Turn on thread page Beta

Birmingham/Manchester/Leeds watch

• View Poll Results: Leeds, Manchester or Birmingham - which one should I choose?
    Leeds
    33.33%
    Manchester
    29.63%
    Birmingham
    37.04%

ReputationRep:
    Trying to decide which one to put as my firm choice but can't deicde. I've visted them all and love them all. All of them are very good for my subject. Which one has the edge/ more 'wow' factor in terms of reputation?

ReputationRep:
    Manchester!

I haven't been to Birmingham but am pretty much from Leeds and at uni in Manchester and i would say that manc is the best city with best night life etc

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is awesome

ReputationRep:
    Manchester. Amazing city, better rep. Go for it

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm born and bred in Birmingham, I'll try not to bias this too much:

Leeds: My best mate is up there, it's such a boring city! Seriously, I don't see why Leeds has got this reputation for being a mad student place to be. There's just shops on a hill with a small amount of pubs; the majority being crap.

Birmingham: The Campus in Edgsbaston/Selly Oak is absolutly brilliant for a student. You are near the city centre, however it's like a micro-community around the university itself. Selly Oak has brilliant pubs aimed towards students, with the city centre and its wide variety of pubs and clubs being 10 mins on the bus!

Manchester: Only been there once on a night out, can't really comment.

If you need any info on Birmingham as a place, I'm your man

ReputationRep:
    Which subject..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Who2004uk)
    Well I'm born and bred in Birmingham, I'll try not to bias this too much:

Leeds: My best mate is up there, it's such a boring city! Seriously, I don't see why Leeds has got this reputation for being a mad student place to be. There's just shops on a hill with a small amount of pubs; the majority being crap.

Birmingham: The Campus in Edgsbaston/Selly Oak is absolutly brilliant for a student. You are near the city centre, however it's like a micro-community around the university itself. Selly Oak has brilliant pubs aimed towards students, with the city centre and its wide variety of pubs and clubs being 10 mins on the bus!

Manchester: Only been there once on a night out, can't really comment.

If you need any info on Birmingham as a place, I'm your man
    Aww, I love Birmingham.
    Wish I could've achieved the grades to get into the Uni

ReputationRep:
    Leeds without a doubt!

ReputationRep:
    birmingham ftw

ReputationRep:
    Subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nex Angelus)
    Leeds without a doubt!
    This. I completely go with Leeds, despite growing up near it I would happily go to university there. Birmingham consists of ringroads and towerblocks, Manchester rains...Leeds is just :love:

ReputationRep:
    Have you actually been to Leeds?

ReputationRep:
    Leeds is like a wanna be Manchester, in terms of city as well as uni, tbh. Not as big, not as cool

ReputationRep:
    In terms of 'reputation', Manchester and Leeds are the better two.

Manchester also has the better nightlife.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Have you actually been to Leeds?
    Many times, I'm comparing Leeds to not only London & Birmingham but all the other smaller cities such as Nottingham, Oxford, Liverpool etc that I've been to.

I stand by what I say, It's crap.

ReputationRep:
    I grew up in Wakefield, which is close to Leeds, and have lived in Leeds since 2008. The problem with Leeds is that it feels incredibly cliché when it comes to student type night outs and events. I find it amusing when a student (from down south, for example) moves to Leeds thinking it's a fun, amazing city! Reality check time. I don't rate the university either.

Leeds, for a non-student, is fine. Leeds, for a student, immensely dull. Just my two cents.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester. I voted Leeds, then thought about it again... apologies! I've lived here all my life and I'll miss it when I do leave, the nightlife is amazing, so many different kinds of bars/places to go... gigs are on all the time if you're into that sort of thing.

Northern Quarter's there for all your thrift finds, lots of one off vintage shops and record stores too.

If I wasn't from Manchester I'd definitely come and study here.

ReputationRep:
    They are all good universities, however all depends on what you are going there for. If partying is a big part of your life then I would say Leeds, closely followed by Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    Bham! But seriously depends whether you want a campus or city uni. Manchester is city, leeds and bham are campuses.

ReputationRep:
    Many times, I'm comparing Leeds to not only London & Birmingham but all the other smaller cities such as Nottingham, Oxford, Liverpool etc that I've been to.

I stand by what I say, It's crap.
    Leeds is worse than Nottingham?

Each to their own I guess...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.