The Student Room Group

Resitting GCSE Maths and need serious help.

I'm 19 and preparing to resit my GCSE in maths as an external student. I basically have no confidence when it comes to maths and I really struggle. My partner has been helping me and tutoring me but on occasions we do clash when there is something I don't understand.

I think what I'm asking is for someone to help me over msn or PM. I cannot give specifics on the various sections on maths because it is virtually everything I need help with.

For example yesterday I was attempting to work on upper and lower bounds and I just cannot get my head around it.

Feel free to reply to me on here or via PM.

Reply 1
Go through work, and anytime you have a problem, post it in this maths forum.
People are really quick in replying and happy to help :smile:
Reply 2
maths watch
Reply 3
Just keep on doing a lot of questions. That is the only way to understand maths.
http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/course/category.php?id=8&perpage=15&page=0
alot of the introductory ones will be gcse level.
Reply 5
Hi, I can't help you at all but I am in the exact same position and also taking GCSE Maths privately, I'm 21 :smile:

I'm absolutely terrified. I sat the first exam in November as I was doing it alongside my other course at college but the teacher wouldn't let me continue last month because I failed the first module and was getting left behind so much ( unfair considering I wasn't able to attend school in year 10/11 after being really ill) and as a result lost all faith in myself until I found out I could arrange my own exams without his input at college so now I've my resit and next module in March and then the last one in June. I hope you manage to get some help!
Reply 6
how do you resit gcse maths as an external candidate? i'd like to get an a*
Jordan1990
I'm 19 and preparing to resit my GCSE in maths as an external student. I basically have no confidence when it comes to maths and I really struggle. My partner has been helping me and tutoring me but on occasions we do clash when there is something I don't understand.

I think what I'm asking is for someone to help me over msn or PM. I cannot give specifics on the various sections on maths because it is virtually everything I need help with.

For example yesterday I was attempting to work on upper and lower bounds and I just cannot get my head around it.

Have you got this

It's very useful and explains everything clearly :smile:
Feel free to post any problems you're having in the Maths forum :smile:
There are plenty of us knocking around who are quite handy at it.
Reply 9
Jfranny
how do you resit gcse maths as an external candidate? i'd like to get an a*

I got in touch with AQA to find out places I could sit it who accept external candidates.

See this for list of centres

http://store.aqa.org.uk/admin/library/AQA-PRIVCAND-CENTRES.PDF

I got in touch with my chosen centre and it's being taken from there.
Reply 10
Jordan1990
I got in touch with AQA to find out places I could sit it who accept external candidates.

Reply 11
Jordan1990

i wouldn't have to sit the exam with a class of year 11 students from a school i don't know would i? that would be quite embarrasing.. :eek:
Reply 12
Jfranny
i wouldn't have to sit the exam with a class of year 11 students from a school i don't know would i? that would be quite embarrasing.. :eek:

I have no idea but by the time I sit the exam ill be 20...imagine how I feel lol
Jordan1990

http://www.mymaths.co.uk/

I have a login but it's my school's so I'm not sure about giving it to you.

They have some free stuff, they're quite good
Reply 14
Cannonball
http://www.mymaths.co.uk/

I have a login but it's my school's so I'm not sure about giving it to you.

They have some free stuff, they're quite good

I know mymaths, I used it when I was resitting the first time, my old school have changed the password :frown:
Don't worry about giving me yours, I can ask my younger sister for hers :smile:
Jordan1990
I know mymaths, I used it when I was resitting the first time, my old school have changed the password :frown:
Don't worry about giving me yours, I can ask my younger sister for hers :smile:

do you find it helps?
Reply 16
Cannonball
do you find it helps?

It did at the time when I first used it. It's been well over a year since I last used it :smile: x
Reply 17
Hi, first post so apologies if it´s in the wrong place

Basically I´m a mature student living overseas & I´d like to resit my Maths GCSE, I haven´t a clue where to start and am hoping for some advice.

Im 30 and haven´t studied maths since I was at school, my other GCSE´s where all As & Bs, I was hopeless at Maths though and got an E!!!

My ideas so far are paying for a distance learning course (ICS Learn?) and wondered if anyone had any experience with this & could reccomend a good course. My other ideas involved trying to find a tutor locally and finding out about free resources online.

I know I could find some of this info out with a Google search, but what I´m really hoping for on here is some personal advice from someone who´s maybe been in a similar position.

Many thanks and good luck to all of you with exams coming up : )

Latest