Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gremlins)
    =/ Are you being deliberately annoying?
    YES. Yes I am.
    Sorry I am bored

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    lol you make me feel as sad as *I* look in *my* picture.
    Why is there a picture of a homo on your profile, mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christian_j)
    Ahh, the age-old 'gay friend so I'm not homophobic' scapegoat.

Cliché much?
    It's like a muderer saying:
    "I'm not a muderer, some of my best friends are alive"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IheartASOS)
    Right, the reason for this thread is because I just came across a member's sig which makes a rather overt reference to their sexuality.

Now this got me thinking: why are some homosexual individuals inclined to be so blatant about their sexuality? It is widely recognised (obviously with the exception of homophobics, religious people etc) that heterosexuality and homosexuality are perfectly normal, however, I've yet to encounter a straight person who shouts about being straight. Also, why don't heterosexual people have a 'straight pride' festival?

I can recognise that it's all centred around being proud of who you are etc, but by homosexuals highlighting their apparent difference, surely they're just making a 'rod for their own back' with regard to people who 'fear' them because they are different?

Anyway, I just want to hear other people's opinions and views, and please let me make it clear that I am in no way homophobic; two of my best friends are gay, but with them, I also find that they engage in PDAs far more frequently than my straight friends. Discuss.
    Well, I'm gay and I don't go around shouting about it at all. In fact, most people are really surprised when they find out I'm gay; I'm not camp in any way. In fact, many of my female friends say that I'm the most masculine guy they know.

I actually get quite annoyed by gay people in countries like this being overtly sexual all the time and displaying it for all to see. We've achieved equality in this country now (I really don't care what ultra right-wing religious groups think - you're not going to change their opinion on things like racism, either). I also don't care when people make gay jokes or use the word 'gay' to describe a negative situation. I know that they're not really being homophobic (people make misogynistic jokes all the time, but they're not actually sexist). I think people should just chill out.

Gay pride is just a left-over festival which emerged at a time when gay people were persecuted in this country. Thankfully, that predjudice is quickly disappearing.

God, I wish more gay people weren't so bloody flamboyant and camp. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiddleMeThis)
    Why is there a picture of a homo on your profile, mate.
    Cos I think it's funny how people like to look like that.

ReputationRep:
    Some people are really caught up in silly gender discourses =/. It's about physical attraction (i.e., liking men's or women's bodies), not how someone acts. Can you not even distinguish these two things?

Also, camp men don't act like girls; they act like camp men. There's a definite difference.
    I know it's different for different people, but I'm gay and I usually find effeminate men extremely unattractive. A lot of 'straight acting' gay guys feel the same as I do. I'm attracted to masculinity; not just male bodies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappinessHappening)
    I know it's different for different people, but I'm gay and I usually find effeminate men extremely unattractive. A lot of 'straight acting' gay guys feel the same as I do. I'm attracted to masculinity; not just male bodies.

Haha I would consider myself the exact opposite. I like femininity. Doesn't matter whether a person has a vagina or a penis, that they seem feminine is more important :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Because they want to?
    Im sure nobody would have a problem with a striaght march, its just they are not the minoritys, and its often the minoritys who make themselves know (which I suport fully)

ReputationRep:
    Right, the reason for this thread is because I just came across a member's sig which makes a rather overt reference to their sexuality.

Now this got me thinking: why are some homosexual individuals inclined to be so blatant about their sexuality? It is widely recognised (obviously with the exception of homophobics, religious people etc) that heterosexuality and homosexuality are perfectly normal, however, I've yet to encounter a straight person who shouts about being straight. Also, why don't heterosexual people have a 'straight pride' festival?

I can recognise that it's all centred around being proud of who you are etc, but by homosexuals highlighting their apparent difference, surely they're just making a 'rod for their own back' with regard to people who 'fear' them because they are different?

