Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What's going on?! Advice needed watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've worked in one of the local bars since September. About two weeks after christmas we were called into a staff meeting and told that we would be changing hands - our site had been sold to a leading night club chain and that after 6 weeks of refurbishment we'd be opening up again, with the same staff.

We were all given a letter from the new company, and had interviews with HR from the new company, to talk about the changes etc. Was essentially an interview but we were told we could all keep our jobs so no pressure! We were meant to be closing for the refurb to start last Tuesday, we shut our doors that Monday and said ok, bye etc. However, wethen heard that the company was umming and ahhing about whether they wanted to buy us, and the sale hadn't completed, so we were still opening that weekend, forcing a lot of us to have to change our plans (in the end, only a few people worked because nobody knew we were open!).

We were meant to have a meeting this Tuesday to start the refurb off but it was cancelled. I haven't heard anything from my employer/manager about whether we're open, whether we're closed, whether I still have a job?! No-one seems to know anything, when I phoned up to make sure the meeting was going ahead the night before (!) I was met with a 'I don't know, head office haven't told me *anything*" from my boss. Obviously, they're being messed around as well...

Anyone been in this situation before? I need the money from this job, I get paid weekly and I need the money to afford to go to college (not joking - if I don't earn anything, I will be £4.50 down each month if all I do is pay train fare, more if I buy food, even more if I go out!) so I need to know what's happening. I don't know whether to look for a new job, because if I do, then yes I'll be earning, but equally if the bar does get sold to this chain, it'd be a far more astute career move for me to stay with them as I can transfer with uni and go through management etc. Also, trying to find jobs atm is so hard and at least three shops have just closed in town so there's more people looking...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.