The Student Room Group

The Official Higher English Thread: Help and Discussion :: Pre-Exam Discussion

Hello!

There are quite a few of us that are sitting the dreaded Higher English this year. I've made this thread up so that we can share our anxities and problems with the course, and also receive/give help with Higher English, therefore enabling everyone to get at least some help.

Whether it be critical essay tips, close reading help or just a good moan, post it here! :woo:

Here are a few resources for Higher English:

LINKS

http://www.rsc-ne-scotland.ac.uk/map2learn/mindmaps/Survival%20Guide/Survival%20Guide%203/index.html ("Higher English Survival Guide" - Good for tips/hints for the final exam.)
http://www.hsn.uk.net/resources/Higher-English (Has notes on Romeo & Juilet, Assissi, Visiting Hour and CR help.)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/learning/bitesize/higher/english/ (Bitesize - a bit thin but still good!)
http://www.scribd.com/doc/21335241/Higher-English-%E2%80%93-Writing-Exam-%E2%80%93-How-to-Fail (How to Fail Higher English - Really good! lol)
http://www.peterheadacademy.aberdeenshire.sch.uk/assets/revision/english/revisiontips.pdf (Revision tips - Really good if you can't study for your texts.)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/education/bitesize/higher/other/ask/english/critical/index.shtml (Archived English Queries - Might answer some questions you have!)
http://www.jellycast.com/directory/index.php?page=jellycast&id=1543 (Podcast - A guide to writiing a Higher Critical Essay in the exam)
http://www.sparknotes.com/ (This website is good for getting info for your texts.)
http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/files_ccc/NQHigherEnglishCriticalEssayWorkshopCandidateEssays.pdf (Example essays from the SQA website)
http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/files_ccc/NQHigherCriticalEssayWorkshopCandidateEssayMarks.pdf (Marked Essays)
http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/downloadpastpaper.htm?id=2838 (Higher English 2009 paper)
http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/resources/e/nqresource_tcm4501426.asp?strReferringChannel=nq
http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/resources/e/nqresource_tcm4230266.asp?strReferringChannel=nq (Preparing for the exam)
http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/resources/e/nqresource_tcm4544254.asp?strReferringChannel=nq (Herald's past exam help)
http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/resources/s/nqresource_tcm4230064.asp?strReferringChannel=nq (Tips for people studying 'Sunset Song').
http://www.sqa.org.uk/ (Obviously!)
https://www.mysqa.org.uk/ (This is a service which allows you to get your exam results via text and/or email, much better than waiting on the postie!)

I'll add more stuff as we progress, possibly answered close reading questions/sample essays.

Anyway, good luck! :woo:

NoticeA poll will be added soon that allows people to select what texts they are doing. Please note, however, due to limited choices, we will only be allowed to feature 15 different texts in the poll. If you find that your texts don't fall into any of the options, please select 'Other' and specify in the thread. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Close Reading GUIDE

The Close Reading paper is the first paper in the Higher English exam. It is worth 50 marks, and lasts 1 hour 45 minutes. It is worth 50% of your overall grade.

You are assessed on two passages, which normally either agree on the same topic or conflict on the same topic. You will answer questions based on passages 1 and 2, and then answer a question which requires you to compare and evaluate the two passages as a whole.

This guide will tell you what to expect in the exam, and how to go about answering the questions.

The Code

There are three elements in the exam. These are:
UNDERSTANDING (U)
These type of questions normally test your understanding about what the writers are actually saying. This normally involves putting words/phrases into your own words or generalizing/summarising the key points in a paragraph. Being the 'easier' type of questions, they normally range from 2-3 marks.

ANALYSIS (A)
These types of questions normally test your ability to recognise different types of language, imagery and sentence structure, and how they convey the writer's point of view. This normally means taking apart (quote!) the imagery/language/sentence structure, analysing it and then saying how it contributes to the overall impact of the passage. These are the harder type of questions, so they normally range from 2-5 marks. (This can also be combined with Evaluation).

EVALUATION (E)
These types of questions normally test your evaluation skills. This involves recognising if the writers have effectively managed to get their argument across. You can argue for or against, but you must always back up your point. These questions are normally combined with analysis, and found at the end of the questions, so they range from 3-6 marks.

