Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Official Higher English Thread: Help and Discussion :: Pre-Exam Discussion Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garlicbreadman)
    Obsessing over what?

I am just wondering if you get marked down for not including the line strucutre. I don't know what your problem is and it is nothing to do with style, I have been told that we have supposed to put the line structure in.

I am simply trying to find out whether the SQA penalises for not including line structure.

GOD
    I don't have a problem and you're worrying way too much about it, just find a method that you feel comfortable with and stick to it!!!!! :p: The more you nit-pick the vague and unhelpful marking scheme, the more you're gunna worry about it. I'm not trying to be rude: I'm just trying to help, m'kay?

ReputationRep:
    I know.....I am just stressed like everyone.

I was hoping for a definitive answer regarding this.

It doesn't say anything in the marking scheme anywhere about indicating the new lines so I am not sure. I have a method that I use which is to learn the line structure, but I would rather not, I would only feel comfortable not learning line structure if I knew I wouldn't be penalised for it. Therefore, I have no method I feel comfortable with.

I am fine in terms of writing essays, I am just asking about learning quotes: wherther we should learn the line structure or not?

ReputationRep:

I am fine in terms of writing essays, I am just asking about learning quotes: wherther we should learn the line structure or not?

Well we have never been told we have to do that, so I would assume you will not get penalized. I am not 100% sure on this though so cannot give you the definitive answer you are looking for.

ReputationRep:
    They are probably easy on ya for stuff like this with exam pressure and all.

ReputationRep:
    In a close reading, if you are asked to show how a certain tone is created what would you comment on. It is an analysis question does that mean I could comment on Word choice, sentence struture etc...???

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any essays or notes on Norman MacCaigs's Assisi or Visiting Hour?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CT_Scan)
    In a close reading, if you are asked to show how a certain tone is created what would you comment on. It is an analysis question does that mean I could comment on Word choice, sentence struture etc...???
    It can really range from any aspect of language e.g. they are bound to use emotive words to give off a particular tone, but they might use repetition of a phrase like '"We will do.." repeated depicts a serious tone...'.

(Original post by DannyMurray1)
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any essays or notes on Norman MacCaigs's Assisi or Visiting Hour?
    There's notes on both on the HSN site (google higher english visiting hour and assisi) and I'm about to post up my visiting hour essay when it's finished.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    It can really range from any aspect of language e.g. they are bound to use emotive words to give off a particular tone, but they might use repetition of a phrase like '"We will do.." repeated depicts a serious tone...'.

There's notes on both on the HSN site (google higher english visiting hour and assisi) and I'm about to post up my visiting hour essay when it's finished.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lulope)
    I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. I'm definitely doing our play 'The Crucible' and I'm doing two poems for comparison too. I then need to decide between a short story really like, The Great Gatsby and A Hanging. I'll tell you the way I'm trying to reason it out.

It's pretty much definite that you'll get a question on Macbeth so make sure you know it perfectly.

The Poem section is quite unreliable so I would definitely make sure you don't have to do it in the exam.

A Hanging's meant to be really reliable but I dunno if it is. I've found a couple of years where there isn't really a suitable question for it. But if the question matches it'll be easy to do as when they match they seem to really match.

I'm not familiar with Lord of the Flies but as it's such a common text I reckon they'll be questions on it.

What I did to help me decide was go through the past paper book and see how many questions you could do for each text each year. Then decide from that (:

Looking back it seems that essay topics seem to be slightly more favourable towards Lord of The Flies than A Hanging so I think I'll focus on LOTF, Macbeth and my two poems.
    Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    The english exam is so close! Scared! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bescientific69)
    The english exam is so close! Scared! :P
    LOL same! Got your texts sorted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haffie)
    LOL same! Got your texts sorted?
    Nope! :eek3: i've just got started on them this week! i've been so focused on getting close reading nailed that i've forgotten how to do an essay :rofl: I don't know if i should prepare my prose or not, because i reeeally don't like it (Empire of the Sun) but I'm thinking i'm probably going to have to! What about you?

ReputationRep:
    I'm having difficulty deciding on the "main ideas" of my essays. Like - what to write each paragraph or section on. How do you decide what each section will focus on?

