Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Official Higher English Thread: Help and Discussion :: Pre-Exam Discussion watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garlicbreadman)
    Well, your "hero" is just someone you admire for their qualities- usually good qualities. Write about the main 'good' character.

Is there any reason why you got 4 rejections? I am applying 2011 as well, sorry if I seem nosy.
    hmmm... that helps me a bit I was thinking of hero differently, that makes it easier

Be as nosy as you like, I'm happy to help! I asked for feedback from all the uni's I applied too and got the same generic response every single time :rolleyes: "Competition for places is very high and your non-academic score wasn't as good as other applicants... blah blah blah" Basically, I don't compete in sports and I haven't reached a grade in music or whatever also, I messed up my Glasgow interview :rolleyes: PM me if you wanna know more, the Higher English thread probably won't appreciate the sudden change in subject here

ReputationRep:
    See if you answer the Q in English essays, and keep referring back to the Q, and write at least 3 pages, and have good quotes and technical accuracy, is it likely you will get AL LEAST 17/25?

I mean, they much mark it much harsher at school when the essays are not timed.

ReputationRep:
    See if you answer the Q in English essays, and keep referring back to the Q, and write at least 3 pages, and have good quotes and technical accuracy, is it likely you will get AL LEAST 17/25?

I mean, they much mark it much harsher at school when the essays are not timed.

Not sure about that one, sorry. However I do know that if you do not refer back to the question the most marks you can recieve is 11.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks

Who here is re-reading their texts?

I have reread my play, going to re-read novel now and make my own notes as I read

ReputationRep:
    Right, back to higher English
    According to the marking scheme, it says as part of the detailed descriptor to get 21-25, you must "focus on the demands of the question, but never lose sight of the text as a whole". Now this is easy enough for character or theme, etc because most people will work chronologically throughout the novel, but what if it is a scene question? Is it enough just to refer to other parts of the play, such as "This reminds us of", or "These words echo his/her earlier words:..........demonstrating... ..."

I am slightly confused.

The marking criteria for 17-19 isn't actually TOO bad. Just hope decent questions come up.

Also, see for ideas in the last question. See if the 2010 question on both passages is solely on IDEAS, does a lot of that involve your opinion as you can't evaluate the writer's ideas.

I don't understand how you can do ideas, all I can think of doing is listing. How would you say I prefer this one because......? Just cos' you agree with it?

ReputationRep:
    See in Macbeth, the two main scenes are:

* Act 1, Scene 7: where Macbeth is overturned by his wife and becomes "settled" on usuriping the throne
    * Act 3, scene 4: the banquet scene

Act 1, scene 7 is better for relealing Macbeth's character, his relatopnship with his wife. But it is also a turning point in itself as this is where Macbeth finalises his decision to proceed with the plan to murder Duncan. However, there's not really that much that you can say. Would it be relevant to analyse the soliloquy, then say how Macbeth is overturned by his wife, etc?

Act 3, scene 4 is the banquet scene and it is also a turning point as this is where Macbeth fails to assert his authority and complete the ceremony in his new position as King. He also portrays how he is going mad, and everything goes downhill from here, including his relationship with his wife which deteriorates even further. This seems good for a turning point scene question.

Anybody got any advice?
    And for act 1, scene 7, how could you write a full essay on that for a scene turning point essay?

ReputationRep:
    Close reading nab tomorrow. Blegh.

ReputationRep:
    Passed all my NABs but failed my prelim by 1 mark (got 49/100) I really don't know my drama well at all (Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller) but I know The Bluest Eye quite well so hopefully a good question comes up on that and I can find a good poetry question (Ambulances, Keeping Orchids & Valentines Day) This is the exam I'm least looking forward to as I really don't want to resit.

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait for all these nabs to be over with so I can start revising for english! :woo: and I got a really good essay mark for my shield of achilles essay

ReputationRep:
    Guess who's getting the English Prize this year? :cool: Me! Found out today. (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lulope)
    Guess who's getting the English Prize this year? :cool: Me! Found out today. (:
    Well done you!:proud:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I need to write an essay on my 'lovely' jekyll and hyde.

And I have no idea what to write. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    hello, i have a bit of a problem. I've studied a play (Hamlet) , two poems ( pike and mushrooms) and a novel (sunset song). the thing is i really hate sunset song, and just cannot revise it! im worried that if a suitable question for the poems doesnt come up then i'll be stuck! however i'm thinking of revising the book i did for my PSU which was to kill a mocking bird. does anyone think thats a good idea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M15123)
    hello, i have a bit of a problem. I've studied a play (Hamlet) , two poems ( pike and mushrooms) and a novel (sunset song). the thing is i really hate sunset song, and just cannot revise it! im worried that if a suitable question for the poems doesnt come up then i'll be stuck! however i'm thinking of revising the book i did for my PSU which was to kill a mocking bird. does anyone think thats a good idea?
    Noooooooo

Unless you study it in depth like you do in class, which would be a complete waste of time, then don't.