Example 'Questions and Answers'

Here are a few answered questions to give you an idea of how to go about answering questions in the exam. Please note, however, that they might not be correct. They will be based on the 2009 paper.

Please open the paper here and read the passages along with the questions, as it is quite frankly murder to copy and paste. (:p:).

UNDERSTANDING QUESTIONS

1(a) Referring to lines 1-6, give in your own words two reasons why the writer finds it surprising that politicians are "telling us not to travel". (2 U)

Two reasons why the writer finds it surprising that politicians are "telling us not to travel" are that there is no global conflict to make travel dangerous and that travel is available to everyone, not just the rich. We get 'no global conflict' from 'absence of world war', which can be rephrased easily, and we get 'available from everyone' from 'just as working people have to begun to enjoy the freedoms...generations", which can be translated into working class getting better stuff.

Referring to specific words and/or phrases, show how the sentence "So, before...as a whole?" (lines 13-14) performs a linking function in the writer's argument. (2 U)

The sentence performs a linking function in the writer's argument because at the beginning it says: "eco-lobby's anti-flying agenda" which refers to the previous paragraphs which discussed restricting air travel. Also, it says at the end: "can we just review their strategy as a whole?" which allows the writer to introduce the new paragraph, which is about energy use in general. Linking questions are a gift. You basically look at the beginning and the end of the sentence, take out phrases/words that refer back to the original point/argument, and then you take out phrases/words that refer to the next paragraph.

3. Read lines 15-23.
(a) What, according to the writer, is the result of "Clamping down on one form of movement"? Use your own words in your answer. (1 U)

The result of "Clamping down on one form of movement" puts stresses on other forms of transport. Quite a nice one. We get "stresses" from "intolerable pressure", things like strains, troubles etc would have done. We get "other forms of transport" from "others", being specific shows the marker that you know what you're talking about.

(b) Explain how the writer uses the example of the London congestion charge to demonstrate her point. (2 U)

She uses London congestion to demonstrate her point because the congestion charge discouraged many travellers from driving into London and this means that London's train and tube services are extremely busy. A very tricky one, but the answer was in lines 21-23. You can see how I've glossed over most of the words, you should do this in the exam.

4. In the paragraph from lines 24 to 28, the writer states that "The only solution...is for none of us to go anywhere." (lines 24-25)
(a) Why, according to the writer. is the "solution undesirable? (2 U)

The "solution" is undesirable because the mobility allows people to come together for a variety of reasons, like work, pleasure and people from different backgrounds to share knowledge. Also, there are also many shared activities that are only possible due to mobility, therefore making cities vital in the advancement of learning and understanding. Again, putting it into your own words.

5. Read lines 29-47.
(b) Using you own words as far as possible, summarise the benefits of technology as described in lines 35-43. (3 U)

The benefits of technology as described in lines 35-43 are firstly, has eradicated different respiratory diseases due to reduced heating. Secondly, more effective cleaning as reduced the amount of disease-carrying parasites. Lastly, the car has given people independence and has allowed people to be much more adaptable and have more choice in their life. All you have to do here is answer in your own words and pick out the main points of the "lines". A lot of words like "eliminated", "bronchitis", "hot water", "fleas", "plague", "freedom, "flexibility" etc should be easily glossed over.

Most of the U questions are quite simple and should be some easy marks. If you are struggling, miss it out and move on to the next question, and come back to it later.

ANALYSIS QUESTIONS

1(b) Show how the writer's sentence structure and word choice in lines 1-12 convey the strength of her commitment to air travel for all. (4 A)

Firstly, the sentence structure conveys the strength of the writer's commitment to air travel for all because of the use of questions; the first question is what politicians are asking for the public to consider and the second question shows the writer's incredulous response, which indicates the anti-restriction stance of the writer. Secondly, the use of parenthesis: "-the experience...climates-" helps the writer to exemplify the freedoms of travel. However, the writer also uses word choice to convey the strength of her commitment to air travel for all. We see this from the word "freedoms", which suggests that travel offers independence and flexibility, and also the word "pleasure", which suggests that air travel offers enjoyment and gratification. As you can see, there is a lot of independent thought in these questions. I balanced it to be 2 marks for sentence structure and 2 for word choice. If you are ever stuck, just look at the techniques/word choice and see what emotion/tone they imply, come up with words related to the tone/emotion and then relate it back to the passage.

