Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Official Higher English Thread: Help and Discussion :: Pre-Exam Discussion Watch

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again. I'll be repping you all the help you've given me and others.

ReputationRep:
    in the big evaluation question at the end, if your giving points for an article, and a few points against the other article. Which constitutes as reasonable answers "against" a certain article. Does disagreeing with the writers opinion count as one? Also could you pick out a literary technique in article 2, and pick out a literary technique in article 1, and say that article 1 had a more effective literary technique than article 2 in portraying the writers ideas?

Am i on the right lines?

ReputationRep:
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrr rrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggghhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:eek3:

OFFICIAL FREAK OUT TIME!!!!!!

I'm never going to remember my quotes for tomorrow

However, if there was an exam for procrastination....

I'm so screwed!!!

Ok, freakout over, I'm sorry to have burdened you all with that. I find writing pointless messages much better for stress relief than screaming into a pillow

ReputationRep:
    I just want to wish everybody the BEST OF LUCK for tomorrow - I don't think it's gonna be as bad as everyone thinks it will be, and even if it is, it'll all be over in a matter of hours...!

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    As of right now I have about eleven and a half hours to go, quite excited and scared at the same time. I hope to do my best anyway.

Also, I was sure that in the essay, even if you don't remember the necessary quotes for the situation you're describing, you'll still be able to get credit for very close reference to what you're describing instead. Different for poetry though, but that's obvious.

ReputationRep:
    Okay everyone, I'm going to sleep
    Good Luck!
    I probably wont come on this for a while after the exam, cos I'll just start freaking out over everything I've got wrong, so good luck in all of the other exams too!

ReputationRep:
    I should probably get some sleep but going to stay up and cram, cram, cram. I'm feeling quite confident about my essays, (The Bluest Eye, Death of a Salesmen & 2 poems) but not too keen on the close reading as I'm very hit or miss. Hope it goes well for everyone, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    xxxx
    good luck Luhlah, thanks for making this thread and alll of those help us link

ReputationRep:
    :eek: :eek: :eek3: :eek: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefany-a)
    good luck Luhlah, thanks for making this thread and alll of those help us link
    Thanks! You too! :hugs:

At least I got a good sleep lol

ReputationRep:
    Sooo how'd it go?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justasmalltowngirl)
    Sooo how'd it go?!
    Surprisingly well!!

Close reading seemed fine and good essay questions came up, so relieved haha :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justasmalltowngirl)
    Sooo how'd it go?!
    Good! :eek3:
    I really enjoyed the close reading. Like the passages and topic, thought the questions were fair, managed to FINISH and wrote some ok answers. I wrote the biggest load of b******* for the evaluation question though but I'm always bad at that!
    Essay questions were absolute gifts! Spent a couple of minutes deciding which two I would choose as there was a great question for each of my texts in drama, prose and poetry. Went for drama ("Romeo and Juliet" ) and poetry ("Lady Lazarus" ) Finished both essays! Think my "Romeo and Juliet" one was stronger but I was pleased with them both considering time constraints! Had to get more paper for the essays as I finished the booklet (my writing is absolutely huge!)
    Also, did a practice essay paper last night and two very similar questions to the one's I did last night came up!
    Saying that I probably still failed! :o: Hope it went ok for everyone else. Just think.... NO MORE ENGLISH! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alasdair1993)
    Good! :eek3:
    I really enjoyed the close reading. Like the passages and topic, thought the questions were fair, managed to FINISH and wrote some ok answers. I wrote the biggest load of b******* for the evaluation question though but I'm always bad at that!
    Essay questions were absolute gifts! Spent a couple of minutes deciding which two I would choose as there was a great question for each of my texts in drama, prose and poetry. Went for drama ("Romeo and Juliet" ) and poetry ("Lady Lazarus" ) Finished both essays! Think my "Romeo and Juliet" one was stronger but I was pleased with them both considering time constraints! Had to get more paper for the essays as I finished the booklet (my writing is absolutely huge!)Also, did a practice essay paper last night and two very similar questions to the one's I did last night came up!
    Saying that I probably still failed! :o: Hope it went ok for everyone else. Just think.... NO MORE ENGLISH! :woo:

Haha me too! For both the close reading and the essays! The invigilator kept smiling at me, because she's had to do it so many times over the years... in my hurry, my writing was even bigger than normal, and that's saying something!! :yep:

I thought it was a good paper. I felt the understanding questions were more diffcult than analysis - shocker! :eek3: I thought the very first question was the most difficult!!! But it was pretty good, got it finished and didn't miss anything out, although I wouldn't have minded an extra few minutes just to tidy some of the answers up and explain some of them a little more fully.

Essays - :woo: I couldn't believe it! The types of question I thought would come up didn't, but the ones I picked worked really well, and I finished both of the essays with a little bit of time to spare - which is not like me at all! :p:

I'm so chilled now, haven't got an exam until next Tuesday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnsnareTheSenses)
    Haha me too! For both the close reading and the essays! The invigilator kept smiling at me, because she's had to do it so many times over the years... in my hurry, my writing was even bigger than normal, and that's saying something!! :yep:

I thought it was a good paper. I felt the understanding questions were more diffcult than analysis - shocker! :eek3: I thought the very first question was the most difficult!!! But it was pretty good, got it finished and didn't miss anything out, although I wouldn't have minded an extra few minutes just to tidy some of the answers up and explain some of them a little more fully.

Essays - :woo: I couldn't believe it! The types of question I thought would come up didn't, but the ones I picked worked really well, and I finished both of the essays with a little bit of time to spare - which is not like me at all! :p:

I'm so chilled now, haven't got an exam until next Tuesday!
    I didn't have to write bad romance

It's so weird, normally TSR makes me feel like crap after exams, but now I feel like I've got an A

ReputationRep:
    Close Reading was, ehm, okay. Cocked up on the Compare and Contrast question at the end, but I think I did okay on the rest of the paper. The Critical Essay was a bit stressful though, did okay on my poetry essay (number sixteen, on Afternoons and At Grass by Philip Larkin), but I nearly ran out of time on my essay on The Glass Menagerie...which I kinda bombed anyway. Shame that, two of the questions were very good, I picked number two anyway which I regret a bit. Thank God I didn't have to do one on The Great Gatsby.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, we've all just finished Higher English.

ReputationRep:
    I really hate the fact you lot sound so confident!

I felt really uncertain afterwards, but so did everyone else in the year so I felt dead comforted. Now you lot are saying it went great and making me feel worried again :eek3:

I missed out the last word. I wanted to write "cumulated in tragedy" but I didn't get the chance to say tragedy because I had to stop writing. So it basically ends "this cumulated in"

Do you think this will make much difference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blu3j4yw4y)

I felt really uncertain afterwards, but so did everyone else in the year so I felt dead comforted. Now you lot are saying it went great and making me feel worried again :eek3:

I missed out the last word. I wanted to write "cumulated in tragedy" but I didn't get the chance to say tragedy because I had to stop writing. So it basically ends "this cumulated in"

Essays or close reading?

In my close reading, I was just about to make a point then shaboom "Time up" so the poor marker will be like "now I'll never know if LuhLah truly prefered passage one over two." :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blu3j4yw4y)

If it's an essay and it wasn't the conclusion then you may be in trouble. Apparently if you don't write down a conclusion then the maximum you can get is 11.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.