Turn on thread page Beta

Multiculturalism is a load of tosh - my experience watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinishHim!)
    That's right, drop the pathetic race card whenever anyone dares to criticise the flawed concept that is state-engineered, segregating multiculturalism. :rolleyes:
    This is a fair point tbh - you can be against the way multiculturalism is working in this country or elsewhere without actually being racist. The system certainly doesn't help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Areontas)
    This is a fair point tbh - you can be against the way multiculturalism is working in this country or elsewhere without actually being racist. The system certainly doesn't help.
    If I am a "racist" for being appalled by state-engineered multiculturalism in its current form in Britain, then I happy to be a "racist".

It's just a label, and one used in this situation to stifle criticism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinishHim!)
    If I am a "racist" for being appalled by state-engineered multiculturalism in its current form in Britain, then I happy to be a "racist".

It's just a label, and one used in this situation to stifle criticism.
    People love labels, and as you say, labels are often used in that way.

Plus, there are plenty of people of an ethnic minority who might not feel integrated and are, like you, appalled at state-engineered multiculturalism in its current form in Britain. Are they 'racist' too? It's pretty stupid, and a problem that will take some time to fix.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cesare Borgia)
    Welsh can **** off and so can Scots Gaelic, they're pathetic. In England, nay the UK, you speak English, if I were to move to Poland I would have the decency to learn Polish, to India; Indian and so on. It really isn't hard to figure that one out.
    OOPS!

Lot of ignorance showing through there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunpro)
    I'd only go and live in a country where I'm with other Europeans though i.e. USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, as none of the rest of the world has anything to offer in which I'm remotely interested, so there wouldn't be this cross-cultural nonsense.
    There are loads of folks from outside Europe in the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. These are all multicultural societies too - like most nations on the planet.

By the way, in any trading floor of a multinational investment bank in London you'll see people of loads of different ethnicities getting on just fine.

I'm going to use that as proof that multiculturalism is absolutely fine.

ReputationRep:
    So if immigration controls were applied based on a rigorous points system there would not be the BEM problem in the UK today. Most immigrants are in the UK for selfish economic reasons and many are poorly educated if at all, speak little or no English, and offer no worthwhile skills. All bring traditions, cultures and religion that are alien to English society, and most live in ethnic ghetto areas. Diversity means difference and this leads to conflicts.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    Low this whole thread. Do you think there's such a high number of immigrants in this country because everything is fine and dandy where they originate from? Jeez, you guys need to do some research and find out the horrific present situation in Somalia or poverty ridden and politically corrupt countries in Africa and THEN you might be able to understand why they come here.
    Stupid ******* ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamjar)
    So if immigration controls were applied based on a rigorous points system there would not be the BEM problem in the UK today. Most immigrants are in the UK for selfish economic reasons and many are poorly educated if at all, speak little or no English, and offer no worthwhile skills. All bring traditions, cultures and religion that are alien to English society, and most live in ethnic ghetto areas. Diversity means difference and this leads to conflicts.:yes:
    a) Err... we HAVE a rigorous points based system for non-EU migrants (i.e. those from Commonwealth countries such as Australia, India, Pakistan, New Zealand, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Nigeria, Kenya, South Africa, Canada, Bangladesh, the USA, Guyana, Egypt, Barbados etc.

b) The points-based system means that you have to at LEAST be degree-educated to be granted residence and a work visa in the UK.

c) You also need to have passed an English language test (IELTS Level 7) in speaking, reading, writing etc. This is probably not very difficult for most people from the countries I listed above since English is an official language in most of those nations anyway!

d) What religions, cultures, traditions etc. that are alien? There are loads of people from ex-Commonwealth, EU and other nations in London and we don't see much problem at all.

e) I can't think of any 'ghettoes' here. Every borough within the Greater London Authority (GLA) is pretty ethnically diverse (i.e NOT ghettoized) bar Havering.

f) Some of the most diversity (in ethnicity) will be seen inside multinational investment banks in London. These employers employ people from all over Europe, Asia, Africa etc. There really isn't much conflict within them at all.

Also, what's the BEM problem?

I think you've been fed a load of dribble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamkund)
    I agree with the OP 100%.

Let's say a British national (or Australian, NZ for arguments sake) wanted to work in Asia. He/she would require a degree as a MANDATORY staple for their application to live and work there. A degree is the foot in the door. That isn't the case here. Also, a high level of whatever language is de facto in their chosen location of work is STRONGLY recommended.
    We have people who have no degrees here, and have trouble saying even the most basic of English salutations. Sound fair?

Oh, and even a fluent, well educated person would recieve some racial flack in; oh let's say... any country in Asia.
    This is rubbish. I know this because I live in both India and England.

ReputationRep:
    A couple of years ago, I worked at the AA call centre between finishing A-levels and starting university (I'm 20 now). It was a fairly easy job, and paid £7 an hour for nearly 40 hours a week, and there was the chance to do work like 'Rapid Response' where you came in at their beckon call and got paid £27 an hour. Fair enough, I thought, and just worked there as a way to save money for uni (it saved me about £2,000 over 12 weeks).

The problem was that, during my training, I was literally the only white girl in a group of 20 people (even the trainers were Asian). I wasn't bothered about that particularly at first, but it was obvious that the other people picked up on it, and kept making cultural references that they knew I wouldn't get. They kept making me feel like an uncultured 'aggora' or whatever they call white people, and doing things like all gathering round a computer to watch Youtube clips in Punjabi and laughing hysterically while I was sitting there like a numpty.