4(b) Show how, in this paragraph, the writer creates a tone which conveys her disapproval of the "solution". (2 A)

The writer creates a scathing tone which conveys her disapproval of the "solution". We see this from "craven retreat", which suggests that the "solution would be cowardly and unworthy. We also see this from the structure of the final sentence, where the positioning of of "But that" suggests her rejection of the solution. As you can see, you do really need to look out for tone, sentence structure and word choice. Identify, explain and refer back to the passage. You could have argued here that the writer has a positive tone from the second part of the paragraph.

5(c) Show how the writer uses sentence structure in lines 35-43 to strengthen her argument. (2 A)

The writer uses sentence structure in lines 35-43 to strengthen her argument. We see this when she uses parenthesis: "poor-bronchitis and pneumonia-which..", which enables her to name two horrific diseases, therefore highlighting the danger of cutting down heating (her argument). The writer also strengthens their argument from the repetition of "Never mind", which shows that she is opposed to the eco-lobby for a variety of reasons. This is a very typical question. Make sure you know about repetition, statements, rhetorical questions, parenthesis, parallelism...

7. How effective do you find the writer's use of language in the final paragraph (lines 69-74) in emphasising her opposition to placing restrictions on people's way of life? (2 A/E)

NOTE: These questions require you to both analyse the text and say how effective it is. Balance your marks wisely. Can argue both for and against, as it is your own opinion, but remember to back it up.

I find the writer's use of language very effective in emphasising her opposition in placing restrictions on people's way of life. Particularly when the writer uses the words "grotesquely unfair", which suggests travesty of justice, I find the language effective because it shows the writer's strong, negative emotions soundly. Also, the repetition of "we" throughout the paragraph, which suggests that the writer is taking a stand for us all, is effective because it show's the writer's empathy clearly, and how willing she is to defend it. See my structure: Identify, analyse and assess. Don't waffle, just answer the question.

-Passage 2-
9. (b) Show the writer's use of language in lines 13-19 conveys his unsympathetic view of the speakers at the conference. In your answer you should refer to at least two features such as sentence structure, tone, word choice...(4 A)

NOTE: You notice how they have indicated what you should be looking at? Well, that is a open-list...this means that you can analyse other types of language that aren't mentioned. But, it is much easier for you and the marker to use the language techniques given!!!

The writer's use of language in lines 13-19 conveys his unsympathetic view of the speakers at the conference from the use of repetition of "speaker after speaker", which emphasises the sheer number of delegates of like mind, claiming victimisation of the industry. Also, the use of the of the words "bemoaned" and "cried" conveys his unsympathetic view of the speakers at the conference because they emphasise the self-pitying and pathetic nature of the delegates. I just kept within the list. It saves time and hassle, but if you find imagery or anything else, you can use that!

(c) How effective do you find the writer's use of imagery in lines 20-24 in conveying the impact that flying has on the environment? (2 A/E)

I find the writer's use of imagery in lines 20-24 in conveying the impact that flying has one the environment very effective as the imagery, "scarred", gives off the idea of hurt and wounds, as if there will be permanent wound on the earth due to flying, therefore conveying impact soundly due to its implicit suggestion. Also, the imagery "etched" is effective in conveying the impact of flying on the environment because it gives the idea of cutting and ruining, as if the earth will be torn apart due to the flightpaths, therefore relating to the reader's emotions and getting the message across sufficiently. Imagery is very good in terms of flexibility: you aren't limited by the marking scheme. Just remember to break apart the imagery, give an example and then evaluate it.

EVALUATION QUESTIONS

NOTE: I'm only going to focus on the last question here ("Question on both Passages"), as they are always evaluation-type questions. The question is different from the rest though, as it is marked like an essay rather than "mark per point". It's basically a mini-critical essay where you compare the two articles on a certain feature(s). ALWAYS REFER TO BOTH PASSAGES IN YOUR ANSWER OR YOU WILL NOT GET FULL MARKS!!!! The general structure of this answer should be: Point on passage one, analyse, Point one passage 2, analyse, evaluation. This question should be a good opportunity to gain some well-earned marks! Also remember, it's your opinion...therefore you cannot have invalid points as long if you back up your answer!!

