Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I hate gay pride. I mean i'm ok with people being gay but it's not the ideal is it? Why on earth would you want to shout about being gay?

ReputationRep:
    im sorry, call me a homophobe, but i just cant accept gays. gay pride festivals should be banned - its not something normal/natural. however, as gays cant be blamed for being gays, they should be left to live normally as long as they dont promote gayness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simone.xox)
    [...]Like we have the MOBO awards specifically for black people[...]
    No, we have awards for music of black origin, not black people, any race can win them.

I don't think most gay people shout about their sexuality all the time, they just act like straight people but you don't notice it with the latter. E.g. you see straight couples kissing or holding hands and hear them talking about their partners all the time but if a gay couple is doing it its more noticeable and they're accused of promoting their sexuality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Why do some homosexuals speak as they do?
    Why do they act overly feminine...

I thought the idea was that you love members of the same sex... thus why act like the opposite sex? It has never made sense to me...
    Why do you act the way you do? Serious question btw. What makes you think that anyone who isn't straight or doesn't conform to social norms has made a conscious decision to do so?

ReputationRep:
    A straight person may well talk about how they hooked up with a pretty woman, or wow isn't she hot, I'd tap that! etc. etc. You personally just don't notice straight people shouting about their sexuality.

Gay pride is important as homophobia is still rampant. Even more for transgendered individuals. If allows people to be amongst like people, and to be normal for once rather than being pushed into the 'you're different' category.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    No, we have awards for music of black origin, not black people, any race can win them.

I don't think most gay people shout about their sexuality all the time, they just act like straight people but you don't notice it with the latter. E.g. you see straight couples kissing or holding hands and hear them talking about their partners all the time but if a gay couple is doing it its more noticeable and they're accused of promoting their sexuality.
    I don't do PDAs with my other half - makes it abit more fun if I "accidentally" quickly hold his hand

Some "gays" (by "gays" I mean Oh my god my entire life is based around being gay and that's what I am and that's all that is to me) need to realise that it still isn't tolerated and probably never will be.

And all this "normal" business isn't true - "Normal" on this thread should be read as "majority."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    I hate gay pride. I mean i'm ok with people being gay but it's not the ideal is it? Why on earth would you want to shout about being gay?
    It's not shouting about being gay, it's about being with other gay people. Schmokie has already summed it up beautifully but I don't see the problem with thousands of pounds going to LGBT and HIV charities, a candlelight vigil for remembrance and support, a celebration of growing tolerance, and yes a chance to get free or cheaper alcohol/entry into gay bars, and the chance to see some fantastic singers and bands.

If half the people that complain about pride bothered to research it at all then maybe they'd see it's about more than a glittery Wizard of Oz float going down a main road, and lots of naturally camp men that god forbid get to be themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    Since when were people so stupid to think that I said they're not allowed to be the way they are. stfu fag.
    Since when were people so stupid that they do not understand the difference between saying and implying.

I don't a **** what kind of personality or mannerisms you consider "fine". The fact that some girls dress head to foot in Hollister annoys me but pfft, does it really matter to me? No. Do I even give a **** about how other people choose to live their lives? No, believe it or not, not everything everyone ever does is to piss you off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    Camp people are turds.
    People who act like the opposite sex are turds.

Gay people are fine unless they fall within said groups.
    Straight people are fine unless they fall within said groups.

I hate anyone who falls within those 2 groups. It just so happens that there are more gay people within those groups.

Why is it that when someone is gay, they usually adhere to the gay stereotype, like Will Young? Why do they suddenly just become gay?
    I actually don't have a problem with those people. I have much more of an issue with gay guys who tone up and act like muscled hunks towards each other. That is very superficial. But it's ok for gay guys to be effeminate and act girly if that's how they feel. A muscle man ******* a muscleman is a mental image I don't like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IheartASOS)
    Why are some homosexual individuals inclined to be so blatant about their sexuality? It is widely recognised (obviously with the exception of homophobics, religious people etc) that heterosexuality and homosexuality are perfectly normal, however, I've yet to encounter a straight person who shouts about being straight. Also, why don't heterosexual people have a 'straight pride' festival?

