Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    I'm praying for a visiting hour question, I'm like the master beyond all universes of that poem lol
    lol i think we looked at that poem very briefly. I remember something about yellow pukey corridors haha. :p:

I have an awesome shooting stars essay that would have worked really well last year on the question about emotion of anguish.

I'm so fed up of that damn Lesbian poet laureate though...

Name:  Carol-Ann-Duffy-001.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  57.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthew93)
    Drama 'Key Scene' question better come up haha, or i'll be screwed for drama lol.
    I totally agree - I love key scene questions, Streetcar's packed with them, I wouldn't know which one to pick! Hopefully I'll have that luxury... :rolleyes:

And yeah, a symbolism question hasn't came up in ageessssss... hmmm... :yep:

It's too difficult to predict - let's just hope we're not faced with something like: "Choose a play in which a character puts on a pair of odd socks..." :p:

Occasionally though, they throw a stonker of a question in, something really specific that I'd predict <1% of people would attempt, and yet on other occasions, they throw in something really vague that practically anybody could do with any text!! :woo: Aw well... just got to wait and see I suppose... :yep:

I'm just so glad that the 'A' mark for English is one of the lowest (65% for a good number of years now, hasn't it?) because it is seriously the scariest Higher. After that one, I'll feel much better. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnsnareTheSenses)
    I totally agree - I love key scene questions, Streetcar's packed with them, I wouldn't know which one to pick! Hopefully I'll have that luxury... :rolleyes:

I'm just so glad that the 'A' mark for English is one of the lowest (65% for a good number of years now, hasn't it?) because it is seriously the scariest Higher. After that one, I'll feel much better. :woo:
    I did some Key Scene revision today, i'm in love with 3.3 Othello!

I know same! Thank god! I got 66% in my prelim so you never know i could get an A in 10 days. :p: omg 10 days ahhh:eek3:
    Would be happy with a B however

Maths 2 years ago it was 79% i think, imagine if it was that high for english lol :eek:
    And i think Higher English is around 56% for a B usually: 13 & 15 in essays, 28 in close reading. Eaaaaaaasy B...i wish :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone find it strange that in a week and a few days we won't have to do all this pointless crap (pardon) against our will again? :woo:

Only if I pass that is lol...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthew93)
    I did some Key Scene revision today, i'm in love with 3.3 Othello!

I know same! Thank god! I got 66% in my prelim so you never know i could get an A in 10 days. :p: omg 10 days ahhh:eek3:
    Would be happy with a B however

Maths 2 years ago it was 79% i think, imagine if it was that high for english lol :eek:
    And i think Higher English is around 56% for a B usually: 13 & 15 in essays, 28 in close reading. Eaaaaaaasy B...i wish :rolleyes:
    Haha it's funny that you mention the Maths 79% thing, because I just looked at that the other night and my eyeballs nearly fell out of my head!! :eek3: Thank goodness last year it dropped to like 72% or something, hopefully they'll maintain it at about that for this year, though I wouldn't complain if they dropped it again!! :woo:

If it was that high for English I think I would die!! :eek: Even just moving the percentage up a fraction would cost hundreds of students an A, so a rise of like 14/15% would be like the end of the world!!! Fingers crossed that doesn't happen, the close reading would need to be on like the Teletubbies or something... :rofl2:

10 days. :eek3: It's kinda a mixture of nerves and excitement for me - nerves for obvious reasons, but excitement for the fact that the pressures of Higher English this year will soon be over!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Does anyone find it strange that in a week and a few days we won't have to do all this pointless crap (pardon) against our will again? :woo:

Only if I pass that is lol...

And yeah, we've all been doing English (to varying degrees of difficulty) since the age of 5 at Primary, it's so weird thinking about the fact that it could be over in 10 days. That is, if we do well, or you are doing Advanced Higher... :yikes:

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, see the last question which is an evaluation question about both passages, what does it mean to comment on ideas and style?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnsnareTheSenses)
    Haha it's funny that you mention the Maths 79% thing, because I just looked at that the other night and my eyeballs nearly fell out of my head!! :eek3: Thank goodness last year it dropped to like 72% or something, hopefully they'll maintain it at about that for this year, though I wouldn't complain if they dropped it again!! :woo:

If it was that high for English I think I would die!! :eek: Even just moving the percentage up a fraction would cost hundreds of students an A, so a rise of like 14/15% would be like the end of the world!!! Fingers crossed that doesn't happen, the close reading would need to be on like the Teletubbies or something... :rofl2:
    Maths i'm not too bothered about as i have a good appeal for an A, but i'd still be a lot happier if it was <72%!

I know eh! English is the subject from hell. My prelim close reading was about stress & destress, i thought it was a bit easy but i was't complaining! 38/50 :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Z_Ahmed)
    Hey everyone, see the last question which is an evaluation question about both passages, what does it mean to comment on ideas and style?
    Ideas are the points raised and style is the way it's written, and you have to compare the two passages using these.

