Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19 and preparing to resit my GCSE in maths as an external student. I basically have no confidence when it comes to maths and I really struggle. My partner has been helping me and tutoring me but on occasions we do clash when there is something I don't understand.

I think what I'm asking is for someone to help me over msn or PM. I cannot give specifics on the various sections on maths because it is virtually everything I need help with.

For example yesterday I was attempting to work on upper and lower bounds and I just cannot get my head around it.

Feel free to reply to me on here or via PM.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Go through work, and anytime you have a problem, post it in this maths forum.
    People are really quick in replying and happy to help

ReputationRep:
    maths watch

ReputationRep:
    Just keep on doing a lot of questions. That is the only way to understand maths.

http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/course/c...page=15&page=0
    alot of the introductory ones will be gcse level.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I can't help you at all but I am in the exact same position and also taking GCSE Maths privately, I'm 21

I'm absolutely terrified. I sat the first exam in November as I was doing it alongside my other course at college but the teacher wouldn't let me continue last month because I failed the first module and was getting left behind so much ( unfair considering I wasn't able to attend school in year 10/11 after being really ill) and as a result lost all faith in myself until I found out I could arrange my own exams without his input at college so now I've my resit and next module in March and then the last one in June. I hope you manage to get some help!

ReputationRep:
    how do you resit gcse maths as an external candidate? i'd like to get an a*

(Original post by Jordan1990)
    I'm 19 and preparing to resit my GCSE in maths as an external student. I basically have no confidence when it comes to maths and I really struggle. My partner has been helping me and tutoring me but on occasions we do clash when there is something I don't understand.

I think what I'm asking is for someone to help me over msn or PM. I cannot give specifics on the various sections on maths because it is virtually everything I need help with.

For example yesterday I was attempting to work on upper and lower bounds and I just cannot get my head around it.

Thanks
    Have you got this

It's very useful and explains everything clearly

ReputationRep:
    Feel free to post any problems you're having in the Maths forum
    There are plenty of us knocking around who are quite handy at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jfranny)
    how do you resit gcse maths as an external candidate? i'd like to get an a*
    I got in touch with AQA to find out places I could sit it who accept external candidates.

See this for list of centres

http://store.aqa.org.uk/admin/librar...ND-CENTRES.PDF

I got in touch with my chosen centre and it's being taken from there.

ReputationRep:
    I got in touch with AQA to find out places I could sit it who accept external candidates.

thanks

ReputationRep:

i wouldn't have to sit the exam with a class of year 11 students from a school i don't know would i? that would be quite embarrasing.. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jfranny)
    i wouldn't have to sit the exam with a class of year 11 students from a school i don't know would i? that would be quite embarrasing.. :eek:
    I have no idea but by the time I sit the exam ill be 20...imagine how I feel lol

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    http://www.mymaths.co.uk/

I have a login but it's my school's so I'm not sure about giving it to you.

They have some free stuff, they're quite good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cannonball)
    http://www.mymaths.co.uk/

I have a login but it's my school's so I'm not sure about giving it to you.

They have some free stuff, they're quite good
    I know mymaths, I used it when I was resitting the first time, my old school have changed the password
    Don't worry about giving me yours, I can ask my younger sister for hers

ReputationRep:
    I know mymaths, I used it when I was resitting the first time, my old school have changed the password
    Don't worry about giving me yours, I can ask my younger sister for hers
    do you find it helps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cannonball)
    do you find it helps?
    It did at the time when I first used it. It's been well over a year since I last used it x

ReputationRep:
    Hi, first post so apologies if it´s in the wrong place

Basically I´m a mature student living overseas & I´d like to resit my Maths GCSE, I haven´t a clue where to start and am hoping for some advice.

Im 30 and haven´t studied maths since I was at school, my other GCSE´s where all As & Bs, I was hopeless at Maths though and got an E!!!

My ideas so far are paying for a distance learning course (ICS Learn?) and wondered if anyone had any experience with this & could reccomend a good course. My other ideas involved trying to find a tutor locally and finding out about free resources online.

I know I could find some of this info out with a Google search, but what I´m really hoping for on here is some personal advice from someone who´s maybe been in a similar position.

Many thanks and good luck to all of you with exams coming up : )

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.