Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Official Higher English Thread: Help and Discussion :: Pre-Exam Discussion watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RizzyI)
    Heh, I've ditched my novel so I can focus on my poems and play. I don't know if that's a good thing. I'm doing a Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams which covers a huge range of questions so I'm pretty sure that one will come up for that. I'm doing 3 poems also, to compensate for not focusing on my novel. Mind you, I can still write about the novel if a question doesn't come up for my poem or drama but it won't be good enough.

Also, can the markers negate marks in close reading? Like if I say something correct then sort of go off on a tangent/say something incorrect...?
    Nope, unless you miss the point completely like "the writer has a very serious tone" but in fact he's got a flippant tone then you miss a mark, but there's no definitive list of answers so you'll be fine

and Streetcar :woo: I'm hoping for a good question about Blanche coming up.

Anyone else all-nightering tonight? :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    OMG IM SO STRUGGLING,
    i have Othello as a text but have never done a good essay on it
    could anyone help me with quotes that could fit under any of these types of question:
    appearance versus reality of iago, i only had 'honest iago' and 'i am not what i am'
    or something to do with the character of othello being betrayed or isolated etc,quotes which would fit under both of these together would awesome please private message me if you can help xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RizzyI)
    Heh, I've ditched my novel so I can focus on my poems and play. I don't know if that's a good thing. I'm doing a Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams which covers a huge range of questions so I'm pretty sure that one will come up for that. I'm doing 3 poems also, to compensate for not focusing on my novel. Mind you, I can still write about the novel if a question doesn't come up for my poem or drama but it won't be good enough.

Also, can the markers negate marks in close reading? Like if I say something correct then sort of go off on a tangent/say something incorrect...?
    Yay, I'm doing Streetcar too! It's a pretty safe bet isn't it? God, I wish I could just write two essays on it... :rolleyes:

Um, if your poems work for a lot of questions, and you are comfortable doing them, then go for it!! I've always just found it easier to manipulate questions on prose - they tend to be more general.

I don't think negation is a factor in English, because it is very hard to class something as 'incorrect'. :yep: However, if for example you wrote a correct answer in admidst a pile of COMPLETE rubbish, it might be difficult for the marker to pick out your correct answer, and you may miss the mark. I wouldn't worry about negation though in general, it's mainly reserved for the sciences (especially Biology).

ReputationRep:
    Heh, nice to see you and LuhLah doing Streetcar!!

Yeah, I guess I'm more comfortable writing about poems because you can really go in depth whereas a novel is more generAL i guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)

Anyone else all-nightering tonight? :awesome:
    Me, I have 2 close reading past papers to do, learn my notes for Lord of the flies and Holy willies prayer.. it will be a night of some serious cramming

ReputationRep:
    Anyone done the crucible?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by claire__x)
    OMG IM SO STRUGGLING,
    i have Othello as a text but have never done a good essay on it
    could anyone help me with quotes that could fit under any of these types of question:
    appearance versus reality of iago, i only had 'honest iago' and 'i am not what i am'
    or something to do with the character of othello being betrayed or isolated etc,quotes which would fit under both of these together would awesome please private message me if you can help xx
    Ok i'm doing this completely from memory so forgive me that many of the quotations will not be perfect. Here goes though:

Iago with appearance/reality:

IAGO "But i will wear my heart upon my sleeve for daws to peck at
    I am not what I am"
    OTHELLO "My friend, thy husband, honest, honest Iago"
    RODERIGO "Thou words and actions are no kin together"
    IAGO "But that filches from me my good name,/ Robs me of that which not enriches him,/ And makes me poor indeed"
    MONTANO "If partially affined or leagued in office,/ Thou dost deliver more or less than truth,/ Thou art no soldier".
    IAGO "When devils will the blackest sins put on, they do with heavenly show as I do now"

Remember that the concept of appearance vs. reality can apply to characters other than Iago. Othello appears to be a valiant general who possesses this amazing self-confidence and eloquence which we admire him for. "My parts my title and my perfect soul/ Shall manifest me rightly". But at the same time he is also deeply deeply insecure about his age, his race, and his social class with regard to his marriage to Desdemona.

