The Student Room Group

The Official Higher English Thread: Help and Discussion :: Pre-Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Do you mean when it doesn't have relevance to the question, becuase surely it is worth analysing if it is very relevant to the questions:

e.g. the words "........." and ".........." have very harsh and evil connotations helping to emphasise the malicious nature of ..........
At least we 'only' need 65% for an A
Just want to say a huge thanks for all the guides included. Will be a huge help for the next few weeks.

I was just wondering about which texts to focus on, my teacher says that we only really need to prepare three and I've definitely decided on both Macbeth and two poems for comparison but I'm undecided on my last one. I have A Hanging or Lord of The Flies and I was just wondering which is more likely to impress the marker and get a higher grade.

If anyone could help me out it would be much appreciated :smile:
Reply 143
Cati.LaLa
Just want to say a huge thanks for all the guides included. Will be a huge help for the next few weeks.

I was just wondering about which texts to focus on, my teacher says that we only really need to prepare three and I've definitely decided on both Macbeth and two poems for comparison but I'm undecided on my last one. I have A Hanging or Lord of The Flies and I was just wondering which is more likely to impress the marker and get a higher grade.

If anyone could help me out it would be much appreciated :smile:

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. I'm definitely doing our play 'The Crucible' and I'm doing two poems for comparison too. I then need to decide between a short story really like, The Great Gatsby and A Hanging. I'll tell you the way I'm trying to reason it out.

It's pretty much definite that you'll get a question on Macbeth so make sure you know it perfectly.

The Poem section is quite unreliable so I would definitely make sure you don't have to do it in the exam.

A Hanging's meant to be really reliable but I dunno if it is. I've found a couple of years where there isn't really a suitable question for it. But if the question matches it'll be easy to do as when they match they seem to really match.

I'm not familiar with Lord of the Flies but as it's such a common text I reckon they'll be questions on it.

What I did to help me decide was go through the past paper book and see how many questions you could do for each text each year. Then decide from that (:
Reply 144
Does anyone want me to add a poll with loads of texts in it, so we can see how many people are doing certain texts?
Reply 145
LuhLah
Does anyone want me to add a poll with loads of texts in it, so we can see how many people are doing certain texts?

:yep: And we can see who's doing the same texts as us and ask for help :frown:
Reply 146
Ok.

We have 16 choices (max). I was thinking:

Drama:
A Streetcar Named Desire
Othello
Romeo And Juliet
Hamlet
The Cubricle

Prose:
Jekyll and Hyde
The Sunset Song
Catcher in the Rye
Lord of the Flies
Any other suggestions for prose?

Poetry:
Heaney
Plath (Daddy, Lady Lazarus
Browning (MLD etc...)
McCaig (Visiting Hour, Hotel etc...)
Other

These are really biased so any suggestions would be great. :smile:
where is Macbeth, and include death of a naturalist for heaney!

does anyone have a good mark higher essay for "Death of a naturalist" as it is hard to analyse it in depht because of the type of poem it is
Reply 148
garlicbreadman
where is Macbeth, and include death of a naturalist for heaney!

does anyone have a good mark higher essay for "Death of a naturalist" as it is hard to analyse it in depht because of the type of poem it is

Hmm, maybe it'd be a good idea just to include dramatists, authors and poets!
Reply 149
LuhLah
Ok.

We have 16 choices (max). I was thinking:

Drama:
A Streetcar Named Desire
Othello
Romeo And Juliet
Hamlet
The Cubricle

Prose:
Jekyll and Hyde
The Sunset Song
Catcher in the Rye
Lord of the Flies
Any other suggestions for prose?

Poetry:
Heaney
Plath (Daddy, Lady Lazarus
Browning (MLD etc...)
McCaig (Visiting Hour, Hotel etc...)
Other

These are really biased so any suggestions would be great. :smile:

The Great Gatsby? It's really common. Duffy? We're doing her's.
Reply 150
Lulope
The Great Gatsby? It's really common. Duffy? We're doing her's.

Argh!! lol.

Acalia
x

Is there anyway you could increase the amount of poll options we can have? :frown:
See when quoting shakespeare and poetry, will we get marked down if we don't put a / or take a new line when quoting?

Because it is hard enough learning quotes, but learning the exact line strucure is murder.
Reply 152
garlicbreadman
See when quoting shakespeare and poetry, will we get marked down if we don't put a / or take a new line when quoting?

Because it is hard enough learning quotes, but learning the exact line strucure is murder.

Not sure about that one, sorry. I'd play it safe and just try to remember the structure, but I'm sure they won't mark you down for it.
Reply 153
In a close reading what are they asking you to do if the question is "Show how any one detail from lines...." It is an understanding question and I'm just not sure what would be acceptable to write for "any one deatil"
Just backing up Gatsby :biggrin:
LuhLah
Not sure about that one, sorry. I'd play it safe and just try to remember the structure, but I'm sure they won't mark you down for it.

In this essay which got 25/25, the person doesn't take a new line or use a slash to indicate a new line.

http://www.understandingstandards.org.uk/markers_ccc/mark_exercise_multi.jsp?pContentID=8661&p_applic=CCC&p_service=Content.show&#

Will the marker get a copy of the text while they are marking it?
Reply 156
Hey guys, who has the practice papers for Higher English from Leckie and Leckie?
Reply 157
garlicbreadman
In this essay which got 25/25, the person doesn't take a new line or use a slash to indicate a new line.

http://www.understandingstandards.org.uk/markers_ccc/mark_exercise_multi.jsp?pContentID=8661&p_applic=CCC&p_service=Content.show&#

Will the marker get a copy of the text while they are marking it?

No.

And stop obsessing over it, just find a style you're comfortable with and stick to it. If there was a set/standard structure, then we would have been taught it.
Reply 158
Ok, y'all come up with a list, I've got far too much work to do. :p:
LuhLah
No.

And stop obsessing over it, just find a style you're comfortable with and stick to it. If there was a set/standard structure, then we would have been taught it.

Obsessing over what?

I am just wondering if you get marked down for not including the line strucutre. I don't know what your problem is and it is nothing to do with style, I have been told that we have supposed to put the line structure in.

I am simply trying to find out whether the SQA penalises for not including line structure.

GOD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending