Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A question about individuals who are gay watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Could it be because most people are straight, and most people ASSUME you are straight. I'm sure if you were living in a gay world you would hate it if they asked you if you had a boyfriend and you were a straight guy. It's also making people more aware that these people exist and are just like any other and therefore reduces ignorance and homophobia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schmokie Dragon)
    Watch Before Stonewall.

Yes, in once sense it seems silly to have "pride" over things that we don't choose and are just aspects of who we are, but when you understand the truly epic struggles that LGBT have faced in order to be as accepted as we are now in the UK, you can surely see why some people feel entitled to express their sexuality in a very open way.

Being open about sexuality also challenges those people who believe we should hide away and not display our "perverted" natures in public. It's about challenging stereotypes and people who wish we didn't exist and about having the confidence to be honest about who we are despite the crap that still comes with it.

"Pride" also isn't about being proud of being gay. It's about being proud of overcoming adversity, being proud of achieving more equal rights and about showing people that we do exist, we do have rights, we will still fight for them and we are a powerful group of real people. It's also about having solidarity with those who still struggle and about showing people that sexuality is nothing to be ashamed of.

It's also a damned good excuse for a party.
    Lol too right!

ReputationRep:
    There is a straight pride festival, actually.

My best friend and I were in London and asked why all these people were in fancy dress, and they said it was part of their straight pride march.

I don't know why homo's make such a big deal - perhaps they want some attention.

ReputationRep:
    You're an idiot

ReputationRep:
    I suggested this in another thread - maybe they act overtly gay because they want it to be obvious that they're gay, which gives other gay people the green light to come and chat them up.

If you were a gay man, you wouldn't approach just any random man with your advances, chances are, he's going to be straight. Instead, you'd wait until you found someone who you were quite sure was gay (because they were acting like it) and approach them instead.

It's probably because people will naturally assume that a person is straight unless it is otherwise indicated.

ReputationRep:
    I never got it either. Gay pride parades are as retarded as white pride parades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    Camp people are turds.
    People who act like the opposite sex are turds.

Gay people are fine unless they fall within said groups.
    Straight people are fine unless they fall within said groups.

I hate anyone who falls within those 2 groups. It just so happens that there are more gay people within those groups.

Why is it that when someone is gay, they usually adhere to the gay stereotype, like Will Young? Why do they suddenly just become gay?
    you look like you could fall into either of them groups based on your profile pic..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    You're an idiot
    And the award for the most constructive post goes to...

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's necessary right, but it seems to be that groups of people who have been opressed can have their pride & have things for them, if you get what I mean.

Like we have the MOBO awards specifically for black people & I think that's seen as okay because black people have neen opressed in the past. So for gay people because there's been so much discrimination in the past it's good for them to in a way make a statement as there's nothing wrong & no need to be discriminated against. Gay pride is quite a big thing in Manchester & I think it's pretty cool.

Been straight has always been accepted, it's seen as the norm so there's no need really to say "look at me, I'm hetrosexual", also not all gay people are like that, I'm bi & there's a loads of people that don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IheartASOS)
    And the award for the most constructive post goes to...
    It's called 'not dignifying the OP with a response'

I was conveying my contempt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invocation)
    I never got it either. Gay pride parades are as retarded as white pride parades.
    Read my post and open your mind a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    Gay people are fine unless they fall within said groups.
    Straight people are fine unless they fall within said groups.
    Since when did people need your permission to be the way they are? People can act however the hell they want, gay, straight, bi, whatever as long as they're not hurting anyone. You don't have to be their bestest friend but just live and let live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiddleMeThis)
    you look like you could fall into either of them groups based on your profile pic..
    lol you make me feel as sad as *I* look in *my* picture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    It's called 'not dignifying the OP with a response'

I was conveying my contempt
    But it was only a topic for debate, I wasn't criticising anyone :confused:

Anyway, having read your reply, I'm quite certain that you're one of those annoying self-righteous people, in which case, I've no time for you either.

ReputationRep:
    My Dad is in a team at work where 4/6 of them are gay and/or overtly camp.

It doesn't stop him being fairly homophobic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cardine92)
    Since when did people need your permission to be the way they are? People can act however the hell they want, gay, straight, bi, whatever as long as they're not hurting anyone. You don't have to be their bestest friend but just live and let live.
    Since when were people so stupid to think that I said they're not allowed to be the way they are. stfu fag.

ReputationRep:
    The same reason they have parades :dontknow:

Right, the reason for this thread is because I just came across a member's sig which makes a rather overt reference to their sexuality.

Now this got me thinking: why are some homosexual individuals inclined to be so blatant about their sexuality? It is widely recognised (obviously with the exception of homophobics, religious people etc) that heterosexuality and homosexuality are perfectly normal, however, I've yet to encounter a straight person who shouts about being straight. Also, why don't heterosexual people have a 'straight pride' festival?

I can recognise that it's all centred around being proud of who you are etc, but by homosexuals highlighting their apparent difference, surely they're just making a 'rod for their own back' with regard to people who 'fear' them because they are different?

Anyway, I just want to hear other people's opinions and views, and please let me make it clear that I am in no way homophobic; two of my best friends are gay, but with them, I also find that they engage in PDAs far more frequently than my straight friends. Discuss.
    not been on facebook lately? every other profile is filled with pictures of people showing off their (hetrosexual)sex life.

the men who fill their profiles with pictures of naked women, and the women who post pictures of themselves with men in nightclubs are doing just the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    Why do some homosexuals speak as they do?
    Why do they act overly feminine...

I thought the idea was that you love members of the same sex... thus why act like the opposite sex? It has never made sense to me...

ReputationRep:
    But it was only a topic for debate, I wasn't criticising anyone :confused:

Anyway, having read your reply, I'm quite certain that you're one of those annoying self-righteous people, in which case, I've no time for you either.
    It wasn't a topic, it was a question with a very obvious answer.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.