Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Official Higher English Thread: Help and Discussion :: Pre-Exam Discussion watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitamin D)
    Close Reading is giving me so much grief at the moment. I'm so confused. There's nothing that sticks out and makes me go, "That's what I'm doing wrong!", I really have no idea how to improve. I've glossed over the guide on the first page, I'll have a proper read of it tomorrow.
    Same, I answer each question like 3 times, usually just writing a load of rubbish in the hope of scraping up a couple of marks. My NAB is on Friday and I seriously think I have no chance. I don't think it's fair that we are doing it in 4th year though.. I suppose it clears up next years schedule a bit.

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends put "he uses a dot dot dot" in answer to a question. It got a mark. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enzo-259)
    One of my friends put "he uses a dot dot dot" in answer to a question. It got a mark. :lolwut:
    :rofl: Classic. Was that the prelim on racism? We were supposed to do one that the college made up but they gave in and went for P&N :huff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    :rofl: Classic. Was that the prelim on racism? We were supposed to do one that the college made up but they gave in and went for P&N :huff:
    That's the one we did :mad:. Apparently the marking scheme was really tight and loads of people did badly in it , I only managed 17.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitamin D)
    That's the one we did :mad:. Apparently the marking scheme was really tight and loads of people did badly in it , I only managed 17.
    Ah, I'm screwed I found it annoying how it was like 'how does the writer's language...', yeah, so helpful :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Nah, this was just a close reading we were doing in class. It was on stress and technology.

We did the racism one for our prelim though. Some of the answers were ridiculous. You got a mark for saying: "they were discriminated because of their race". Everybody just assumed that was a given. :rolleyes:

Ah, I'm screwed I found it annoying how it was like 'how does the writer's language...', yeah, so helpful :rolleyes:

Don't worry. That was actually one of my better close readings. It was the essays I ****** up on. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Everybody just assumed that was a given. :rolleyes:
    This is the biggest mistake you can make with English.

ReputationRep:
    Got 18/30 for my TA nab hahahahahahahahaha i don't care anymore lol

ReputationRep:
    We did ours today. I'll be bloody lucky to pass that thing! Was yours on 'the steamie'?

ReputationRep:
    We did ours today. I'll be bloody lucky to pass that thing! Was yours on 'the steamie'?
    We had it! You'll have done much better than you think. I managed to get 30 in that one And no one in my class failed.

ReputationRep:
    16 over here :[ And I'm the one that wants to do English! Pff, pff and pff.

ReputationRep:
    My TA was on the glass menagerie...anyone else do this? I thought it was a stinker, but hey, at least I passed with 21/30

ReputationRep:
    My TA was on Great Expectations...yawn. Nobody failed though, I'm just glad I never have to do TA again :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    35/50 ! Ah, progress.

ReputationRep:

Luhlah - that's the one I warned you about back in January!! Crazy MIs too.

ReputationRep:
    have anyone done and passed the writing NAB yet ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nonie No)
    Luhlah - that's the one I warned you about back in January!! Crazy MIs too.
    Did you have to go searching for all the answers or are they strict? I remember, for the last question, I said I liked passage 1 better as it's style was very emotive and evoking, and the ideas raised engaged me whilst passage two's style was very blunt and not evoking, and how the ideas raised were cliche and monotonous or something like that, (4 paragraphs), do you think I'd get over 3 marks for it?

ReputationRep:
    Did you have to go searching for all the answers or are they strict? I remember, for the last question, I said I liked passage 1 better as it's style was very emotive and evoking, and the ideas raised engaged me whilst passage two's style was very blunt and not evoking, and how the ideas raised were cliche and monotonous or something like that, (4 paragraphs), do you think I'd get over 3 marks for it?
    As long as you have evidence from the passages that was the case. I honestly can't remember! What I do remember though, is that both passages were very similar. Just the second's arguments were more straightforward... and it was written by someone who had perhaps first hand experience of racism...

Have marked a couple of others since then! They are all mixed up in my head:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Hello Higher English thread I have a question:
    I know someone who did Higher English last year and they made up a single essay for each text that could be changed to fit most questions... Is this a good idea? (She got an A in her prelim and exam - was this luck?) I'm really tempted to do this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chris-carnage)
    Hello Higher English thread I have a question:
    I know someone who did Higher English last year and they made up a single essay for each text that could be changed to fit most questions... Is this a good idea? (She got an A in her prelim and exam - was this luck?) I'm really tempted to do this!
    Not advisable as the SQA marker might interpret it differently as they may know the text well... At least it never worked for me :rolleyes:

Also, the racism prelim, how many bloody language questions was that?! I can't see me even passing at a C! It was a total nightmare. I got a C in the final last year, last thing I want is a D in this years prelim! ARGH :eek3:

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.