Ok Othello being isolated/betrayed/whatever:

OTHELLO "My parts my title and my perfect soul / Shall manifest me rightly" - full of confidence but constant use of the first person perhaps hints at an underlying insecurity and sense of alienation?
    BRABANTIO "Damned as thou art, thou hast enchanted her" - sees him as a cultural alien.
    IAGO "The Moor is of a free and open nature, / That thinks men honest that but seem to be so, / And will as tenderly be led by the nose, / As asses are"
    EMILIA "Hath she forsook so many noble matches, / Her father and her country and her friends / To be call'd whore?"
    OTHELLO "Where a malignant and a turbaned Turk,/ Beat a Venetian and traduced the state"
    OTHELLO "Haply for I am black,/ And have not the soft parts of conversation,/ That chamberers have"
    OTHELLO "super subtle Venetian"

I hope this helps. Good luck =)

ReputationRep:
    Good Evening,

In the critical essays, if the quetion was for example,

Choose from a play a scene which significantly changes your view on a character

or

Choose a novel in which there is a confrontational scene between 2 character,

How do you answer this? Do you explain the scene, then show before that scene and after, or do you explain from start - scene - end?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam4393)
    Good Evening,

In the critical essays, if the quetion was for example,

Choose from a play a scene which significantly changes your view on a character

or

Choose a novel in which there is a confrontational scene between 2 character,

How do you answer this? Do you explain the scene, then show before that scene and after, or do you explain from start - scene - end?

Thanks
    What I got told was to make it clear what scene you are referring in the introduction, like a few lines about the scene. Then go on to say before - scene - after. I don't think there's a right or wrong method but if you make sure you let the examiner know that you are answering the question and referring back to it, I'm sure you'll answer it just fine.

This is getting me 17's/19's with essays on those type of questions so I guess I'm doing something right. :P (but then again, don't take it too seriously as I'm not an english teacher!!)

ReputationRep:
    feel so tired ahh I hate studying for english + all nighters

ReputationRep:
    Anyone happen to have notes on: "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy, "The Crucible" by Arthur Miler, "To a Mouse" and "A Man's a Man for a' That" by Robert Burns, and "Punishment" and "Follower" by Seamus Heaney?

Anything's good!

Also, I kinda lost Punishment so... :erm: if you happen to know where I can find it online, I'd be really grateful.

ReputationRep:
    Just a point to remind everyone of that the head of English pointed out to us today. Apparently they're changing the Understanding (U) questions slightly, in that they aren't going to include "Answer in your own words as far as possible etc in each individual understanding question, but you need to remember to do this in the exam for all of the understanding questions!

ReputationRep:
    ahh man just got back from the library, I still have 5 close reading pastpapers to do but definitely noticed and improvement in close reading just a few hours to go now

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, my teacher told me this a few weeks ago. The examiners are assuming that the candidate will answer every question in their own words. Well, every understanding question anyway. Cheers for the reminder.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I would like to know if these texts are enough/too much for the exam.

I am studying: " A Devils Disciple" (Play) I am hoping this will be able to cover questions involving key scenes, scenes which change your view of a character.

" Brave New World" (Novel) This will be useful for answering questions to do with confrontation, a novel with a theme relevant to today’s society, key scenes.

"Fearless" and Rupert Bear and the San Izal" (Short Stories, likely to do a compare question on them) Would probably only do these if a Brave New World question didn’t come up as my knowledge of them isn’t great. Not sure what type of questions these would cover apart from surprise endings?

"Personal Helicon" (Poem) Deals with a childhood experience, contrast between childhood and adulthood.

"Ambulances" (Poem) I would use this for a question asking about atmosphere, as it is a sinister poem.

"A red, red rose" (Poem) This could be used for questions about love.

