Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you had a summer internship offer for the rates desk at JP and the rotational s&t program at GS - which would you pick and why?

Toughest decision of my life...

ReputationRep:
    it's not a tough decision at all. either are fine.

ReputationRep:
    GS is GS. Plus a rotation internship will give you the opportunity of more people to impress.

ReputationRep:
    rotation will be harder. internship at gs is quite cruel. but even if you dont get gs, you ll get interviews at other places easily because of the name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anon65)
    If you had a summer internship offer for the rates desk at JP and the rotational s&t program at GS - which would you pick and why?

Toughest decision of my life...
    GS has the reputation and it will do you good in the long run. As someone already mentioned, if you get converted, the name will let you find a v nice position at other places.

How long did JMP give you to decide? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewwy)
    it's not a tough decision at all. either are fine.
    Both are excellent - that's why it's a tough decision!

(Original post by wazzup)
    rotation will be harder. internship at gs is quite cruel. but even if you dont get gs, you ll get interviews at other places easily because of the name.
    I've heard the rotation is harder - do you think the GS name is significantly > JPM?

(Original post by ArtOfWar)
    GS has the reputation and it will do you good in the long run. As someone already mentioned, if you get converted, the name will let you find a v nice position at other places.

How long did JMP give you to decide? thanks
    Again - is the name significantly > JPM

JPM gave me 10 working days

ReputationRep:
    Name wise I don't see much difference between GS and JPM personally. But that is personal opinion and I would say go for the one that provides you with better insight/training to secure area where you are most interested in.

If you are 100% sure you want to go to trading rates then sure go for JPM, otherwise rotation in GS is better to find out roles you may be better suited or find more interesting. Personally I had go for GS for the challenge and rotation opportunity but it depends on your personal preference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anon65)
    Both are excellent - that's why it's a tough decision!

I've heard the rotation is harder - do you think the GS name is significantly > JPM?

Again - is the name significantly > JPM

JPM gave me 10 working days
    Both are good. I just think pp in GS must be good looking at their post credit crunch performance. I think they are truely elite and will always be up there. as for JPM, they are good but another crisis might criple them more than GS. So even in long term GS is a sure and safe bet. But congratulations to you. Either one is good.

ReputationRep:
    Both are good. I just think pp in GS must be good looking at their post credit crunch performance. I think they are truely elite and will always be up there. as for JPM, they are good but another crisis might criple them more than GS. So even in long term GS is a sure and safe bet. But congratulations to you. Either one is good.
    Thanks for your help - appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wazzup)
    Not necessarily true.

As for the OP: unless you desperately want to do rates GS is the better choice, rotational aspect is better for most people and while they do work you to the bone, you can come out with significantly more experience than many other internships (cant speak for JPM in this case).

Furthermore conversion ratio's are probably wieghted towards GS (albeit not necessarily for trading roles).

GS is worth the name - not a huge gap granted, but you can spend more time finding the right desk/people/product/culture.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone do yourselves a favour and completely ignore the above post, the person has had a heavy night on the sauce.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.