Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I would like to understand what the UK's pre-higher education system is all about. Firstly, sixth form schools/colleges are a 2-year institutions where students choose, study and pass their A-levels for higher education, aren't they?
    And are there any free of charge sixth form colleges/schools in the UK ( around Manchester specifically)?

I'd really appreciate some help
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oZu)
    Hi there,

I would like to understand what the UK's pre-higher education system is all about. Firstly, sixth form schools/colleges are a 2-year institutions where students choose, study and pass their A-levels for higher education, aren't they?
    And are there any free of charge sixth form colleges/schools in the UK ( around Manchester specifically)?

Cheers
    technically they are free although all if not majority of sixth forms/colleges ask for an enrollment fee which will cover the cost of textbooks etc and that's it

ReputationRep:
    You're correct in everything there, but I don't know about the costs. I know in the Isle of Man it's completely free, at least for Manx residents

ReputationRep:
    In a school with a sixth form, students may choose to stay on at school until the age of 18 to complete their A-levels. Some sixth forms in schools do take on new external students for years 12 and 13.

Sixth form colleges are a seperate entity to schools and just provide further/non-compulsory education.
    Any students can join a sixth form college.

Sixth form schools and colleges are free if you are 16-19 and if you are not you can get some support from the government to cover the cost of qualifications. Also grants such as EMA (Education Maintenance Allowance) and the Adult Learning Grant are available to those from lower income families.

[Corrected statement on sixth form schools, thanks for the heads-up]

ReputationRep:
    So basically the sixth form covers the 12th and 13th years of study in the UK, right ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oZu)
    So basically the sixth form covers the 12th and 13th years of study in the UK, right ?
    yh

ReputationRep:
    I would like to point out that they are free for UK residents.... im guessing that OP is not from the UK otherwise they would know more about it?? Could be wrong though... but they are free if you are in the UK cos they are paid for by taxes... so im guessing you may have to pay if you are an international student?? not too sure about that though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElfManiac)
    In a school with a sixth form, students may choose to stay on at school until the age of 18 to complete their A-levels. School-based sixth forms do not usually take on new external students for years 12 and 13.

Sixth form colleges are a seperate entity to schools and just provide further/non-compulsory education.
    Any students can join a sixth form college.

Sixth form schools and colleges are free if you are 16-19 and if you are not you can get some support from the government to cover the cost of qualifications. Also grants such as EMA (Education Maintenance Allowance) and the Adult Learning Grant are available to those from lower income families.
    Seriously? Wow... Over here everyone changes sixth forms (however there is only one college) and there's are only very lenient restrictions. Sorry, thought I'd say :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElfManiac)
    School-based sixth forms do not usually take on new external students for years 12 and 13.

I think you forgot to add the word 'some', as every school based sixth form I know do take on external students

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oZu)
    Hi there,

Cheers
    Altrincham grammar school for boys
    Sales grammar school
    Urmston grammar school
    St ambros college

manchester grammar school (fee paying) offer scholarships

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oZu)
    Hi there,

Cheers
    how old is the person you are asking for?

ReputationRep:
    He is 16.
    But I have figured out the school system, not without your help of course. Now I am trying to fill the application form for the Urmston Grammar School and I encountered the picking the AS choices. Could you please explain what do these mean? Will they become A level at the end of year 13 or what ? :o:
    And the way to choose the AS levels is by knowing what he would like to do in the future e.g. if he wants to be a dentist, he needs to pick Biology and Chemistry now right?

Help appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oZu)
    He is 16.
    But I have figured out the school system, not without your help of course. Now I am trying to fill the application form for the Urmston Grammar School and I encountered the picking the AS choices. Could you please explain what do these mean? Will they become A level at the end of year 13 or what ? :o:
    And the way to choose the AS levels is by knowing what he would like to do in the future e.g. if he wants to be a dentist, he needs to pick Biology and Chemistry now right?

Help appreciated
    The AS choices are the courses that he wants to do in yr12/13. Normally people choose 4 for yr12 (the first year of 6th form), do exams at the end of yr12 and come out with AS Levels. Then most people drop one subject, and carry on the other 3 to A2 Level, which is the full qualification and is what is required by universities. Some courses, e.g. dentistry, as you've said require specific A-Levels- usually chemistry + at least one other science (normally biology). Hope that helps.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.