Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Official Higher English Thread: Help and Discussion :: Pre-Exam Discussion watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Poor peeps who are sitting higher english next year have to do a folio on top of all the NABs/exams...bless.
    Ooohh, I hope I don't fail this year then. Just sat my prelim today, Close Reading was ok, and this counted as our close reading NAB she said, the first set of questions anyway (worth 30 marks).

One question was perfect, symbolism for The Great Gatsby. The other question was ok I guess, I went into it only really knowing two texts. Got a 17 and a 15 in a December mini-prelim so I am pretty optimistic for this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackwka)
    Hasn't been above 70 for a LONG time. The past three years it has been 65%, and was even lower 4 years ago, so will likely stay to form this year at 65% for an A.
    yeah that's what my school has lucky I got 66% but I'm still really nervous about English

ReputationRep:
    Poor peeps who are sitting higher english next year have to do a folio on top of all the NABs/exams...bless.
    I didn't know this is happening next year:eek:
    Now i really don't want to resit!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone really wants to resit :p:

ReputationRep:
    I've been sitting here since 8am trying to start this essay - crash and burn. I've got a maths NAB and english prelim revision to do...I hate Jekyll and Hyde D:

ReputationRep:
    My prelims start tomorrow and English is my first exam. Not looking forward to it as its my weakest subject but then again, I'm glad I can get it out the way first without having to stress about it!

ReputationRep:
    ******* essay Total mental block...argh

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I've finally got some time soooo, I'll type out a few example answers for those of you who are stuck etc.

EDIT: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...89&postcount=3 half done, will finish off u/a/e later and then do tips and timing tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else doing visiting hour? It is so CRAP

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else doing visiting hour? It is so CRAP
    ME!!!!!!
    :mad: :mad: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, got my prelim mark back. 57% total. It's closreading which got me down but my essays were good. So can this be raised to atleast 65% in the final exam, if i keep up the work?

ReputationRep:
    Top of the year in English prelim (: So pleased

ReputationRep:
    There, I finished the close reading guide.

See the second post in the thread (:hmmm: Lulope)

ReputationRep:
    yay sticky

I did my prelim today. Close reading was a toughie, although I found the subject really interesting which did help. Was a heck of a lot of analysis and not much understanding : / Overall, think I did ok. Essays were great, had a perfect question for my film and a great question for visiting hour :P

Hoping for a B maybe, just maybe can get an A in the final exam lol. Was a P&N paper if anybody was wondering :P

ReputationRep:
    yay sticky

I did my prelim today. Close reading was a toughie, although I found the subject really interesting which did help. Was a heck of a lot of analysis and not much understanding : / Overall, think I did ok. Essays were great, had a perfect question for my film and a great question for visiting hour :P

Hoping for a B maybe, just maybe can get an A in the final exam lol. Was a P&N paper if anybody was wondering :P
    Ohhh well done What were the passages on/questions on? I'm doing Visiting Hour too

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh well done What were the passages on/questions on? I'm doing Visiting Hour too
    Racism. Interesting in my opinion. I hate visiting hour but the question I did just seemed to fit so well I had to do it. And I didn't have to write about all my sons YAY

ReputationRep:
    You are all amazing saviours!!!

Prelim in 2 days!

ReputationRep:
    Racism. Interesting in my opinion. I hate visiting hour but the question I did just seemed to fit so well I had to do it. And I didn't have to write about all my sons YAY
    Can you remember the question you did? I need more practice with VH

ReputationRep:
    Can you remember the question you did? I need more practice with VH
    I do, but I don't think it's fair to tell you Never know who's watching :P

Beside imo, there was a few questions that could have worked well, not just the one I did.

ReputationRep:
    I do, but I don't think it's fair to tell you Never know who's watching :P

Beside imo, there was a few questions that could have worked well, not just the one I did.
    Ah, don't worry, the college makes up our prelims for english, but I do see where you're coming from.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.