ReputationRep:
    I just did a practice close reading and I got 32/50 but that one wasn't timed and I was checking my answers as I went. Hopefully though I can copy the technique I used in this one and just speed it up and have the same or maybe slightly higher results.

Also if anyone is doing The Glass Menagerie what would you say the key scene is? I've got a few in my head but I don't know if they're right.

ReputationRep:
    Starting to get a bit nervous. But I did well in the prelim so just trying to replicate plus a bit more what I studied for that.

ReputationRep:
    Same. I wrote some timed essays and feel like they are rubbish. I find it hard to analyse properly when under pressure.

Any tips?

I am really really nervous.

ReputationRep:
    i think i've asked this before, or maybe i'm imagining things :rolleyes:

Anyway, have any of you'se for higher english done the double passage close reading on stress? I did for my prelim and got an unusually high mark, does anyone know if this paper was particularly easy?

Tahhhh in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Studying for this exam is like trying to cure a migrane

I plan to finish my essay, do another and then do the 2008 close reading lol.

ReputationRep:
    HIGHER ENGLISH
    CRITICAL ESSAY QUESTIONS

I have decided to publish a few practice critical essay questions due to the exam being close.

There are 15 questions per section, which means that there is 45 questions in total. They cover:

• Drama
    • Prose
    • Poetry

Please read the following points before using these questions:
    • These are unofficial and should only be used for revision purposes. If any of these happen to appear in the exam, then it's purely coincidental.
    • You may find that none of the questions in a particular section fit your texts. If this is the case, please notify me via PM so I can add questions which suit your texts.
    • Not all questions may be consistent with the exam-style questions; these are probably designed as a "revision exercise" so that you can get a deeper understanding of your text.
    • Feedback is always welcome.

Drama
    Section A-DRAMA

1. Choose a play in which the main characters seem to be at the mercy of fate.

Show how the dramatist presents this idea of fate, and discuss the extent to which the role of fate contributes to the concerns of the play.

2. Choose a play in which a main character is in conflict with their society.

Identify what this conflict is, and explain how this contributes to your understanding of an important theme.

3. Choose a play which successfully employs stage direction.

Show how the stage direction adds to your enjoyment of the play, and discuss to what extent it enables you to understand the play’s deeper meaning.

4. Choose a play where one scene in particular is central to the development of the play’s theme(s).

Briefly describe what happens in this scene that is central to the development of the play’s theme(s), and go on to discuss how it adds to your overall understanding of the play.

5. Choose a play where the main character contrasts with another.

Explain why the two characters contrast, and discuss how this contrast depict a certain theme.

6. Choose a play in which the main character or characters are presented as being outsiders or isolated from people and/or society.

Show how the dramatist creates this impression and discuss to what extent their isolation contributes to the main theme of the play.

7. Choose a play in which the protagonist makes a grave decision.

Briefly outline the decision the protagonist makes, and discuss how it affects the play as a whole.

8. Choose a play in which you found funny or shocking parts when reading it.

Explain the funny or shocking parts which you read, and how they contribute to your overall understanding of the play as a whole.

9. Choose a play which depicts a troubled relationship.

Show why the relationship is troubled, and how the dramatist has used this troubled relationship to convey one of the following: theme, contrast, plot…

10. Choose a play in which an important truth about a character is revealed.

Identify what this truth is, and discuss how its revelation is essential in your understanding of the character.

11. Choose a play in which setting in place or time is major in depicting a theme.

Discuss in detail what this setting is, and explain how it depicts the play’s on-going theme(s).

12. Choose a play which deals with one or more of the following: appearances vs. reality, jealously, death, conflict and/or old vs. new.

Explain how this/these are depicted in the play, and go on to discuss their overall significance in the play.

13. Choose a play which deals with the complexity of the human condition.

Show how the play illustrates this complexity, and explain how this adds to your understanding of the characters or themes in the play.

14. Choose a play in which a male and a female character contrast significantly.

Briefly outline this contrast, and discuss to what extent it contributes to your overall enjoyment or understanding of the play.

15. Choose a play which is set in the past, but has a theme relevant to your own society.

Discuss in detail what this theme is, and show how the dramatist depicts it.

ProseTo be published

PoetryTo be published

ReputationRep:
    Wrote a timed essay not long ago, going to do a single passage close reading now before a family guy marathon

Also thanks a lot for them essays above Luh-Lah , will try some of the ones relevant to Othello

ReputationRep:
    Has anyones teachers told you what they think may come up this year? My teacher believes that one in prose will be conflict and in poetry - nature.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think its possible that a good question will come up on Hamlet? My teacher said that there usually is, i hope so because i really prefer Hamlet to the novel im studying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haffie)
    Has anyones teachers told you what they think may come up this year? My teacher believes that one in prose will be conflict and in poetry - nature.

Those questions would be amazing.

Especially "Death of a naturalist" for nature poem

See for conflict essays do you just go through the novel and mention the different parts which show conflict, would you not end up repeating yourself quite a lot saying "This demonstrates the conflict"........."this shows thw conflict", etc?

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm deleting those then.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.