Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've applied for Social Policy at the following:
    Birmingham- Rejected
    Sheffield- Rejected
    Kent- Conditional
    Lincoln- Conditional
    Brighton- Still waiting.

So, Birmingham was initially going to be my first choice until I got my rejection. Sheffield I wasn't too bothered about, as I used it to make up a 5th choice. I was really happy when I got my offer from Kent, as it ironically has a better Social Policy department than Birmingham.
    In order to get into Kent I need BBC, Which shouldn't be a problem. However, I now want to go for ABB in my A-Levels.
    This is where my dilemma is. If I get ABB, surely I should go for a better university? (no disrespect to Kent, which is a well respected university for my course, and in general undergraduate study)

So I'm not sure what to do or think. If I gain my desired ABB grades..should I scour through the clearing boards on results day and hope for the best? Or do I go on a gap year and re-apply? Or just take up my offer with Kent? Its left me scratching my head.

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There is Adjustment as well as Clearing, but it's up to you whether you'd be happy at Kent. The entry requirements don't always reflect how good or well-respected a university is (as you know), so it'd be silly to not go to Kent just because the entry requirements are lower and then end up at another university just as respected as Kent but with higher entry requirements.

So, if you're not keen on going to Kent and achieve grades higher than expected, try Adjustment and Clearing, and if that doesn't work out and you'd rather go to a 'better' university, take a year out and re-apply. When you re-apply you'll obviously be getting unconditionals, which is quite a nice position to be in. But ultimately it's up to you.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    You've got to consider what you would do if you were to take a gap year. Do you have the option to go travelling and do something worthwhile? If not, then I'd advise you to just go to Kent, as being a year behind is rather infuriating.
    If I were you, I'd just wait for the results and decide then.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks people! I'm more than happy going to Kent, as I have a group of friends also going so it would be awesome. I'm just thinking about the future, as employers begin to put more emphasis on academic background whether or not I'd be at a disadvantage.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Damz91)
    Thanks people! I'm more than happy going to Kent, as I have a group of friends also going so it would be awesome. I'm just thinking about the future, as employers begin to put more emphasis on academic background whether or not I'd be at a disadvantage.
    Kent is a very good university and I can't see why you'd be at a disadvantage- at least, in comparison to the majority of other universities in this country. Unless you're competing against Oxford and Cambridge applicants for a job, no-one will say, 'oh, you've ONLY got a degree from Kent', especially if you get a 1st or 2:1. Go where you'll be happiest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damz91)
    Hey, I've applied for Social Policy at the following:
    Birmingham- Rejected
    Sheffield- Rejected
    Kent- Conditional
    Lincoln- Conditional
    Brighton- Still waiting.

So, Birmingham was initially going to be my first choice until I got my rejection. Sheffield I wasn't too bothered about, as I used it to make up a 5th choice. I was really happy when I got my offer from Kent, as it ironically has a better Social Policy department than Birmingham.
    In order to get into Kent I need BBC, Which shouldn't be a problem. However, I now want to go for ABB in my A-Levels.
    This is where my dilemma is. If I get ABB, surely I should go for a better university? (no disrespect to Kent, which is a well respected university for my course, and in general undergraduate study)

So I'm not sure what to do or think. If I gain my desired ABB grades..should I scour through the clearing boards on results day and hope for the best? Or do I go on a gap year and re-apply? Or just take up my offer with Kent? Its left me scratching my head.

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance
    You don't actually need to make any decision on this now. It seems that of those you have selected Kent is by far your preferred choice, so put that down as your firm with an insurance if you wish. No further action is required until the summer, when results come out and you can see how you did. Saying this, if clearing last year is anything to go by then the number of places, especially for competitive ABB courses will be limited and will go extremely quickly. I would therefore not depend too much on that route, but either way you always have the option to pull out of your offers this year and reapply.

I'd suggest having a cursory look at the Extra listings when they come out at the end of February to see if anything catches your eye. Hold off on firming your uni til then (you have until May) and if something crops up and you want to go for it then you could in theory reject Kents offer and go into Extra, although you would have no guarantee of getting a place.

At the end of the day, think about where you will be happy and as said, a 1st from somewhere like Kent (or anywhere) would be well looked upon.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with what everybody else has said - no need to decide now, just have a think about how you would spend a gap year if you need to, and keep checking to see what other courses were available in clearing last year / are available in extra this year. Go where you will be happy. Of course, this is the situation for which UCAS Adjustment was made, and therefore I'd say that should be something you look into.

ReputationRep:
    The offer isn't always a direct reflection on the university's reputation - I got a BBB offer from a top 5 university. If you think you'd be happiest at Kent, then go to Kent!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.