Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I dont remember having this problem untill about 2 years ago, but it doesn't seem to have improved at all.

Basically my stomach is extremely noisy, its mostly at night, if i am with other people e.g. at a friends or sometimes when i am not with anyone. More than anything its really embarrasing and make m unable to sleep it will happen and everyone wil hear it. The other day it happened and a friend commented, it was embarrasing.

It also happens in lessons even only an hour after i have had breakfast. I try to eat fruit as snacks and drink water but again its embarrasing and i try and cover it up my making some noise, so i find it hard to concentrate in lessons.

It is also horrible in exams, especially as they are usually at least 1hr 30mins if not longer.

I do not know anyone with it as bad as this, and wondered if there could be something more. People have suggested IBS/Crohns disease but i dont have any other symptoms. From time to time i can get bad stomach cramps but just pass them off as random if you get me.

My diet is ok, porridge for breakfast, fruit mid morning then lunch varies soup/sandwich etc. Tea again is usually veg with meat. I tend to have chocolate most days and drink about 4 mugs of coffee a day.

Help! xxx

ReputationRep:
    4 mugs of coffee a day (and chocolate) could be your problem. Caffeine has been reported to speed up gastrointestinal transit and that could be causing the extra noise and occasional cramp. Maybe try and cut back on it and see if it helps... It doesn't sound serious but if cutting out caffeine for at least a week doesn't make a difference then maybe see a dr if you're worried.

Don't worry about Crohns, I'm sure you'd know if it was as serious as that!

ReputationRep:
    Your diet seems pretty healthy - apart from the 4 mugs of coffee! Maybe if you could cut that down to 2 you might see an improvement? Chocolate can also cause constipation, no idea if that is a problem for you but it might be contributing to the stomach cramps if it is. Might also be increased gas during digestion leading to an imbalance in gut flora. Have you tried taking probiotics?

It could be IBS, where your gut is just oversensitive. Certainly not Crohn's - I have Crohn's disease and trust me you'd really know about it. You'd have symptoms such as weight loss, diarrhoea, fever, severe abdominal pain and perhaps rectal bleeding accompanied by tears or ulcers around the anus. With my Crohn's I've also had problems with mouth ulcers, joint pains and my eyes. It's put me in hospital on a number of occasions and now I have to be very careful keeping on top of dehydration, pain control, getting all my vitamin/iron injections and my diet - if things get really bad I will resort to a liquid formula specifically for Crohn's called Elemental. Like Little_penguin says I wouldn't worry about having any severe sort of inflammatory bowel disease atleast as it doesn't match up.

ReputationRep:
    really disgruntled tapeworms.

I have the same problem!!!! sooo embarrassing, especially when sat next to a hot guy in class. I have a similar diet to you except im not a big coffee drinker. I just make a joke of it if anyone next to me hears my stomach growl. Have you tried over filling yourself with water? This sometimes works for me. I also keep snacks in my bag to nibble on if i feel a hunger pang coming on.

ReputationRep:
    I have this problem too, But mines all linked to my stomach problems.
    I understand your pain on the embarrassement though.
    Don't really know how to help though.. sorry >.<

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.