Turn on thread page Beta

The Official Higher English Thread: Help and Discussion :: Pre-Exam Discussion watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarurrr)
    Not advisable as the SQA marker might interpret it differently as they may know the text well... At least it never worked for me :rolleyes:

Also, the racism prelim, how many bloody language questions was that?! I can't see me even passing at a C! It was a total nightmare. I got a C in the final last year, last thing I want is a D in this years prelim! ARGH :eek3:
    I did that prelim lol, only got 23 :rolleyes: (45 overall, damn.) So glad I self-studied a higher last year instead of English, no-way would I have gotten the grades I needed if I had done English!

ReputationRep:
    I actually quite liked the close reading

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    I actually quite liked the close reading
    I liked it while I was doing it... Different story after I got my marks back :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Everyone liked that prelim in school...big difference when people got the marks back.

God the amount of times I commented on parenthesis....jessssssssh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackwka)
    God the amount of times I commented on parenthesis....jessssssssh
    Hahahaa, me toooooo! Should get the results back either on Monday or sooner... Hate waiting for them.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto:

I hate waiting for the results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chris-carnage)
    Hello Higher English thread I have a question:
    I know someone who did Higher English last year and they made up a single essay for each text that could be changed to fit most questions... Is this a good idea? (She got an A in her prelim and exam - was this luck?) I'm really tempted to do this!
    That's what I did too, worked rather well!

It really depends on how strict you class a "single essay" You can't memorise it line-for-line and change a couple of words - that's very risky - but memorising a good and flexible introduction and conclusion has always worked for me. I also like to memorise a key set of quotes and analysis that would work for many different questions. One of the best things I think you can do is come up with a lot of preprepared phrases about the quotes that sound really good, learn them, and it takes some pressure out of trying construct smart-sounding sentences really quickly under exam conditions.

I wouldn't recommend memorising an essay, but instead learning a detailed essay plan and having a good idea of how you can adapt it.

That's what I did with my Great Gatsby essay, about 70-80% of what I wrote were these pre-prepared sentences, the rest stuff I made up on the spot relating it to the question (which wasn't even a question I'd been expecting). Scored well higher than my Othello essay where the only thing I'd really learned was the quotes and a general understanding of the play.

Remember a lot of your essay will be spent a) explaining the quotes and b) referring to the theme. Both of these can be memorised.

Its great if you have a main character who embodies a theme and experiences a turning point, or something like that. Then you really could write an essay a couple of days before that could answer at least three questions with little to no modification.

ReputationRep:
    We did the most gayest poem today :nothing: It's actually so **** lol

ReputationRep:
    Haven't got my results for the critical essays yet, but got 23 out of 50 for the close reading which isn't too shabby considering how **** the questions were.

We did the most gayest poem today :nothing: It's actually so **** lol
    Which one? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Haven't got my results for the critical essays yet, but got 23 out of 50 for the close reading which isn't too shabby considering how **** the questions were.

Which one? :p:
    http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/the-shield-of-achilles/

:yawn: !!

ReputationRep:
    Ahahaha, glad I'm not you right now :unsure:

We get a fair share of bad texts too though, but you're doing Smeddum too this year? MEG MENZIES even though its pronounced MINGUS... Don't miss it one bit. Bad times.

ReputationRep:
    Ahahaha, glad I'm not you right now :unsure:

We get a fair share of bad texts too though, but you're doing Smeddum too this year? MEG MENZIES even though its pronounced MINGUS... Don't miss it one bit. Bad times.
    Ugh, don't remind me :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefany-a)
    have anyone done and passed the writing NAB yet ?
    Yeah I passed mine back in November. I did a personal reflective piece on my great aunt's death and funeral and how grief manifests itself in different ways. Cheery I know! Have you passed yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alasdair1993)
    Yeah I passed mine back in November. I did a personal reflective piece on my great aunt's death and funeral and how grief manifests itself in different ways. Cheery I know! Have you passed yours?
    yeah :woo: did mine on the smoking ban - now all the english NABs are out of the way :woo: :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    I did mine on the death of my gran and how I "realised you need to live your life regardless of the struggles you may face." :moon:

I'm trying to write an essay on this and it's just not happening. :nope:

ReputationRep:
    I did mine on the death of my gran and how I "realised you need to live your life regardless of the struggles you may face." :moon:

I'm trying to write an essay on this and it's just not happening. :nope:
    I can see why you're struggling! Luckily my English teacher has chosen two really interesting poems: "Daddy" and "Lady Lazarus" by Sylvia Plath. They are really deep and I find her so fascinating! As you have probaby assumed I'm a bit of a geek! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I can see why you're struggling! Luckily my English teacher has chosen two really interesting poems: "Daddy" and "Lady Lazarus" by Sylvia Plath. They are really deep and I find her so fascinating! As you have probaby assumed I'm a bit of a geek! :p:
    Those poems are good! I wish I went to queeny haha.

I'm currently on how evoking the totalitarian, new world's sinister qualities doesn't adds to my appreciation of the text. I'm writing a load of pish about how it depicts parallels into our own history, i.e. Nazis :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Those poems are good! I wish I went to queeny haha.

I'm currently on how evoking the totalitarian, new world's sinister qualities doesn't adds to my appreciation of the text. I'm writing a load of pish about how it depicts parallels into our own history, i.e. Nazis :rolleyes:
    No you seriously don't want to go to queeny! :p:
    Aw well that's my motto with essays: If you're struggling, bull****!

ReputationRep:
    Here's a little exercise for you all:

http://www.understandingstandards.or...=Content.show&

You can mark some essays there. I think it's quite good for improving on your own technique...I sure did, anyway

ReputationRep:
    Lol, after that exercise I have came to the conclusion that I am a lenient marker

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.