Anyway, I just want to hear other people's opinions and views, and please let me make it clear that I am in no way homophobic; two of my best friends are gay, but with them, I also find that they engage in PDAs far more frequently than my straight friends. Discuss.
    Because they're gay and proud. Simple as. Gay people often recieve backlash from others. They're the minority as well.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, completely agree with that.
    I suppose I'm just too quick to assume that both types of sexuality are accepted as the norm, because quite evidently a lot of people are prejudiced, and thats obviously why events such as gay pride still exist :dontknow:
    I was looking at what i wrote and the part I wrote in brackets was actually meant to say "isn't aimed at you" not "is aimed at you" lol sorry if i caused any offence.

and i'm glad you agree, personally i don't see what all the fuss is about. You can't help who you are attracted to or who you are. A lot of religious people say it goes against god. I don't mean to be blasphemous but if god didn't agree with gays don't you think he would have put a stop to. It is my belief that if god really does exist that he loves all living things and a lot of the things written in the bible have been proven to be written centuries after sed events are meant to have happened. So whats to say whoever wrote the bible didn't make parts of it up. After all god didn't actually write it lol.

ReputationRep:
    sorry if i rambled on a little bit there lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)

That last part is really not true at all, but I see your point
    yeh actually looking at what i said i see why that i was wrong...nobody asks to be abused. Bt i myself am gay and I dnt act like a woman. Admittedly I get along better with women but that is mainly because they are more accepting whereas i have found that straight men often are a lot less accepting, but in my opinion that is probably because straight men dnt like the idea of being visually undressed by another man like they would do with a woman. And yes I like to look nice and fashionable. but my clothes are mens clothes and they dont make me look like a woman and that is something I cant stand in gay men.

ReputationRep:
    So much misunderstanding in this thread :facepalm: Let me direct you to this post...

ReputationRep:

Gay pride exists to celebrate how far the gay community have come since they were segregated, labelled as mentally ill, and rejected from society. It is a celebration of the freedom, if you will. Heterosexual people, therefore, do not need a straight pride.

ReputationRep:
    Some people in this thread are so fricking dumb.

Anyone who thinks that anyone else would spend their entire life "pretending" to be camp and be feminine needs their head examined. In the same way that straight guys who love beer & wrestling and are pretty macho aren't just pretending to be that way and when they get home they break out their hair curlers and pedicure set. Just because you don't like they way someone acts doesn't mean they are putting it on for show for the sole purpose of irritating you or for picking up people. I find mega-macho, burping, football-lovers pretty bloody irritating myself - it doesn't mean I think they are pretending to be that way ffs.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gay and I'm not camp and 'in your face' about it at all.

That really is a huge sweeping generalisation, I know it's a cliche thing to say...but I guarantee you've plenty of gay/lesbian people and never had a clue because they didn't fulfil your pre-conception.

IMO, as much as some straight people complain about camp people doing their head in...I think they regard it as safer. 'This is what a gay person looks and acts like' kind of deal, it makes them feel comfortably uncomfortable. It's when a gay/lesbian person is completely 'normal' that gets to them, it throws them off and can threaten.

Gays on TV for instance, the 'out' ones are the safe option...the camp gay-best-friend type, the entertainers. Alan Carr, 4 Poofs and a Piano, Gok Wan, Graham Norton, Paul O'Grady etc.

From my experience, when some people find out I'm gay - or even certain celebrities - the reaction is usually 'No way?! But you act so straight?!' as if I was putting it on to fool them.

The pride festivals don't really help, but I understand why people do it. I've never been compelled to go to them, personally, because being gay to me is just another part of my personality...it doesn't consume my life.

I do, however, feel passionately about the amount of discrimination going on. Having the same rights as everyone else is hardly asking a lot. I guess I show my pride through constructive action, not prancing around in a neon thong to Cher.

ReputationRep:
    You can be gay and never fall in love. Ditto straight people. Homosexuality is about being physically attracted to members of the same gender.
    Exactly. There is a difference between being homosexual and homoromantic.

ReputationRep:
    Even if they have this vid in their sig?

ReputationRep:

In my opinion it's because homosexuality needs to be highlighted. People need to know that some people are gay, and that that's not a bad thing.

A recent survey (source) showed that 36% of people thought homosexual acts were “always” or “mostly” wrong. Gay pride in my opinion needs to continue until that figure is a lot lower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ AgnieszkaA)
    if you are not normal, shouting and moaning are not going to make you so.
    normality, unfortunately, remains straight. that doesnt mean anyone cares if you are gay. its just looking at facts.
    LGBT individuals are abnormal in the same way that a physics professor is abnormal, or someone with ginger hair is abnormal. Just the fact that a minority of the population is like that.

What I am meaning is that when you all get together, you are now in that group all LGBT - LGBT is now the norm!

The reason for doing so, when physicists and redheads don't is that LGBT people get more discriminatory and prejudice problems from the rest of society.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.