I’m trying to make sure I have a text for most kind of questions as last year I struggled in the exam, do you think these will be okay, or should I maybe not learn them all?

ReputationRep:
    Evening. As of right now I am trying to memorise quotes for The Glass Menagerie and to get my head around The Great Gatsby in general. Hoping for a play and a poetry question (and with the poems that I have I should be okay), though if I only get one on either of these (which I pray doesn't happen) then I'll be forced to do TGG...eek.

Material I have to work with:

The Glass Menagerie, by Tennessee Williams (play) - Know this pretty well, was actually the better of my two essays in the prelim (19/25 compared with 15/25 for the poetry), which I didn't expect. Themes of escapism, scenes of tension between the members of the family, quite dysfunctional (eg. Laura's leg impediment, Tom being trapped between his job at the warehouse and his nagging mother who returned what she thought were 'filthy' novels to the library, struck out at him after Jim was revealed to be engaged, all of which led him to leave the family at the end of the play, Amanda herself being melodramatic and manipulative). So yeah, I'm really hoping for a question on this. Still need to get my head around certain quotes though.

Afternoons, by Philip Larkin (poem) - Memorised this, thank God. Know what each line means, connotations etc., though I really hope I don't fall into the whole 'guided tour' approach I'm not supposed to do. I'll think of something.

Sparrow, by Norman MacCaig (poem) - Also memorised this, know each line as well, same as above though. Only done one essay on this as well, which I wasn't very good at.

At Grass, by Philip Larkin (poem) - Bit shaky on this, haven't completely memorised this though I know the poem quite well. Similar theme to Afternoons anyway, that of the effects of time passing and producing positive results.

The Great Gatsby (novel) - Really didn't like this. Aside from that though, it's rather complicated to write about. Know a specific incident I'd write about if it did come down to that (the scene in the Plaza Hotel where Tom reveals that he knew of Gatsby's shady past all along, though there's a lot more to it that I'm not so sure about.) Checked the TV Tropes page of it on a whim though, actually helps quite a bit.

I'm quite excited but afraid at the same time...and I kinda HAVE to pass this because I really don't want to retake it and do a folio. Lucky that I'm doing it this year.

@usernames are for losers: Thank you for that, was wondering what changes they'd made this year. Shame it's only something that small, I always do the Understanding ones in my own words anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I just crapped it a little bit there
    how many people are sitting this tomorrow? Mine is definitely on Wednesday. I just triple checked cos I thought I must be wrong. the sqa timetable builder now says its on tuesday, but the first time I did it it came up as the wednesday, and the one my school gave out says the 12th as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usernames are for losers)
    I just crapped it a little bit there
    how many people are sitting this tomorrow? Mine is definitely on Wednesday. I just triple checked cos I thought I must be wrong. the sqa timetable builder now says its on tuesday, but the first time I did it it came up as the wednesday, and the one my school gave out says the 12th as well.
    No one's sitting it tomorrow. I've just checked everything I can find on the sqa site and everything says Wednesday.

You scared the bejeses out of me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lulope)
    No one's sitting it tomorrow. I've just checked everything I can find on the sqa site and everything says Wednesday.

You scared the bejeses out of me!
    Sorry lol
    I was sooo scared too cos I read comments saying only a few hours left and then was like, no, i have a whole day!
    I'm really not prepared enough but I better do well because if I had to resit I would probably die. Higher English is most definitely my most hated subject EVER!!
    and sorry again :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usernames are for losers)
    Sorry lol
    I was sooo scared too cos I read comments saying only a few hours left and then was like, no, i have a whole day!
    I'm really not prepared enough but I better do well because if I had to resit I would probably die. Higher English is most definitely my most hated subject EVER!!
    and sorry again :L
    Haha (:

No we definitely have a whole day of cramming left And don't worry about it I'm sure you'll ace it (: Just do good in the close reading and kinda average in the essays and you've almost definitely got an A.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.