They really fit the bill of stereotypical Asians, like making fun of one guy because he was studying Psychology and they thought it was a joke subject. Furthermore, all they seemed to talk about was their 'wealthy' friends and cars they'd just bought etc. I just felt like saying, 'if you're that sodding wealthy, what are you doing answering the phone here?'

The funny thing is though, the AA wanted to have only UK call centres because of peoples' past experiences phoning places like bloody Bombay, but half of these Asians had such strong accents that it defeated the purpose. I loved it when customers commented to me that it was 'so nice to speak to an English person'.

It was fine when my job started properly, because there were more white, friendly people on the call centre floor and I had a right laugh, but my 3 weeks of training were just horrible. Proof that multiculturalism is a load of tosh.
    Get over yourself. I sound 100% English, but I am 100% Indian. Most English people have harsher accents and a worse understanding of the English language than I do.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares if were English, British, White, European or whatever. We are all people, we are all the same. Why should somebodies country or skin colour denote their value to us.

Just be happy with what we have, its a **** load more than most other counties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cesare Borgia)
    Welsh can **** off and so can Scots Gaelic, they're pathetic. In England, nay the UK, you speak English, if I were to move to Poland I would have the decency to learn Polish, to India; Indian and so on. It really isn't hard to figure that one out.
    However, most English people living in foreign countries do not make the effort to speak the native language or know very little of it. In fact, in my experience, a significant proportion of English people cannot speak English properly either.

ReputationRep:
    I'd only go and live in a country where I'm with other Europeans though i.e. USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, as none of the rest of the world has anything to offer in which I'm remotely interested, so there wouldn't be this cross-cultural nonsense.
    Well if you are so desperate/eager to live and work in a monocultural environment, why not emmigrate to Austalia? I hear they need workers to fill brain drain going on there. I am positively certain that your second-to-none skills as a call centre worker are in great demand there.
    :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Proof that multiculturalism is a load of tosh.
    Really? :eyeball:

It's evidence that in one scenario, you didn't get on with a group of Asian-dominated AA call-centre workers.

I'm sorry you had this bad experience but you can't seriously expect there to be no problems with immigrant communities whatsoever. I don't think this issue was overlooked during the mass-immigrations of the 60s and 70s.

But one thing I won't deny is that Asians will make fun of "lesser degrees" - it's simply in the blood. (Sorry!) :p:

ReputationRep:
    I work at a call centre atm thats about 50/50.

Everyone gets along fine.

Is that proof that multiculturalism is a load of tosh?? No.

Logic fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)

But one thing I won't deny is that Asians will make fun of "lesser degrees" - it's simply in the blood. (Sorry!) :p:
    So basically anything other than medicine / law / engineering??? :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talveer)
    who cant even speak there own language
    Oh I see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talveer)
    who can't even speak their own language.

Happy? :rolleyes:
    Very

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    a) Err... we HAVE a rigorous points based system for non-EU migrants (i.e. those from Commonwealth countries such as Australia, India, Pakistan, New Zealand, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Nigeria, Kenya, South Africa, Canada, Bangladesh, the USA, Guyana, Egypt, Barbados etc.

b) The points-based system means that you have to at LEAST be degree-educated to be granted residence and a work visa in the UK.

c) You also need to have passed an English language test (IELTS Level 7) in speaking, reading, writing etc. This is probably not very difficult for most people from the countries I listed above since English is an official language in most of those nations anyway!

d) What religions, cultures, traditions etc. that are alien? There are loads of people from ex-Commonwealth, EU and other nations in London and we don't see much problem at all.

e) I can't think of any 'ghettoes' here. Every borough within the Greater London Authority (GLA) is pretty ethnically diverse (i.e NOT ghettoized) bar Havering.

f) Some of the most diversity (in ethnicity) will be seen inside multinational investment banks in London. These employers employ people from all over Europe, Asia, Africa etc. There really isn't much conflict within them at all.

Also, what's the BEM problem?

I think you've been fed a load of dribble.
    On the contrary I am quite sure of the situation. Based on your BEM and non English profile I quite understand why you are so defensive. I must say your English is rather good.

So the points you make:-

a. The points system such as it is, is not rigorous. You know quite well that the vast majority of immigrants resident in the UK are here prior to any sensible system that would be called rigorous. There are quite a number of illegal immigrants as well as immigrants here on false pretences.

b. You know that very few immigrants entering UK shores possess degrees, and indeed I suspect those that does are likely to be poor quality and even bogus.

c. The vast majority of immigrants with the exception of those from USA, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa speak poor English. The English language test is for foreign students wanting to study at an UK university. Perhaps you had to take it yourself?

d. Since you are not English of course you can not see the various traditions, cultures and religions brought over by the immigrant population that are alien to English society.

e. Take off those rose tinted spectacles and you will see that every corner of London has its predominate ethnic groups - Koreans in Kingston, Bangladeshi in Tower Hamlet, Indian Sikh in Southall, etc.

f. Shame on those investment banks that employ these foreign and immigrant workers thus displacing more deserving ethnic English. I suspect some of these foreign workers got through the back door after obtaining a UK degree, or the less than rigorous immigrant controls.

I believe there are approximately 6 million BEMs in the UK. This is a big problem for English society.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    OOPS!

Lot of ignorance showing through there!
    Ooooh get you, I know there are all the different languages you ******* but I don't know the names or can be arsed to list them, I thought people would be bright enough to presume what was meant.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.