Turn on thread page Beta

Wave equation - stretched string with mass at each end watch

ReputationRep:
    This is the question:
    A string is stretched to a tension T, its ends x=0 and x=L are attached to rings with mass M which are able to slide on parallel smooth wires perpendicular to the string. Show:
    1) The transverse displacement must satisfy Mytt = Tyx at x=0, Mytt = -Tyx at x=0
    2) The normal frequencies are
    3) What are the normal frequencies in their limiting cases as M tends to 0 and infinity?

So,
    y(x,t) = \sum sin(n\pix/l) (ancos(n\pict/l) + bnsin(n\pict/l)
    But I think this is only for fixed ends which mine isn't?

1. I need to use Newtons 2nd Law I think.
    At x=0 Mytt (i+j) = T(i+yxj), so Mytt = Tyx
    At x=L Mytt (i+j) = -T(i+yxj), so Mytt = -Tyx
    This doesn't feel right.

2. I think I need more conditions to be able to solve this. The ends aren't fixed so I can't say y(0,t)=y(l,t)= 0. But can I say anything about the velocity?

ReputationRep:
    But I think this is only for fixed ends which mine isn't?
    You're right, the ends are free to move... In this case the boundary condition you want is the free end boundary condition, which is that the gradient of the displacement is 0 at x = 0 and x= L.

See here for more details - this site pretty much has the exact problem you're dealing with, except it considers massless rings.

http://people.ccmr.cornell.edu/~much...es/node18.html

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, think I've got it now. Not too sure about the last bit but at least the main part of the question is done.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but I'm having trouble getting my head around this problem, even after reading the link.

I have started my separation of variables with y=F(x)G(t)

With some persuading I am willing to believe that y_x(0,t)=y_x(L,t)=0 as the ends are free to move.

Now when I try separation of variables I end up with

y(x,t) = \cos(\frac{n \pi x}{L}) \left( a \cos(\frac{n \pi c t}{L}) + (b \sin(\frac{n \pi c t}{L}) \right) and I'm not sure how to get a w/2Pi which are the normal frequencies into this equation.

Also, I am wondering whether I should have multiple constants a and b or just the two there i.e. should it be a big sum with lots of different constants for different values of n?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 20, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.