Surely there must be something that can help? Sparknotes? Yorknotes?

I know how you feel about sunset song. I didn't do it, but we did 'Smeddum' by Grassic Gibbon which is utter pish and written in a complex language style thing. The best way is to get a basic idea of the plot, then branch out into characters, setting, symbolism, themes etc.

ReputationRep:
    How do you keep referring back to the question? I'm doing an essay "dealing with death" and you have to address how "the writer creates an appropriate mood... and uses the mood to enhance your understanding of the central idea." Surely you'd only write about mood for one or two paragraphs and then focus on different techniques which convey the central idea?

ReputationRep:
    Right, back to higher English
    According to the marking scheme, it says as part of the detailed descriptor to get 21-25, you must "focus on the demands of the question, but never lose sight of the text as a whole". Now this is easy enough for character or theme, etc because most people will work chronologically throughout the novel, but what if it is a scene question? Is it enough just to refer to other parts of the play, such as "This reminds us of", or "These words echo his/her earlier words:..........demonstrating... ..."
    We got told that for scene questions we should really only do one or two quotes from the actual scene, and the rest should be from before and after, to show how important the scene is to the play as a whole. Especially for turning points.

ReputationRep:
    Two weeks tomorrow :eek3: I better get the finger out lol

One more nab and that's meeeeeeeeeeeee :dance: I shall pass the personal study tomorrow :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.sqa.org.uk/files/nq/Engl_H_SQP.pdf

The 2003 specimen paper. Beware the awkward critical essay questions.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm new to The Student Room, and my first post is on the Higher English 2010 thread... that's how much it's consuming my life!! Haha! :grumble:

My texts are:

Drama: 'A Streetcar Named Desire' by Tennessee Williams - a staple Higher text, it seems to fit a LOT of questions, and it's probably a bit more enjoyable than certain texts by Shakespeare...

Prose: 'Never Let Me Go' by Kazuo Ishiguro - a relatively new text. I haven't actually read about anyone else doing this text, so I would appreciate it if anyone else who is studying it could... make themselves known! It's quite a narrow text in terms of fitting to questions, but when it does, it can be very effective.

Short Story: 'The Scythe' by Ray Bradbury - quite a long short story, and it seems to work for some questions. I think I'll steer clear of any possible options for short stories - it's not really my focus at the moment.

Poetry: 'Strawberries' by Edwin Morgan and 'Valentine' by Carol Ann Duffy - both short and quite enjoyable poems. 'Valentine' tends to fit more questions. Still, I'm probably going to neglect poetry slightly - the questions tend to be slightly more specific.

Like I said, my main focus is on the big 'meaty' texts (i.e. Drama and Prose), because (and I don't know if anyone else's teacher has told them this) my teacher said that there is kind of a 'ceiling' to the maximum mark you can achieve for shorter texts (i.e. short stories and poetry) due to the fact that that they work on a narrower focus, so picking out relevant material from them is easier...

She says that, although markers aren't meant to have a prejudice against some forms of text, quite a lot of them do. :/

Not long left to go now! :yikes: The Standard Grade English exam was today (very early in the year I thought) and I had a quick peek at the paper, as somebody else on the bus had a copy. I couldn't really guage anything from the close reading (I enjoyed the Credit one last year, but does anyone else remember that weird last question about what you thought happened to Christopher's mum? :L), but the writing questions looked actually pretty good - possibly better than the 2009 ones. I just remember looking through that booklet and was alarmed that there was a full page dedicated to animals or something...! :O :L

Anyway, hope everyone is okay with their preparation for the exams. It will be SUCH a relief when English is over, the others probably won't be as bad. And even if everyone bombs, at least they're over, and we've got the whole of summer to enjoy!!! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    http://www.sqa.org.uk/files/nq/Engl_H_SQP.pdf

The 2003 specimen paper. Beware the awkward critical essay questions.
    They may be awkard for your texts but for mine that paper is pretty damn perfect. All four drama question could easily be written about with Othello, two of the prose questions are jumping out of the page at me for my novel and 2 of the poem questions also fit perfectly.
    That was seven years ago? Hopefully that means some similar questions will come up this year because with that paper I honestly would be struggling to choose which tasks to write about as they are so good. I wish I was doing the exam in 2003

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.