Turn on thread page Beta

am i the only one that gets annoyed by this... watch

ReputationRep:
    i have a friend who has been taking lessons for almost 2 years and has failed 5 driving tests, just after she started learning her mum brought her a cheap car to learn in which she kicked up a fuss about because she said it sounded like a tractor :P LOL. anyway, a couple of months ago, just before christmas her mum decided to buy her a brand new (59 plate) car.

i get annoyed because some people just get handed things to them on a plate. My friend doesnt work to pay for her insurance or anything.

Rant over

ReputationRep:
    I think if people can afford to, they're more than welcome to spend the money they've earned on their kids.

It would certainly be nice to have everything given to me, but I don't really begrudge people who do. That's not to say I don't feel jealous though :pinch:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I hate spoilt people.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you're not the only one, but everyone's different, some people have money or the want to buy new cars. There's no point being jealous you'll only make yourself unhappy.

So what if she has taken 5 tests? So what if she doesn't have to pay her own insurance. Eventually she'll have to and it'll be a shock. Her parents want/can pay so what? Get over it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I hate this too. She wont apprectiate that car. I saved up for over a year my car and insurance....but I appreciate it and I look after it!!

I used to be jealous about this but now I'm content in the knowledge that I'm an adult now and I can buy my own things thank you very much haha!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind so much if she didn't come across as spoilt over her first car. I was quite lucky thast my grandad had put away money for my car and insureance etc. but I do think gratitude needs to be shown and I am soooo grateful for my car! (y)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    Yeah I hate this too. She wont apprectiate that car. I saved up for over a year my car and insurance....but I appreciate it and I look after it!!

I used to be jealous about this but now I'm content in the knowledge that I'm an adult now and I can buy my own things thank you very much haha!
    Not everyone who has things bought for them fail to appreciate them! My parents bought me a new car for when I passed and paid my insurance whilst I was at university...I didn't expect it as my 'right' and I most certainly appreciated it!

ReputationRep:
    When I see people like this it kinda makes me feel smug about myself. But then again I am scrounging off the government for uni.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I hate this too. She wont apprectiate that car.
    I know plenty of people who have had cars bought for them and they appreciate them, because they know they are lucky to have it and they don't take it for granted.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm. i mean i understand what you guys are saying and i love my friend to bits but it does get really annoying and i get so irritated when she is constantly like haha look at your car compared to mine and she will walk past elderly peoples cars and be like yeah my car is better than yours and i dont even drive yet! Oh well, saying that i totally love my £1500 car

ReputationRep:
    I really couldn't care.

What's it to you anyway, don't you have more important things to worry about in your life? If you don't, you are incredibly privileged yourself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *twinkletoes*)
    hmmm. i mean i understand what you guys are saying and i love my friend to bits but it does get really annoying and i get so irritated when she is constantly like haha look at your car compared to mine and she will walk past elderly peoples cars and be like yeah my car is better than yours and i dont even drive yet! Oh well, saying that i totally love my £1500 car
    I have a friend exactly like yours.

Love her to pieces, would never say it to her face because she's awesome but DEAR GOD she is spoilt sometimes. Brand new car bought for her, insurance paid etc, never had a job and she's 20 now, at uni so it sits at home not being driven, all her money comes from her Dad anyway so even if she was asked to pay for it, she'd be using her parents money so it wouldn't make any difference! Going out with her is a nightmare, she always without fail has at least £30 in cash on her, if she uses that she goes to cash point and withdraws more of Daddys cash. Feel like banging my head into a brick wall when I'm trying to explain to her that I can't afford to get the train to college if I don't have a job and she's going "Yeah, I know, money is so tight sometimes" - She's never gone without anything, even if it's meant she's had to 'save' for a little while.

</rant>

ReputationRep:
    I don't care to much about people who get everything handed to them on a plate. What annoys me is when they still moan about what they have or haven't got...

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the girl's attitude.

ReputationRep:
    Ha sounds like my old mate. A pony, two dogs, then she was brought a new car- firstly she complained she hated how it looked, then she was complaining she'd prefer another horse! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    littleman, that is exactly the point im trying to make. i have never exactly gone with out but as soon as i went to college my dad gave me no money whatsoever so i think everything i do have, my car, my flat etc etc i appreciate a lot more x

ReputationRep:
    *littlebill i mean sorry

ReputationRep:

Thats what annoys me - not that these people get a brand new car or have the money for it (sure im jealous though) its that the children dont learn the value of even working to pay for the insurance of something they wanted. To appreciate money/material things and taking the effort and time to earn them is a big part of building sensible values for the future, otherwise theyll start to expect to be given new stuff and never learn to be happy with what they have or to work for what they want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)

Love her to pieces, would never say it to her face because she's awesome but DEAR GOD she is spoilt sometimes. Brand new car bought for her, insurance paid etc, never had a job and she's 20 now, at uni so it sits at home not being driven, all her money comes from her Dad anyway so even if she was asked to pay for it, she'd be using her parents money so it wouldn't make any difference! Going out with her is a nightmare, she always without fail has at least £30 in cash on her, if she uses that she goes to cash point and withdraws more of Daddys cash. Feel like banging my head into a brick wall when I'm trying to explain to her that I can't afford to get the train to college if I don't have a job and she's going "Yeah, I know, money is so tight sometimes" - She's never gone without anything, even if it's meant she's had to 'save' for a little while.

</rant>
    It's not her fault her parents give her money for everything. If your parents offered to give you money, I'm pretty sure you would accept.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)

</rant>
    I get what your saying but because her dad has money I'm sure she'll get the least amount of money from her loan so her dad will have to give her money. Assessing income of my parents means I don't get nearly enough money to even cover my rent, so my dad has to give me money to live off, as even with a job I can't afford to live.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.