists, then the rest of the world must leave a lot to be desired since it seems that there are many people from elsewhere literally risking their lives to get here.

To the op, i don't think that you can base your whole opinion on multiculturalism on your one experience at the call centre. I agree that there are some problems with multiculturalism and multicultural societies do have negative aspects (not to be confused with multi racial societies which i see no problem with) but to base that opinion on one bad experience in a call centre is a bit silly.

Its a shame that you are against everything that i have said because i found your paragraph to the OP very true and agree with you.

I found it annoying that you have obviously not understood very much of my original argument. It seems that you beleive the idea of indigenous brits and saw me arguing against this and was off. My and my dictionaries idea of "indigenous" is the first settlers of a land. Now I mentioned Americans in terms of the white American settlers and not the Red Indians. But yes these native Americans do actually fit into my description as they were the FIRST settlers in America, just as the
Aborigines may have been part of another ethnic group but they were the FIRST settlers of Australia.

Also you make mention of the white brits who have been here for thousands of years. If you had actually read my original post you would have seen me explain that the chances of all 55 million White British people being descended from a group of hunter gatherers that predate even the picts, is probably impossible. I dont think britain is full of ignorant racists, i was merely describing our undesirable side, trying to smash through the myth that we are far superior then any other culture or race. Of course I love this country otherwise I would not be here. This is why i get annoyed when people bitch about it.
Reply 49
That's multiculturalism :lolwut:
Your problem isnt mulicultralism. Its bulling in the workplace. If those guy were white and were acting the same way what would you say then?

And fwi, psycology is a joke subject unless its backed up by biology.
Reply 51
I agree with the OP 100%.

Let's say a British national (or Australian, NZ for arguments sake) wanted to work in Asia. He/she would require a degree as a MANDATORY staple for their application to live and work there. A degree is the foot in the door. That isn't the case here. Also, a high level of whatever language is de facto in their chosen location of work is STRONGLY recommended.

We have people who have no degrees here, and have trouble saying even the most basic of English salutations. Sound fair?

Oh, and even a fluent, well educated person would recieve some racial flack in; oh let's say... any country in Asia.
Reply 52
az1992

Its a shame that you are against everything that i have said because i found your paragraph to the OP very true and agree with you.

I found it annoying that you have obviously not understood very much of my original argument. It seems that you beleive the idea of indigenous brits and saw me arguing against this and was off. My and my dictionaries idea of "indigenous" is the first settlers of a land. Now I mentioned Americans in terms of the white American settlers and not the Red Indians. But yes these native Americans do actually fit into my description as they were the FIRST settlers in America, just as the
Aborigines may have been part of another ethnic group but they were the FIRST settlers of Australia.

Also you make mention of the white brits who have been here for thousands of years. If you had actually read my original post you would have seen me explain that the chances of all 55 million White British people being descended from a group of hunter gatherers that predate even the picts, is probably impossible. I dont think britain is full of ignorant racists, i was merely describing our undesirable side, trying to smash through the myth that we are far superior then any other culture or race. Of course I love this country otherwise I would not be here. This is why i get annoyed when people bitch about it.

Glad to see we agree on something.

Actually though, if you research the origins of the British you'll find that while British men are by and large descendents of ancient farmers who (as you rightly said) outbred the "native" hunter gatherer men approx 10,000 years ago, genetic tests show that most modern day British females are infact descended from the original hunter gatherer females (my source is The Guardian, not the Daily Mail in case you don't believe me) so in the case of the OP she was most likely correct (even by your definition) in referring to herself as indiginous (please don't take that as me agreeing with everything that she said, because i don't.) Btw, i wouldn't be included in that definition of "indiginous British female" anyway (i have recent "foreign" ancestry on one side of my family) so don't think i have anything to gain by saying that there is such a thing as an "indiginous" Brit because it wouldn't apply to me either way.

Truthfully the thing that really annoyed me about your last post was your first point about White Brits being "ignorant uncivilised racists." I know you say that you were only saying that as way of highlighting our negative side, but i bet if someone made the very same comment about Black people or Asian people you would be the first to cry (and quite rightly so because it would be) "racist."
So multiculturalism is bad because you feel excluded at work? Well-worked out..
Reply 54
sunpro
A couple of years ago, I worked at the AA call centre between finishing A-levels and starting university (I'm 20 now). It was a fairly easy job, and paid £7 an hour for nearly 40 hours a week, and there was the chance to do work like 'Rapid Response' where you came in at their beckon call and got paid £27 an hour. Fair enough, I thought, and just worked there as a way to save money for uni (it saved me about £2,000 over 12 weeks).

The problem was that, during my training, I was literally the only white girl in a group of 20 people (even the trainers were Asian). I wasn't bothered about that particularly at first, but it was obvious that the other people picked up on it, and kept making cultural references that they knew I wouldn't get. They kept making me feel like an uncultured 'aggora' or whatever they call white people, and doing things like all gathering round a computer to watch Youtube clips in Punjabi and laughing hysterically while I was sitting there like a numpty.

They really fit the bill of stereotypical Asians, like making fun of one guy because he was studying Psychology and they thought it was a joke subject. Furthermore, all they seemed to talk about was their 'wealthy' friends and cars they'd just bought etc. I just felt like saying, 'if you're that sodding wealthy, what are you doing answering the phone here?'