I can recognise that it's all centred around being proud of who you are etc, but by homosexuals highlighting their apparent difference, surely they're just making a 'rod for their own back' with regard to people who 'fear' them because they are different?
    I thing gay pride is a good thing to make people recognise how much stigma there is surrounding being gay in society, even though it's supposed to be acceptable. One of my gay friends is very shy about admitting his sexuality, while another is very overt about it, so perhaps the PDA could just be that people you see around are extroverts anyway, and would show PDA even if they were straight...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    I actually don't have a problem with those people. I have much more of an issue with gay guys who tone up and act like muscled hunks towards each other. That is very superficial. But it's ok for gay guys to be effeminate and act girly if that's how they feel. A muscle man ******* a muscleman is a mental image I don't like.
    That's actually quite a funny image.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cardine92)
    Since when were people so stupid that they do not understand the difference between saying and implying.
    Since when were people too stupid to realise the difference between implying something and inferring something? I never implied that they're not allowed. You inferred and interpreted something wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Why do some homosexuals speak as they do?
    Why do they act overly feminine...

I thought the idea was that you love members of the same sex... thus why act like the opposite sex? It has never made sense to me...
    Some people are really caught up in silly gender discourses =/. It's about physical attraction (i.e., liking men's or women's bodies), not how someone acts. Can you not even distinguish these two things?

Also, camp men don't act like girls; they act like camp men. There's a definite difference.

ReputationRep:
    Right, the reason for this thread is because I just came across a member's sig which makes a rather overt reference to their sexuality.

Now this got me thinking: why are some homosexual individuals inclined to be so blatant about their sexuality?
    People are assumed to be straight, ever heard of a straight person "coming out"?

It is widely recognised (obviously with the exception of homophobics, religious people etc) that heterosexuality and homosexuality are perfectly normal, however, I've yet to encounter a straight person who shouts about being straight. Also, why don't heterosexual people have a 'straight pride' festival?
    Because it's not needed? Hell, their life is one!
    It's like asking "why are there gay clubs but not straight clubs", because normals clubs are (predominantly) straight clubs!

I can recognise that it's all centred around being proud of who you are etc, but by homosexuals highlighting their apparent difference, surely they're just making a 'rod for their own back' with regard to people who 'fear' them because they are different?
    Overt sexuality normalises the fact; why are less people homophobic now then 20 years ago? Because it's come out into the open and people have realised it's normal, and not their place to interfere.

Anyway, I just want to hear other people's opinions and views, and please let me make it clear that I am in no way homophobic; two of my best friends are gay, but with them, I also find that they engage in PDAs far more frequently than my straight friends. Discuss.
    Straight people engage in just as many PDAs tbh, but people are just oblivious to it because it's seen as 'normal'.

And even if they're not, so what? It's part of their identity, if they don't wanna be mistaken for straight, who are you to say otherwise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gremlins)
    Some people are really caught up in silly gender discourses =/. It's about physical attraction (i.e., liking men's or women's bodies), not how someone acts. Can you not even distinguish these two things?
    Sorry, for a second there I thought love partially entailed personality and behaviour... Obviously not.

Also, camp men don't act like girls; they act like camp men. There's a definite difference
    I didn't say they act like girls; though some do. I said they act feminine.

ReputationRep:
    Right, the reason for this thread is because I just came across a member's sig which makes a rather overt reference to their sexuality.

Now this got me thinking: why are some homosexual individuals inclined to be so blatant about their sexuality? It is widely recognised (obviously with the exception of homophobics, religious people etc) that heterosexuality and homosexuality are perfectly normal, however, I've yet to encounter a straight person who shouts about being straight. Also, why don't heterosexual people have a 'straight pride' festival?

Anyway, I just want to hear other people's opinions and views, and please let me make it clear that I am in no way homophobic; two of my best friends are gay, but with them, I also find that they engage in PDAs far more frequently than my straight friends. Discuss.
    agree with all this
    ooh look at me im gay and proud... STFU and get over it, everyone else has.
    shouting loudly about it just shows insecurity tbh

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, for a second there I thought love partially entailed personality and behaviour... Obviously not.
    You can be gay and never fall in love. Ditto straight people. Homosexuality is about being physically attracted to members of the same gender.

I didn't say they act like girls; though some do. I said they act feminine.
    .... quoi?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gremlins)
    You can be gay and never fall in love. Ditto straight people. Homosexuality is about being physically attracted to members of the same gender.
    It is possible for heterosexual males to be attracted to females based on non-physical factors including personality. Do such feelings not occur in homosexual individuals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    to be normal
    if you are not normal, shouting and moaning are not going to make you so.
    normality, unfortunately, remains straight. that doesnt mean anyone cares if you are gay. its just looking at facts.

ReputationRep:
    It is possible for heterosexual males to be attracted to females based on non-physical factors including personality. Do such feelings not occur in homosexual individuals?
    =/ Are you being deliberately annoying? Of course they do. Straight men can be attracted to other males based on non-physical factors. Homosexual men can be attracted to girls based on non-physical factors. Anyone can be attracted to anyone based on non-physical factors. That's why when you talk about 'homosexuality' you're talking about physical attraction.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.