Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Most effective swimming workout for weight loss...? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I normally do an hour and a half, 180 lengths, try not to pause and keep at a steady rate alternating between front crawl and breaststroke. With my current fitness i'm only managing an hour and its a real strain not to stop.

Swimming seems good for weight loss so long as you avoid the crippling hunger binge afterwards. I want to get my fitness up again so I can swim for longer.

What is the most effective swimming workout for weight loss?

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you are swimming at a high intensity.
    It's fine if you need to take a break inbetween, just keep the intensity high.

ReputationRep:
    HIIT

though its more 'fat loss' than weight loss. Weight loss is the loss of fat AND muscle. Is that what you want?..

ReputationRep:
    I read somewhere that bettering your stroke affects it , since you use your muscles more effectively. or sommat, cant remember where i saw it though

ReputationRep:
    Make sure your technique is right, like what the person above said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -MaNi-)
    HIIT

though its more 'fat loss' than weight loss. Weight loss is the loss of fat AND muscle. Is that what you want?..
    Haha of course I meant fat I wouldn't want to loose muscle. Weight loss just as a general term for becoming thinner and burning fat. Swimming wouldn't help loose muscle anyway.

Went for a swim the other day and I managed after a 20 minute warmup a solid 40 minutes of swimming fast without stopping.

As soon as I stop even for 30 seconds I feel like all my hard work has been wasted as I recover my breathe and muscles stop aching.

How would HIIT work for a swimming workout?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kash:))
    Make sure your technique is right, like what the person above said.
    Yes this is true. Its so easy not to kick your legs properly doing front crawl and to just drag myself along with my arms. I've corrected my arms for breaststroke to once i'd got used to it again.

I want to scream at some swimmers in the pool when i'm lifeguarding, they might as well be going for a slow walk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ijustlovetolearn)
    How would HIIT work for a swimming workout?
    Just off the top of my head:

1-2 lengths at a high intensity (>80%), 3-4 lengths of low intensity (<40%)

Repeat 10-20 times.

ReputationRep:
    you should eat slow burning carbs and protein after cardio, e.g chicken breast and brown rice. In reference to your crippling hunger comment

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 8, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.