The funny thing is though, the AA wanted to have only UK call centres because of peoples' past experiences phoning places like bloody Bombay, but half of these Asians had such strong accents that it defeated the purpose. I loved it when customers commented to me that it was 'so nice to speak to an English person'.

It was fine when my job started properly, because there were more white, friendly people on the call centre floor and I had a right laugh, but my 3 weeks of training were just horrible. Proof that multiculturalism is a load of tosh.

Why put bloody? You got something against the City or something?

I've had a similar experience duing some work training not long ago where i was only Asian and about 12 were white British. I was treated like a slave and was made to look like fool by these *****. I remember during a group discussion i was laughed at and mocked because of my race.
Reply 55
BellaBoo
Glad to see we agree on something.

Actually though, if you research the origins of the British you'll find that while British men are by and large descendents of ancient farmers who (as you rightly said) outbred the "native" hunter gatherer men approx 10,000 years ago, genetic tests show that most modern day British females are infact descended from the original hunter gatherer females (my source is The Guardian, not the Daily Mail in case you don't believe me) so in the case of the OP she was most likely correct (even by your definition) in referring to herself as indiginous (please don't take that as me agreeing with everything that she said, because i don't.) Btw, i wouldn't be included in that definition of "indiginous British female" anyway (i have recent "foreign" ancestry on one side of my family) so don't think i have anything to gain by saying that there is such a thing as an "indiginous" Brit because it wouldn't apply to me either way.

Truthfully the thing that really annoyed me about your last post was your first point about White Brits being "ignorant uncivilised racists." I know you say that you were only saying that as way of highlighting our negative side, but i bet if someone made the very same comment about Black people or Asian people you would be the first to cry (and quite rightly so because it would be) "racist."

Hmm I may be ignoring blindly fact but i still find that hard to believe.

And no I think you are placing me in a group of people because we have similar views. Where as some may simply shout RACIST at these kind of views, I dont believe this constitutes racism rather ignorance of another culture. And i mean ignorance without the negative connotations that seem to be attached to it now as in not knowing.

I never used the word racist, rather I tried to draw the OP's attention to the fact that some people and elements belonging to our culture are also uncivilized even by our own standards.

i try to use the term racist as little as possible as I believe it is vastly becoming one of a group of words people throw at each other in the wrong context such as fascist, liberal, etc.
Reply 56
az1992
Hmm I may be ignoring blindly fact but i still find that hard to believe.

And no I think you are placing me in a group of people because we have similar views. Where as some may simply shout RACIST at these kind of views, I dont believe this constitutes racism rather ignorance of another culture. And i mean ignorance without the negative connotations that seem to be attached to it now as in not knowing.

I never used the word racist, rather I tried to draw the OP's attention to the fact that some people and elements belonging to our culture are also uncivilized even by our own standards.

i try to use the term racist as little as possible as I believe it is vastly becoming one of a group of words people throw at each other in the wrong context such as fascist, liberal, etc.

So just because it might force you to rethink your ideas you're refusing to believe that it's true? Take a look for yourself and see the proof http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/jan/19/british-men-ancient-farmers. The last paragraph is where it describes the origins of British females.

Btw I must apologise as i did judge you unfairly, as it turns out we have similar views on racism as well. I too believe that a lot of what is today described as out and out racism is actually simply ignorance about those who are different to us, although i maintain that perhaps you could have chosen a better turn of phrase so as not to offend people (being described as "ignorant" and "uncivilised" is bound to put people's backs up.) I know that you didn't mean it to denote *all* British people but you didn't really make that clear at first.
Reply 57
BellaBoo
So just because it might force you to rethink your ideas you're refusing to believe that it's true? Take a look for yourself and see the proof http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/jan/19/british-men-ancient-farmers. The last paragraph is where it describes the origins of British females.

Btw I must apologise as i did judge you unfairly, as it turns out we have similar views on racism as well. I too believe that a lot of what is today described as out and out racism is actually simply ignorance about those who are different to us, although i maintain that perhaps you could have chosen a better turn of phrase so as not to offend people (being described as "ignorant" and "uncivilised" is bound to put people's backs up.) I know that you didn't mean it to denote *all* British people but you didn't really make that clear at first.

Just as people have trouble comprehending the fact that they may not have freewill when introduced to the freewill vs determinism debate, I have trouble grasping this new concept. especially as i cannot beleive that nearly 55 million people are descended directly from a couple of thousand or less people.

Dont worry about it, all you've got is the text in front of you and humans are wired up perhaps to make on the spot judgments. I apologize as I should have perhaps worded it better.
Barden
exactly, say the shoe was on the other foot and it was the OP with a load of 'indigenous britons' working along side one immigant worker, would they then make sure that all their conversations were in simple english and otherwise easily understood by the migrant worker, so that he/she could feel included?

Disregarding that the fact that English is the national language, good one.
Reply 59
An aa call centre doesn't represent britain as a whole and those grou of asians don't represent all asians in england. How do you even know they are immigrants? Stop complaining and get on with the job!

Latest

Trending

Trending