Turn on thread page Beta

The Official Higher English Thread: Help and Discussion :: Pre-Exam Discussion watch

ReputationRep:
    Woah woah woah.
    Let's clear the thing up about even/odd marking. Do the SQA mark in odd or even? my teacher has been marking odd all year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RizzyI)
    Woah woah woah.
    Let's clear the thing up about even/odd marking. Do the SQA mark in odd or even? my teacher has been marking odd all year...
    I'm pretty sure it's odd.

ReputationRep:
    I have about 8 close reading to do by wednesday ahhh btw I have the 2002 past paper if anyone wants it ? i'll upload it tonight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefany-a)
    I have about 8 close reading to do by wednesday ahhh btw I have the 2002 past paper if anyone wants it ? i'll upload it tonight
    Please to be uploading it

ReputationRep:
    Woah woah woah.
    Probably odd, but I've been getting a mix all year

(Original post by Nonie No)
    Help :confused:

ReputationRep:
    How many texts is everyone studying?

I'm doing 4.

1 play, 1 poem, 1 short story and 1 non fiction piece.

ReputationRep:
    Woah woah woah.
    I'm almost certain that all of the teachers in my school are marking in odd numbers.
    That's why I was confused when people said they got 18s.
    It wont really matter at the end of the day anyway though, we'll all just need to try our best and the essays we do will be marked in the same way as everybody else's, even or odd.
    So don't worry about it, the markers will be told how to mark it and we'll all be in the same boat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Livesindreams)
    Please to be uploading it
    my scanner isn't working for some reason, but here a specimen close readng + marking scheme you can try
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf EnglishHigherSpecimen06.pdf (296.6 KB, 252 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lackofcolour)
    How many texts is everyone studying?

I'm doing 4.

1 play, 1 poem, 1 short story and 1 non fiction piece.
    (thanks for the replies about SQA marking everyone)

I'm doing a novel, play and 3 poems. I really want to focus on the poems and play though..

ReputationRep:
    my scanner isn't working for some reason, but here a specimen close readng + marking scheme you can try
    It's okay and thanks
    I'll probably be attempting this one soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Livesindreams)
    It's okay and thanks
    I'll probably be attempting this one soon.
    I am so annoyed at myself for not doing close reading pastpapers from the start and leaving it so late

ReputationRep:
    I am so annoyed at myself for not doing close reading pastpapers from the start and leaving it so late
    Same but I guess it's better late than never.

ReputationRep:
    On average how long is your essays? Is about 3 and a half an average?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Z_Ahmed)
    Yes. I do around 4 pages written, 1100 words typed - however it really depends on what you say. Quality over quantity after all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Z_Ahmed)
    I usually write 3 and a half to four pages in each essay and I have quite big writing.

ReputationRep:
    My essays are normally about 900 - 1000 words each, but that's me REALLY pushing it. In my prelim I was literally on my last sentence when the invigilator said: "Finish off the sentence you're on, time is up."

I was like phew...

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how to approach 'U/A' questions?

ReputationRep:
    For the Critical Essay paper, I am planning on doing:

Novel - The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark
    Poem - Church Going by Phillip Larkin
    Poem - The Jaguar by Ted Hughes
    Short Story - The Flowers by Alice Walker

Is this enough? I'm so worried!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz23)
    For the Critical Essay paper, I am planning on doing:

Novel - The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark
    Poem - Church Going by Phillip Larkin
    Poem - The Jaguar by Ted Hughes
    Short Story - The Flowers by Alice Walker

Is this enough? I'm so worried!
    Yeah it seems so, although you are limiting your chances by not having a play - did your class study one? If not, that's a bit of a bummer, questions for plays are usually a lot nicer than questions for poetry...

I think that's why I've kinda ditched my poems, in favour of just focussing on my novel and play. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnsnareTheSenses)

I think that's why I've kinda ditched my poems, in favour of just focussing on my novel and play. :woo:
    Heh, I've ditched my novel so I can focus on my poems and play. I don't know if that's a good thing. I'm doing a Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams which covers a huge range of questions so I'm pretty sure that one will come up for that. I'm doing 3 poems also, to compensate for not focusing on my novel. Mind you, I can still write about the novel if a question doesn't come up for my poem or drama but it won't be good enough.

Also, can the markers negate marks in close reading? Like if I say something correct then sort of go off on a tangent/say something incorrect...?

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.