Turn on thread page Beta

am i the only one that gets annoyed by this... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    Aye, but you could say that about unspoilt kids. You've got the ones that just get on with not having a lot of money, then you get those who moan and whine about it.

Oh yeah, materialism is a big problem. But, not just with spoilt people. It annoys me when people justify spending a ridiculous amount on a phone. Or people that have an Iphone and an Ipod touch...
    Well yeah I know, but this is about the spoilt ones :p:

Oh tell me about the phones! Mines at least 5 years old and people take the piss! Do I care? Do I buggery!

ReputationRep:
    should've waited a few months for the new 60 plate tbh.

ReputationRep:
    stop being jealous

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't care less. Know lots of people like this and 99% of the time they don't know **** about cars/driving.
    Unlike me.

ReputationRep:
    I was lucky, I didn't have to buy a car for myself; my brother just gave me his old Renault Clio. It's not the greatest car in the world, but it does the job.

I do, however, have to pay for my insurance, which is £2600 a year. I only earn £30 a week, so this is a bit steep.

But, yeah, I get jealous when someone doesn't have to pay for their insurance or petrol.

ReputationRep:
    It's just the way of the world, and always has been.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    Well yeah I know, but this is about the spoilt ones :p:

Oh tell me about the phones! Mines at least 5 years old and people take the piss! Do I care? Do I buggery!
    I got rid of my faithful LG Shine when It froze entirely and even taking the battery out wouldn't work...
    Ended up with a £15 phone that I use to text, call and rarely check the internet on. I don't see the point in Blackberry's. Especially when the people using them are 16/17 and it's primarily a business phone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lust of a Gardener)
    I was lucky, I didn't have to buy a car for myself; my brother just gave me his old Renault Clio. It's not the greatest car in the world, but it does the job.

I do, however, have to pay for my insurance, which is £2600 a year. I only earn £30 a week, so this is a bit steep.

But, yeah, I get jealous when someone doesn't have to pay for their insurance or petrol.
    Wow that is some pretty steep insurance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    I got rid of my faithful LG Shine when It froze entirely and even taking the battery out wouldn't work...
    Ended up with a £15 phone that I use to text, call and rarely check the internet on. I don't see the point in Blackberry's. Especially when the people using them are 16/17 and it's primarily a business phone.
    Woah! that IS cheap! Is it on contract? I was thinking of going on a contract because I never remeber to top it up and it's handy now I'm driving about...you never know what will happen!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *twinkletoes*)
    Wow that is some pretty steep insurance!
    It's ridiculous, I could probably buy my car four times over for the price of my insurance.

But that's the cheapest quote I could get in my area.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know what to think in these situations because i think im one of those lucky ones. My parents can afford to give me money for uni and are offering to buy me a car and pay the insurance next year, but im not ungrateful and i would never complain about it in the slightest.
    I also know perfectly well how to look after my money and myself etc.

I understand how people would be annoyed by having people like this around them though, some people just dont realise how much they have handed to them i suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    Woah! that IS cheap! Is it on contract? I was thinking of going on a contract because I never remeber to top it up and it's handy now I'm driving about...you never know what will happen!
    Er, I'm on a sim only plan. Basically a contract, but you're not tied in!
    £15 for the phone
    and then £20 a month for unlimited texts, 250 minutes and internet. But, Orange are an appaling company, so I'm switching to Virgin for the same plan but cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    I was given my dad's fiat stilo for Christmas. My step mum got a new car, my dad got hers and my dad gave me his. I was in no way expecting it and I am in no way ungrateful for it. Best Christmas present ever? I think so I love my car and I thank my dad all the time for him giving it to me.

ReputationRep:
    If my parents offered me a new car I wouldn't say no. Some people just have more money than others - that's life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria91)
    It's not her fault her parents give her money for everything. If your parents offered to give you money, I'm pretty sure you would accept.
    I actually DECLINE money from my rents coz theyre not well off, but they force it on me

still, i give them money here and here for odds and ends

it can be annoying when you see 17 year olds with BRAND NEW fiestas and stuff, but fair play if the parents have money to buy them one. I dunno though if theyd ever appreciate a car in the same way than if someone saved up and bought a used one. In fact if i had 12k to burn i wouldnt buy a brand new supermini, id prolly go for a slightly bigger faster, but maybe older car...e.g. focus, golf, A3

ReputationRep:
    The fact that her mum bought her the first car is fine with me, but what I'd find annoying about it is when she complained about it and her mum agreed to buy her a brand new one. I'm one of those people that hates asking parents to buy them anything and they aren't particularly rich so if they bought me some old banger that worked fine I'd be chuffed to bits. Wouldn't care if it sounded like a tractor to be honest.

Your friend's lucky though, OP.

ReputationRep:
    Such is life.

But is this really a motoring thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A_master)
    Such is life.

But is this really a motoring thread?
    no it belongs in the cooking section :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yas89)
    no it belongs in the cooking section :rolleyes:
    OP was making a point about life in general.

Maybe general discussion or H&R would be more relevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A_master)
    OP was making a point about life in general.

Maybe general discussion or H&R would be more relevant.
    but youre always wrong!:p:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.