Turn on thread page Beta

The Official Higher English Thread: Help and Discussion :: Pre-Exam Discussion watch

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else panicking that absolutely nothing will come up for their texts? I know I am...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Well I'm deleting those then.

Why??

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And see for (conflict) questions in prose, I find it hard to stop myself basically repeating what I have just said before.

e.g. say I have a conflict question, my novel is full of conflict but they all show the same point of conflict. Any help?

And does anyone have a good example of a proper Higher English Nature Poem Question?

ReputationRep:
    Any tips or example essays for "A View from the Bridge" by Arthur Miller??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garlicbreadman)
    Why??

And see for (conflict) questions in prose, I find it hard to stop myself basically repeating what I have just said before.

e.g. say I have a conflict question, my novel is full of conflict but they all show the same point of conflict. Any help?

And does anyone have a good example of a proper Higher English Nature Poem Question?
    I thought noone wanted them and I know what you mean with the repeating thing. When writing about each bit, try and add a new insight to the conflict in your analysis points, that way it's more varied and stuff like that.

ReputationRep:
    In the last question in close reading where it asks you which was more effective, do you have to say that passage x was effective because blah blah blah but passage y is also effective because blah blah blah.

Or do you have to say why one was effective and why the other wasn't?

ReputationRep:
    It does not really matter as long as you make clear your preference, however I find going totally in favour of one is more convincing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garlicbreadman)
    Why??

Lucky you - conflict questions come up quite a lot, and in my novel, EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER IS COMPLETELY PASSIVE TO EVERYTHING!!! :mad: They don't argue or shout or even get angry with anybody! :eek3: It's a nightmare...

I've looked at recent past papers (i.e. 2007 and 2008) and I am REALLY struggling to find any questions for prose. There is no conflict, no real love and no 'heroes' in my novel. The 2009 paper has a weak question on setting, but since that was just last year, and it was a question in my P+N prelim, I doubt very much it will come up on the 12th.

You could say that it bodes well that nothing has come up for my text in a few years - you would assume that this would be the year that something good comes up. Ideally, I would love sympathy for a character, a shocking moment/revelation, narrative perspective, symbolism or isolation. What do you think my chances are? :confused:

Officially worried now- I wish you could pick two questions from the same category...

ReputationRep:
    After talking to my friend, I have had a major kick in the **** about this exam.

ReputationRep:
    Past paper qu's from 2002-2009
    http://misterg.edublogs.org/2010/03/09/essay-questions/

ReputationRep:
    GRRRR

I can't seem to be able to write two essays in 90 minutes! Maybe I should write my prose essay before the other one...

ReputationRep:
    Im Soooo worried about the time, in most of the timed essays I have done in class I have only just managed to finish OHHHH GOD. I hate this feeling

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, exam adrenaline will be your friend. Just don't fanny about.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've just signed up for tsr, but have been reading posts for a while. What really confuses me on all the higher english forums I've been on is that people say they always get 18/20 etc on their essays. I was under the impression that the essays were done on the basis of odd number marking (ie 15, 17, 19, 21)?

Anyway though, I'm totally bricking it for next week, I find it so hard to write more than 3 pages each essay in the time we have. And it's even worse not knowing which questions will come up!
    By the way, is anybody here doing Consider the Lilies by Iain Crichton Smith? Because it's possibly the most boring book I have ever read in my entire life. I HATE English, but added to my hatred is probably my teacher's attitude about temperature in his classroom (most definitely the coldest room in the building, but he insists you take your jackets off and then opens the windows).
    Now that rant is over, I would like to thank LuhLah for the post helping with close reading, twas awesome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnsnareTheSenses)
    Lucky you - conflict questions come up quite a lot, and in my novel, EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER IS COMPLETELY PASSIVE TO EVERYTHING!!! :mad: They don't argue or shout or even get angry with anybody! :eek3: It's a nightmare...

I've looked at recent past papers (i.e. 2007 and 2008) and I am REALLY struggling to find any questions for prose. There is no conflict, no real love and no 'heroes' in my novel. The 2009 paper has a weak question on setting, but since that was just last year, and it was a question in my P+N prelim, I doubt very much it will come up on the 12th.

You could say that it bodes well that nothing has come up for my text in a few years - you would assume that this would be the year that something good comes up. Ideally, I would love sympathy for a character, a shocking moment/revelation, narrative perspective, symbolism or isolation. What do you think my chances are? :confused:

Officially worried now- I wish you could pick two questions from the same category...
    Are you doing Great Gatsby by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheColourPurple)
    Are you doing Great Gatsby by any chance?
    No, I wish. :no: I'm doing "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro as my novel. It's very dark, and centres around human clones that basically get chopped up for their organs once they are old enough. Uplifting stuff...

It does work for some questions, but it's nothing like staple Higher classics, like GG for instance, which the exam writers almost always create questions for. :mad:

Sympathy for a character in prose would be an absolute dream of a question... :rolleyes:

On average, how long (word count) would you say your essays were?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usernames are for losers)
    Hi, I've just signed up for tsr, but have been reading posts for a while. What really confuses me on all the higher english forums I've been on is that people say they always get 18/20 etc on their essays. I was under the impression that the essays were done on the basis of odd number marking (ie 15, 17, 19, 21)?

Anyway though, I'm totally bricking it for next week, I find it so hard to write more than 3 pages each essay in the time we have. And it's even worse not knowing which questions will come up!
    By the way, is anybody here doing Consider the Lilies by Iain Crichton Smith? Because it's possibly the most boring book I have ever read in my entire life. I HATE English, but added to my hatred is probably my teacher's attitude about temperature in his classroom (most definitely the coldest room in the building, but he insists you take your jackets off and then opens the windows).
    Now that rant is over, I would like to thank LuhLah for the post helping with close reading, twas awesome
    I think they changed it this year with the marking.

And yw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    I think they changed it this year with the marking.
    Pretty sure they did. Each essay is out of 25 (so 50 in total for the essay part) and they are marked in odd numbers....That much I paid attention to. I don't care, as long as I pass!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evel4)
    Pretty sure they did. Each essay is out of 25 (so 50 in total for the essay part) and they are marked in odd numbers....That much I paid attention to. I don't care, as long as I pass!
    I get even number marks all the time though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnsnareTheSenses)

On average, how long (word count) would you say your essays were?
    I've been wondering this too! Mine are pretty much uniformly 600 under exam conditions.

Yours?

ReputationRep:
    Right i need some advice / help urgently.

I bought York Notes selected poems by Carol Ann Duffy off Amazon but it has none of the poems that i study in class in it:eek3:

Can anyone recommend books that have revision notes for poems Valentine, Before You Were Mine, Shooting Stars and / or War Photographer? And where to purchase such notes, as the notes i have from class are really insufficient :eek:

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.