Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Official Higher English Thread: Help and Discussion :: Pre-Exam Discussion Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lulope)
    Guess who's getting the English Prize this year? :cool: Me! Found out today. (:
    Well done! Me too! Couldn't quite believe it - Higher English is so hard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnsnareTheSenses)
    Hi! I'm new to The Student Room, and my first post is on the Higher English 2010 thread... that's how much it's consuming my life!! Haha! :grumble:

My texts are:

Drama: 'A Streetcar Named Desire' by Tennessee Williams - a staple Higher text, it seems to fit a LOT of questions, and it's probably a bit more enjoyable than certain texts by Shakespeare...

Prose: 'Never Let Me Go' by Kazuo Ishiguro - a relatively new text. I haven't actually read about anyone else doing this text, so I would appreciate it if anyone else who is studying it could... make themselves known! It's quite a narrow text in terms of fitting to questions, but when it does, it can be very effective.

Short Story: 'The Scythe' by Ray Bradbury - quite a long short story, and it seems to work for some questions. I think I'll steer clear of any possible options for short stories - it's not really my focus at the moment.

Poetry: 'Strawberries' by Edwin Morgan and 'Valentine' by Carol Ann Duffy - both short and quite enjoyable poems. 'Valentine' tends to fit more questions. Still, I'm probably going to neglect poetry slightly - the questions tend to be slightly more specific.

Like I said, my main focus is on the big 'meaty' texts (i.e. Drama and Prose), because (and I don't know if anyone else's teacher has told them this) my teacher said that there is kind of a 'ceiling' to the maximum mark you can achieve for shorter texts (i.e. short stories and poetry) due to the fact that that they work on a narrower focus, so picking out relevant material from them is easier...

She says that, although markers aren't meant to have a prejudice against some forms of text, quite a lot of them do. :/

Not long left to go now! :yikes: The Standard Grade English exam was today (very early in the year I thought) and I had a quick peek at the paper, as somebody else on the bus had a copy. I couldn't really guage anything from the close reading (I enjoyed the Credit one last year, but does anyone else remember that weird last question about what you thought happened to Christopher's mum? :L), but the writing questions looked actually pretty good - possibly better than the 2009 ones. I just remember looking through that booklet and was alarmed that there was a full page dedicated to animals or something...! :O :L

Anyway, hope everyone is okay with their preparation for the exams. It will be SUCH a relief when English is over, the others probably won't be as bad. And even if everyone bombs, at least they're over, and we've got the whole of summer to enjoy!!! :cool:

Finally, someone else doing Streetcar :woo:

I guessed the last question right in the credit 2009 'She was kidnapped'

I will **** twice and die if no decent poetry questions come up lol

ReputationRep:
    Well done! Me too! Couldn't quite believe it - Higher English is so hard!
    Congratulations! :woo: What do you get as your 'prize'?

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiosity, has anyones teachers predicted what essay question types will come up?!

ReputationRep:
    Another thing just out of curiousity haha, are any of you studying Language or Film & TV Drama?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthew93)
    Another thing just out of curiousity haha, are any of you studying Language or Film & TV Drama?
    A class in our college are doing 'The Truman Show' as one of their texts.

The language questions look horrid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    A class in our college are doing 'The Truman Show' as one of their texts.

The language questions look horrid
    Oh jeez lol.

I'm my prelim one of the language questions was 'what effect has twitter, facebook and zimbio had on our language etcetc' :o:

ReputationRep:
    Oh jeez lol.

I'm my prelim one of the language questions was 'what effect has twitter, facebook and zimbio had on our language etcetc' :o:
    Omg lol, I would have done that for a laugh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lulope)
    Congratulations! :woo: What do you get as your 'prize'?
    Thanks! I will receive a trophy and a voucher of some sort, it's usually an HMV one for about £30 or so - I was shocked that it's actually quite a good prize!! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I will receive a trophy and a voucher of some sort, it's usually an HMV one for about £30 or so - I was shocked that it's actually quite a good prize!! :woo:
    I get book tokens. Just as well I'm a bit of an English geek otherwise I'd be seriously disappointed.

A guy in my year wrote about one of the Harry Potter films in our prelim. Despite us being explicitly told not to because we hadn't done anything on them.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone ready for the Higher English yet?

I know my texts quite well I would say, but need to learn quotes more thoroughly and try to collate them into compartments such as "characters" and "setting", etc to make it easier to recollect them.

Does anyone think "childhood" or "nature" will come up in the poetry section this year. I know that childhood experience came up last year so what about nature?

ReputationRep:
    Apparently a symbolism question for prose has not come up since 2003, how likely do you think it is to come up this year?

And does anyone know where I can access pre-2006 past papers for higher english for free online?

ReputationRep:
    i might be f'ed over this exam. only things i have are:
    the glass menagerie - play
    fahrenheit 451 - prose
    vergissmeinnicht - poem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatthewH93)
    i might be f'ed over this exam. only things i have are:
    the glass menagerie - play
    fahrenheit 451 - prose
    vergissmeinnicht - poem
    I wouldn't worry, something always comes up for Williams :yep:

I've learned 6 quotes today and wrote an essay :awesome: Jekyll and Hyde is **** lol..

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiosity, has anyones teachers predicted what essay question types will come up?!
    Nope

ReputationRep:
    A guy in my year wrote about one of the Harry Potter films in our prelim. Despite us being explicitly told not to because we hadn't done anything on them.
    Haha I find that really funny - I'd love to see a marker's face when they were met with: "The film, 'Harry Potter and the Philopsher's Stone' by...". Even although it's a completely viable, and good film to probably write about, I just get the feeling there may be an eyebrow raise from the marker, who might perceive the film to be a little on the 'light' side. :yep:

I could probably do a dissertation on it though - I love it so much!

Urgh, I can't believe it's May! :eek: It was so nice being able to say yesterday: "Aw well, don't worry. The exam is not until next month!!" :p:

Now we can't.

ReputationRep:
    Nope
    Drama 'Key Scene' question better come up haha, or i'll be screwed for drama lol.

ReputationRep:
    Drama 'Key Scene' question better come up haha, or i'll be screwed for drama lol.
    What drama are you doing?

A good "male and female contrast"y question better come up for Streetcar, and "a novel which isn't set in your time with a theme relevant in today's society"y type question better come up for Jekyll or I'll sit there like this:

ReputationRep:
    What drama are you doing?

A good "male and female contrast"y question better come up for Streetcar, and "a novel which isn't set in your time with a theme relevant in today's society"y type question better come up for Jekyll
    I'm doing Othello, am the master of Act 3 Scene 3 but nothing else!

Key Scene has been quite common, but 3.3 doesn't always adapt.

For Gatsby my novel, a narrative question would be nice, or a theme that i can choose myself adding to my appreciate etcetc!

Poetry something to do with Shooting Stars please!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Othello, am the master of Act 3 Scene 3 but nothing else!

Key Scene has been quite common, but 3.3 doesn't always adapt.

For Gatsby my novel, a narrative question would be nice, or a theme that i can choose myself adding to my appreciate etcetc!

Poetry something to do with Shooting Stars please!!
    I'm praying for a visiting hour question, I'm like the master beyond all universes of that poem lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.