Turn on thread page Beta

If 'Anorexia' is considered to be a mental disorder... watch

ReputationRep:
    ...then why not 'Gaining' as well?

If you've got no idea what I am talking about, this might help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_fetishism

Several terms refer to the roles adopted within the culture. A feeder is an individual who feeds another person. A feedee may be characterized as an individual choosing to gain weight with the aid of a feeder. A gainer is similar to a feedee, but gainers generally seek to gain by their own hand, although they may welcome encouragement by an encourager. A maintainer is one sympathetic to the gaining community, who has intentionally or unintentionally put on weight and is happy to remain at that size, or is reluctant to gain more. An appreciator is a fat admirer in the gaining community who is not interested in either gaining or encouraging, but is content to appreciate what progress has been made by other individuals.
    So what's the deal? Technically gainers are just as self harming as anorexics, often gaining weight to the verge of extreme obesity. Then why isn't 'Gaining' considered to be some sort of mental disorder?

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused if you're talking about sexual fetish or binge eating? Anorexia is more than just becoming skinny it's about the thoughts that go along with it. Some people can gain weight just because they're greedy.

ReputationRep:
    It is, I believe. There is *so* much more to eating disorders than just Anorexia and Bulimia.

ReputationRep:
    People that eat to the point of obesity just because they want to or because they're encouraged to by other people do have a mental disorder, yes. People that physically harm themselves on purpose, either by eating too little or too much, do have a mental disorder as their self-perception is skewed.

ReputationRep:
    It is considered a disorder, but no one takes it seriously because it's widely perceived that you need to have some sort of self discipline to NOT eat, but you must lack self discipline to keep eating, so I guess they get less sympathy.

ReputationRep:
    Then why isn't officially recognized as a mental disorder? Why don't people seek treatment for it?

Am I wrong, or is it already mentioned in the DSM?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aura1947)
    Then why isn't officially recognized as a mental disorder? Why don't people seek treatment for it?
    Uh, it is. And they do...

You can have things like Compulsive Over-Eating Disorder, Binge-Eating Disorder, Body Dismorphic Disorder (where you don't see your body as the reality, but either skinnier or fatter than it really is). Don't forget that bulimia is largely binging and purging and very few bulimics lose weight (some even gain) because your body takes on calories from the mouth, not from the stomach.

ETA - Oh, hang on, Wiki tells me that it's not recognised in the DSM...

ReputationRep:
    People do seek treatment for it.

But what you've got to remember is that losing weight is mainly caused by the mental aspect alone, whereas gaining weight can be caused by the mental disorder or the "laziness"/"McDonald's" disorder. That is to say, the latter group of people gaining weight aren't necessarily food-obsessed, but they may not, for example, exercise enough to maintain a decent level of fitness. That isn't really a mental disorder, more a personal characteristic.

ReputationRep:
    When I talk about 'Gaining', I am not referring to people who gain weight simply due to being lazy or having poor eating habits (just like malnutrioned people who don't actually want to be severely underweight). I am talking about people who feel they aren't 'fat enough'. Who feel the urge to put on more and more weight and actually put effort into this practice.

ReputationRep:
    The whole concept of psychiatry is a false one anyhow.

If people want to be anorexic, let them. if people want to gain let them. Psychiatry simply is a means of social control, since normality is highly relative. I see plenty of people who aren't normal (chavs, shallow people, aggressive people) and no "psychiatrist" would say that being a chav, shallow or aggressive is being mentally ill.

The whole idea of mental disorder should be thrown out as well. Everybody knows that in life anybody can be/do anything they want. I think we as humans should come clean and simply say that schizophrenics should be allowed to harass or cause havoc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)

If people want to be anorexic, let them. if people want to gain let them. Psychiatry simply is a means of social control, since normality is highly relative. I see plenty of people who aren't normal (chavs, shallow people, aggressive people) and no "psychiatrist" would say that being a chav, shallow or aggressive is being mentally ill.

The whole idea of mental disorder should be thrown out as well. Everybody knows that in life anybody can be/do anything they want. I think we as humans should come clean and simply say that schizophrenics should be allowed to harass or cause havoc.

Ok.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Why the rolleyes? Psychiatry is a false "science".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)

No. Just no.

ReputationRep:
    bigorexia is a bodybuilding term...when people think they're still small or feel small even though they're big/massive.

ReputationRep:
    ...then why not 'Gaining' as well?

If you've got no idea what I am talking about, this might help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_fetishism

So what's the deal? Technically gainers are just as self harming as anorexics, often gaining weight to the verge of extreme obesity. Then why isn't 'Gaining' considered to be some sort of mental disorder?
    uhh, it IS considered a mental disorder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john87)
    uhh, it IS considered a mental disorder
    Where?

ReputationRep:
    No. Just no.
    Yes. Just yes.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.