12. Which passage is more effective in engaging in your interest in aspects of the environmental debate?

Justify your choice by referring to the ideas and style of both passages. (5 E)

Passage one is more effective in engaging in my interest in aspects of the environmental debate, rather than passage two.

I think this because the ideas raised in passage one are much more powerful and thought-provoking, for example, the writer raises the ideas of green taxes which will affect London's road, rail and air transport fares, which engages my interest because it is both relevant and valid, whilst also giving me an economic insight to the debate.

However, passage two raises very cliché ideas about raising air travel fares and how other remedies to offset the damage would merely mask the problems caused by flying. These ideas are very repetitive and blatantly obvious, and do not engage my interests in the aspects of the environmental debate due to their limited insights.

Passage one's style is more effective in engaging in my interest in aspects of the environmental debate because is written in a reasoned debating style, therefore making it much more coherent and easier to follow, allowing me to engage in the debate fully. Also, the writer uses a disapproving tone to ridicule proposed travel restrictions, which allows me to relate my emotions to the passage and share the the same view as the writer.

On the other hand, passage two's style is not effective in engaging in my interest in aspects of the environmental debate because of the conversational tone, which doesn't help me relate to the writer's views or opinions at all. Also , the use of the personal anecdote is very cliché and doesn't achieve its purpose because of this.

Overall, passage one is more effective in engaging in my interest in aspects of the environmental debate because it is full of emotion and relates to my views directly, whilst passage two contains cliché techniques and doesn't engage me at all.

As you can see, these questions do require a lot of effort. I've drawn it out a little to give you a better understanding of what to write, but I suggest you stick with this method.

Timing in the exam

A lot of people struggle with their timing in the close reading, and find it is their greatest downfall. Here my little list of steps that should help:
1. Take a deep breath before starting - If you are nervous you won't take any of the passage's idea in.
2. Read the front of the exam booklet - This will give you a brief idea of what the articles will be about.
3. Read passage one - Remember to read the title, blurb and passage.
4. Do the questions based on passage one - There's no point in reading passage two yet.
5. When finished, read passage two.
6. Miss out any small mark questions that you are stuck on.
7. Do the last question.
8. Read over your paper and make sure you haven't missed anything - If you don't get it, just write something and back it up (unless it's U), who knows...you might get the marks!
9. Good luck!

Tips

Below are a few tips for the exam that I probably haven't covered already:

[*] You will not be marked down for expression, so don't worry too much if you can't spell a long word.
[*] You can use bullet-points for understanding questions...but do not use them for analysis questions.
[*] Don't waffle and waste precious time.
[*] If you are stuck, miss it out and come back to it later.
[*] Remember, English is a subject where there is no right answer.
[*] Past papers DO help.
[*] Try to get as many marks on the last question as you can.
[*] Get to grips with the technical language involved.
[*] Try to be emotional when it comes to opinion questions. Think about it, is it really effective or engaging? Not always!

If you have any other questions or comments please pm me or post them in the thread. Thanks :smile:
Reply 2
Hello fellow Higher English-ers! I had my prelim last week and it went okay. I think I could have written better essays but under the circumstances hopefully I've done okay.
Reply 3
yay, higher english thread XD

I did my textual analysis NAB todaysss and I passed, go me :biggrin:
Means I only have the close reading to pass now, since we've only done a practice one. Hows everyone else doing NAB wise?
Reply 4
jackwka

Means I only have the close reading to pass now, since we've only done a practice one. Hows everyone else doing NAB wise?

We've done all of ours and I passed them all first time (: Highest grade in the class for them all too :eek:
Reply 5
jackwka

did you prepare for it ? I have mine next Monday
Reply 6
Nope, our teacher just told us on the day. You're always preparing for this nab though, as thats what you do whenever you meet a new text, you analyse it.
Reply 7
Critical Essay Guide

Introduction
The critical essay paper is normally the second paper in Higher English. You study for this by revising texts that cover a variety of genres throughout the year. In a nutshell, you will be given a selection of essay questions, and you must write two essays from two different genres based on these questions. It lasts

The paper is worth 50 marks, and is worth 50% of your overall English grade.