(eg I have no idea where to start with the question "Choose a novel or short story with a central character you consider to be heroic. Show how the heroic qualities are revealed and discuss how this portrayal of the character enhances your understanding of the text as a whole." - I have to do this on "The Pedestrian" by Ray Bradbury.)

Can anyone help with how to decide what each section of this essay should focus on? Or just a general idea of how to do it? I'm really stuck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chris-carnage)
    I'm having difficulty deciding on the "main ideas" of my essays. Like - what to write each paragraph or section on. How do you decide what each section will focus on?

(eg I have no idea where to start with the question "Choose a novel or short story with a central character you consider to be heroic. Show how the heroic qualities are revealed and discuss how this portrayal of the character enhances your understanding of the text as a whole." - I have to do this on "The Pedestrian" by Ray Bradbury.)

Can anyone help with how to decide what each section of this essay should focus on? Or just a general idea of how to do it? I'm really stuck
    Remember that the first part of the question is only to limit your choice of text. Make sure you address the first part of the quesiton in the introduction. i.e. "A play in which a character acts in an obsessibe manner is" ........"by..........."

It is the second part you need to focus on for the remainder of the essay.

It obviously depends on the text you are going to write about for this question.

This is a general guide;

Write introduction

Write very brief summary just so the examiner knows the idea behing the text.

Explain the first impressions of the heroic charatcer perhaps?

Try and intergrate the literary devices into your paragraphs throughout the essay. DO NOT put a paragrph at the end specifically to deal with symbolism, imagery or whatever. Mention how smbolism or simile, metaphors help to emphasise the heroic qualities.

Make a paragraph or two on key scene(s)/event(s), as this usually gives an insight into the qualities of the main character(s).

It really depends on the text, but above are mentioned some general things that should apply to most texts.

How come you are reallpying to medicine for 2011? Well apart from the obvious.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone see my essay?

I think I might finish off a close reading today. Hmm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Anyone see my essay?

I think I might finish off a close reading today. Hmm.
    Do you want someone to kind of critique it? If so I might have time tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lulope)
    Do you want someone to kind of critique it? If so I might have time tomorrow?
    Nah, you're fine lol. I was just wondering if any of ya found it helpful :p:

ReputationRep:
    Remember that the first part of the question is only to limit your choice of text. Make sure you address the first part of the quesiton in the introduction. i.e. "A play in which a character acts in an obsessibe manner is" ........"by..........."

It is the second part you need to focus on for the remainder of the essay.

It obviously depends on the text you are going to write about for this question.

This is a general guide;

Write introduction

Write very brief summary just so the examiner knows the idea behing the text.

Explain the first impressions of the heroic charatcer perhaps?

Try and intergrate the literary devices into your paragraphs throughout the essay. DO NOT put a paragrph at the end specifically to deal with symbolism, imagery or whatever. Mention how smbolism or simile, metaphors help to emphasise the heroic qualities.

Make a paragraph or two on key scene(s)/event(s), as this usually gives an insight into the qualities of the main character(s).

It really depends on the text, but above are mentioned some general things that should apply to most texts.

How come you are reallpying to medicine for 2011? Well apart from the obvious.
    Thanks Still struggling a bit since this text doesn't really fit the question :rolleyes: I'm reapplying for medicine because I got 4 rejections :o: and I can't afford to do it as a postgraduate so reapplying is my best bet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chris-carnage)
    Thanks Still struggling a bit since this text doesn't really fit the question :rolleyes: I'm reapplying for medicine because I got 4 rejections :o: and I can't afford to do it as a postgraduate so reapplying is my best bet.
    Well, your "hero" is just someone you admire for their qualities- usually good qualities. Write about the main 'good' character.

Is there any reason why you got 4 rejections? I am applying 2011 as well, sorry if I seem nosy.

ReputationRep:
    Well, your "hero" is just someone you admire for their qualities- usually good qualities. Write about the main 'good' character.

Is there any reason why you got 4 rejections? I am applying 2011 as well, sorry if I seem nosy.
    There's a lot of competition for uni places now so loads of people are getting rejected, and medicine is very hard to get into, (my friend received four rejections for med too ). I applied for chemistry this year and luckily got all 5 offers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.