Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lulope)
    Haha (:

No we definitely have a whole day of cramming left And don't worry about it I'm sure you'll ace it (: Just do good in the close reading and kinda average in the essays and you've almost definitely got an A.
    Thanks lol, my english teacher gave me a close reading back today and he was all pissed because i had misinterpreted a question and lost like 3 marks, so i may need to still work on the close readings though. And when I'm doing them at home I write really good essays, but they tend to be pretty average (or below) when timed, so I'll just need to hope for the best. What can I say though, I have a maths brain! I used to be good at English and then I started doing really well in Maths and English went downhill

Sounds like you have the right mindset though, I'm sure you'll do brilliantly! Good luck with all your exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usernames are for losers)
    Sorry lol
    I was sooo scared too cos I read comments saying only a few hours left and then was like, no, i have a whole day!
    I'm really not prepared enough but I better do well because if I had to resit I would probably die. Higher English is most definitely my most hated subject EVER!!
    and sorry again :L
    Ditto

I think if you combined all the hatred felt towards higher English together it would equal the hatred felt towards Hitler.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usernames are for losers)
    Thanks lol, my english teacher gave me a close reading back today and he was all pissed because i had misinterpreted a question and lost like 3 marks, so i may need to still work on the close readings though. And when I'm doing them at home I write really good essays, but they tend to be pretty average (or below) when timed, so I'll just need to hope for the best. What can I say though, I have a maths brain! I used to be good at English and then I started doing really well in Maths and English went downhill

Sounds like you have the right mindset though, I'm sure you'll do brilliantly! Good luck with all your exams
    Thanks Same to you. And at least if it all goes to pot we can complain bitterly

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone atleast help with parts of my earlier post? Like if you know something about one of the texts I posted? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Right just woke up from some sorta power nap type thing. Now it's time to work on those close reading skills! Oh the joys of Higher English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Livesindreams)
    Right just woke up from some sorta power nap type thing. Now it's time to work on those close reading skills! Oh the joys of Higher English.
    Fool! You need lots o sleep to be able to concentrate fully in an exam. And that isn't just the night before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CT_Scan)
    Fool! You need lots o sleep to be able to concentrate fully in an exam. And that isn't just the night before
    Thanks for looking out for me
    But my idea of a power nap lasted from 20:30 to about 22:30 and I'm only up to do one close reading then going back to sleep and getting up at about 9am.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone? I'm getting quite worried now, sorry for all the posts I just really need to hear some feedback about my texts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan-Scotland)
    Anyone? I'm getting quite worried now, sorry for all the posts I just really need to hear some feedback about my texts.
    Sorry mate but I haven't read any of your texts, but to answer your question about learning them all: I say if you are confident about your drama and prose then learn 1 or two other poems but if you aren't confident with your prose then do drama and 3/4 poems etc.

But it's good to know the basics about each of your texts, like an overview of what it's about and everything JUST IN CASE.

Also, does anyone know the difference between tone and mood?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan-Scotland)
    Hi I would like to know if these texts are enough/too much for the exam.

I am studying: " A Devils Disciple" (Play) I am hoping this will be able to cover questions involving key scenes, scenes which change your view of a character.

A scene question is pretty much guaranteed every year.

" Brave New World" (Novel) This will be useful for answering questions to do with confrontation, a novel with a theme relevant to today’s society, key scenes.

"Fearless" and Rupert Bear and the San Izal" (Short Stories, likely to do a compare question on them) Would probably only do these if a Brave New World question didn’t come up as my knowledge of them isn’t great. Not sure what type of questions these would cover apart from surprise endings?

"Personal Helicon" (Poem) Deals with a childhood experience, contrast between childhood and adulthood.

"Ambulances" (Poem) I would use this for a question asking about atmosphere, as it is a sinister poem.

"A red, red rose" (Poem) This could be used for questions about love.

I’m trying to make sure I have a text for most kind of questions as last year I struggled in the exam, do you think these will be okay, or should I maybe not learn them all?
    Trust me, you have more than enough.

I only have a play, novel and poem.

However, I can write about theme, key scene, character and character error for my play (Macbeth)

For novel, conflict, theme relevant to today, character, etc are good.

For my poem - nature, childhood experience AND sinister, unsettling atmosphere, loss of innocence.

You have me worried as well now :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both for your help

To RizzyI: Tone is the writer's attitude toward the subject he or she is writing about. On the other hand, mood is the feeling the reader gets when reading something

To Garlicbreadman: Well if your knowledge of each text is sound then you will be fine if the questions are decent. I'm only trying to revise so many as last year I messed up in my exam and I really don't want it to happen again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RizzyI)
    Sorry mate but I haven't read any of your texts, but to answer your question about learning them all: I say if you are confident about your drama and prose then learn 1 or two other poems but if you aren't confident with your prose then do drama and 3/4 poems etc.

But it's good to know the basics about each of your texts, like an overview of what it's about and everything JUST IN CASE.

Also, does anyone know the difference between tone and mood?
    The important concept about tone is the 'voice' that would be used to say the sentence or word.

The voice gives you the tone. i.e, imagine reading it out loud. And the words we use to describe tone are the same kind of words we use to describe a voice - angry, happy, tongue-in-cheek, serious, humurous, doom-laden, ironic, portentuous, hectoring, sarcastic.

Process:

1) An identification of an appropriate tone;
    2) Evidence from the text to support your choice;
    3) A comment on how the tone is created.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Questions on mood have some things in common with questions on tone. The method is the same. There are three necessities. Your answer must contain:

1) An identification of an appropriate mood;
    3) A comment on how the mood is created.

Just as in tone you were looking for the 'voice' in which something was said (or read) so in mood you are looking for an 'emotional' dimension which you can identify in the passage you have been referred to
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I might as well explain atmosphere:

Questions on atmosphere have some things in common with questions on tone. The method is the same. There are three necessities. Your answer must contain:

1) An identification of an appropriate atmosphere;
    3) A comment on how the atmosphere is created.

Just as in tone you were looking for the 'voice' in which something was said (or read) so in atmosphere you are looking for some sort of 'INVOLVEMENTOF THE SENSES' which you can identify in the passage you have been referred to.

ReputationRep:
    Woah thanks man! +rep for you

ReputationRep:
    I've posted this on another thread but it's not as popular so I'll have a go here if that's alright xD
    For drama essays, when you reference a particular act is it correct to capitalise the reference, as in Act 1 Scene 1?
    Last minute panic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polpettina)
    I've posted this on another thread but it's not as popular so I'll have a go here if that's alright xD
    For drama essays, when you reference a particular act is it correct to capitalise the reference, as in Act 1 Scene 1?
    Last minute panic
    I don't think it actually matter tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polpettina)
    Last minute panic
    It doesn't matter, I mean if you feel it is a very important scene capitalise it, or don't. Up to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garlicbreadman)
    It doesn't matter, I mean if you feel it is a very important scene capitalise it, or don't. Up to you
    Oh okay, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    M'kay:

"Show how the writer conveys x through y. 4 A"

Would two developed points suffice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    M'kay:

Perhaps ,if you wrote two very long and detailed points but my teacher always said that no matter how confident you are, always do four poitns just in case fot a guaranteed four marks. If you can't find a fourth point, then do three but expand one... or if you are like me and goes crazy over all four points (and hence waste time )....

Hope that helped. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    M'kay:

Yeah I'd go for 4 points as well.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.