Texts
>Drama, Prose & Poetry explained
>How many to revise
>I find them boring/dull, now what

Quotes
>How many
>Which type
>I'm having trouble
>Best way to remember them
>>Poetry
>>Drama
>>Prose

Preparation
>Past Papers
>On the spot analysis

Choosing the Question
>How long
>How to choose

Planning
>How to write a plan

Writing the essay
>Intro
>Main Points
>Conclusion
>Getting high marks
>Common technical language.

Timing
>Choosing the question
>Writing the essay
>Summary

Tips
>Dos
>Don'ts

Practice Exercises
>Mark these essays
>Practice exercises
>Practice questions

None of my questions fit
>How to overcome this
Reply 8
LuhLah
I did a pre-test textual analysis NAB and fail it lol! I've passed the creative/personal writing one though. I dunno when my NAB is :s-smilie: We've still got the personal study to do lol...my teacher said we might end up doing a lot of nabs after the exam.

WHta have I done?!?!?! I used to be so good at english now I'm ****...

LOL

I know how you feel, english used to be great. SG was so easy and everything was lolz.

Whilst i'm here, thought I'd talk about the dreaded worrds that are always written on my work "ANALYSE ARGHHH!!!"

I have sorted this problem, but the new word on my paper is now "how??". what do teachers mean when they write this? I just don't get it. Could someone provide an example and talk through it?
Reply 9
jackwka
LOL

I know how you feel, english used to be great. SG was so easy and everything was lolz.

Whilst i'm here, thought I'd talk about the dreaded worrds that are always written on my work "ANALYSE ARGHHH!!!"

I have sorted this problem, but the new word on my paper is now "how??". what do teachers mean when they write this? I just don't get it. Could someone provide an example and talk through it?

I think it means you're stating a point without backing it up, e.g., I got the "how?" in one of my essays:

"As well as symbolism, Grassic Gibbon uses the character Jock to purvey the theme of social status. How? We see this here:
"Bladity Bla bla"
His values outlined here purvey the theme, as we see this need for marriage bla bla BLAAA...

I don't know how bitch, it just does, mkay...

But anyway, it means you just need to expand a bit more. Perhaps if I said, "...uses the Jock to purvey the theme of social status through his marriage and attitude to women."
Reply 10
LuhLah
I think it means you're stating a point without backing it up, e.g., I got the "how?" in one of my essays:

"As well as symbolism, Grassic Gibbon uses the character Jock to purvey the theme of social status. How? We see this here:
"Bladity Bla bla"
His values outlined here purvey the theme, as we see this need for marriage bla bla BLAAA...

I don't know how bitch, it just does, mkay...

But anyway, it means you just need to expand a bit more. Perhaps if I said, "...uses the Jock to purvey the theme of social status through his marriage and attitude to women."

OHHH, it makes sense now! Thank you!!
Reply 11
jackwka
OHHH, it makes sense now! Thank you!!

np :p:

I hate the "???" more lol
Reply 12
LuhLah
np :p:

I hate the "???" more lol

heh :P

"Jack, what are you talking about?! Arghh!!(underlined 3 times)"

Managed to get 17 out of it though ;P
Reply 13
jackwka
heh :P

"Jack, what are you talking about?! Arghh!!(underlined 3 times)"

Managed to get 17 out of it though ;P

why lecturer is veryyyy sarcastic when it comes to marking:

"Why 'On the other hand?' You are not arguing against duality." with like a billion lines under it with asterisks and such.

*hates red ink now*
Reply 14
textual analysis NAB tomorrow :frown:
Reply 15
stefany-a
textual analysis NAB tomorrow :frown:

Good luck! xx I've got a nab tomorrow too lol
Reply 16
LuhLah
Good luck! xx I've got a nab tomorrow too lol

am going to fail :frown: Is it an english NAB ?
Reply 17
stefany-a
am going to fail :frown: Is it an english NAB ?

no you're not, remember if you don't know the answer, just bull-**** it and back it up, they can't say it's wrong :awesome:

nope, chemistry lol
Reply 18
EDIT - Link removed due to it containing a current NAB.
Reply 19
Oh! One of those is still a 'live' NAB!::eek:

SQA!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending