Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I graduated last year from Imperial with a 3rd in Physics ()
    Long story short I didn't really get on with the course, I didn't party loads, just didn't really do much work as I pretty much hated it. I got straight A's at A-level (maths, chem, physics).

I would like to do the ACA qualification, but obviously applying with a 3rd is pretty pointless as I'm sure they'll just put my application in the bin!

My choices from here seem to be either:
    1) Do a masters (not in physics!), hopefully do a lot better than in my BSc then apply for ACA after that.
    2) Apply for AAT training contracts with the hope of going on to do ACA afterwards.

Does anyone have any experience in this situation or any advice? Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Most big firms won't be interested in a Masters no matter what grade you get as you don't have a 2:1 or above in your first degree (as you didn't know this I think you need to research entry requirements more) Also which university will accept you for a masters with a 3rd?

You can try for AAT but I think your degree will still count against you unfortunately. You might be better off going to college and doing some AAT modules yourself to show that you are serious about it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys I have a similar question. I will graduate with a 2.1 in economics from the University of Nottingham and contemplating on doing either a Masters in Accounting and Finance from Cass/Lancaster or give the ACCA exams whilst I look for a job. I have no interest in doing a masters except to gain knowledge because a lot of small to mid tier firms look for "business or accounting" graduates.

ReputationRep:
    That is an excellent degree to have. Generally professional qualifications such as the ACA/ACCA are considered equivalent level qualifications to a Masters degree and in the accounting world I would say employers value them more than a Masters as they have a more practical focus.

With that degree you could apply for big grad schemes and do ACA - are you sure you would prefer to do ACCA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 456789)
    That is an excellent degree to have. Generally professional qualifications such as the ACA/ACCA are considered equivalent level qualifications to a Masters degree and in the accounting world I would say employers value them more than a Masters as they have a more practical focus.

With that degree you could apply for big grad schemes and do ACA - are you sure you would prefer to do ACCA?
    did you refer that to me? I was thinking of doing ACCA exams because it will give me a knowledge of accounting and I can also get some exams out of the way before I start working full time. I know you can do ACA exams but only the first 9, and after that you have to join a firm to do the remaining.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I was referring to you

ACA - you can do all of the exams except the case study as an independent student

ACCA - yes you can do all the exams but you will also need to join a firm and get your work experience signed off to become a member (Exam passed = affiliate I think)

ReputationRep:
    Yes I was referring to you

ACA - you can do all of the exams except the case study as an independent student

ACCA - yes you can do all the exams but you will also need to join a firm and get your work experience signed off to become a member (Exam passed = affiliate I think)
    On the Kaplan website it said I can only do the professional stage exams as an independent student but I will need to join a firm to do the advanced stage ones. I basically want to do either the ACCA/ACA to get some accounting knowledge which should give me an edge when I come to apply for jobs (instead of doing a masters degree where I won't be able to apply for the jobs during the year of study and its more expensive). Are some firms affiliated to ACA and some to ACCA..how does it actually work? Say I pass some ACCA exams but then come to apply for training contracts with firms that offer the ACA...will I have to do the exams again? So confused, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    The Kaplan website is wrong (and if you phone them they give you even more wrong information!!)

If you look here http://www.icaew.com/index.cfm/route...endent_student it says that you can sit all of the exams except for the case study

Some firms offer ACA training, some offer ACCA and some offer both (if they offer both ACCA usually has lower entry requirements)

If you pass some ACCA exams and then apply for a company that does ACA then they might allow you to carry on with ACCA or you will have to start again - it depends on the company

If you pass some ACA exams and then apply to a company that does ACCA I think you can transfer some credits to ACCA but the chances of continuing with ACA are slim as less firms are approved training organisations for ACA

Companies may have modified entry requirements for people who have sat some exams: http://www.kpmgcareers.co.uk/Graduat...x?pg=413#faq21

No need to be sorry it is all very confusing

ReputationRep:
    The Kaplan website is wrong (and if you phone them they give you even more wrong information!!)

If you look here http://www.icaew.com/index.cfm/route...endent_student it says that you can sit all of the exams except for the case study

Some firms offer ACA training, some offer ACCA and some offer both (if they offer both ACCA usually has lower entry requirements)

If you pass some ACCA exams and then apply for a company that does ACA then they might allow you to carry on with ACCA or you will have to start again - it depends on the company

If you pass some ACA exams and then apply to a company that does ACCA I think you can transfer some credits to ACCA but the chances of continuing with ACA are slim as less firms are approved training organisations for ACA

Companies may have modified entry requirements for people who have sat some exams: http://www.kpmgcareers.co.uk/Graduat...x?pg=413#faq21

No need to be sorry it is all very confusing
    Thanks for the information. Since some companies in industry take on fresh accounting graduates, I doubt they will be ACA approved centres right? Don't you think doing some ACCA papers would be better and safer? I am not sure whether to do a masters in accounting and finance at for example lancaster which offer 5 exemptions or just start giving the ACCA exams (you can do 7 in your first year) whilst look for a job? I already have a decent degree (Nottingham Economics) so I doubt having the LUMS or CASS brand name will add much to my CV right?

ReputationRep:
    Generally industry firms are approved for ACCA/CIMA rather than ACA (though if their are ACA people working there they could become approved)

I don't know that is a choice you will have to make - though generally if you are sure you want to be an accountant doing some professional exams is probably preferable to a Masters

Generally companies tend to focus on first degree rather than 2nd degree so yeah Nottingham is good

ReputationRep:
    dont get caught up in the ACA vs ACCA its a waste of time

the most IMPORTANT thing is your experience what have you done and what can you do

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.