Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So annoyed with what someone on my FB wrote about uni students Watch

ReputationRep:
    I think she's jealous...but I can't say I blame her, if i was in her position I too would be jealous of people (especially friends of mine) going to university and getting a good degree. think about it, even if apprenticeships and certain jobs have an equal social status to getting a degree, she's missing out on a really good experience. Nevertheless it's not the end of the world if she doens't go to uni either.
    Anyway, jealousy can make people say nasty things, it's probably best if you don't take this any further i.e. don't reply.

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone can be clever, we need janitors and prostitutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunpro)
    OMG, I'm really stressed atm with final year and applying for jobs outside of Britain, and then I find this statement on Facebook from this trollop with whom I went to school.

- I day go to College never bothered with Uni, got a job from school, got qualifications by learning at home, I acheive Legal qualifications u show ur mum & u don't even get a well done. Supose if I went to college, dossed for a bit earning no money gone to uni & havin £10,000 of debit & probally not even getting a job a...t the end despite having a degree, cuz you have no life skills, id get a god party!!

What annoyed me though is that I've probably got a better CV than her and I haven't worked my ass off for a basic wage for 5 years. Obviously those 'legal qualifications' (probably an NVQ in Paperclips) did nothing for her standard of written English.

After I graduate, I'm appyling to work in New York for a while (so it's realistic prospect) and then come back to the UK to get a proper graduate job with the experience I'll have accrued. Therefore it pisses me off when a sket like her criticises all the 'debit' (:toofunny:) I'll be in.

Should I say someting to her?
    Rise above it honey. She's just trying to wind you up. You've taken different paths. She should respect that. She can't.

ReputationRep:
    Wtf, I'm having such severe trouble understanding that, maybe I should get a course on idiot speak :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Just leave it, she's probably just jealous. But if she just couldn't afford to go to uni, well, then she's done pretty well for herself. It's all about making the best of what you've got.

ReputationRep:
    Chip on shoulder.

It sounds like you've got a harboured jealousy of her; are you sure your hatred for her is solely related to her post? Or does it run deeper than that?

ReputationRep:
    :yawn:

Moooove on, honey. It's none of your business.

ReputationRep:
    She's right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex5383)
    Not everyone can be clever, we need janitors and prostitutes.
    Some of those are clever - Belle de Jour was doing a Masters when she was working as call girl methinks.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Who cares? If she wants to do it that way then let her...

ReputationRep:
    Which legal qualifications? The Prison Service is not a legal qualification

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with an NVQ in paperclips :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carpediemxx)
    Dont take it personally.

But lets be honest here...university degrees, especially standard 3 year ones, are becoming less valuable. Many many graduates are out of jobs, dont go into the areas they are interested in and work for minimum wage behind bars. A freind of mine turned down 6 uni offers one being cambridge and went straight into work. TBH, if i were in the same area i would have done the same since i believe you can get further that way in the current climate.

Nevertheless, dont take it persoanlly, good luck with your future plans to work in NY
    This makes me pretty sad- but true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afrotortina)
    To be fair she did work too, at a job and qualifications. I say good on her for that, at least shes not on benefits, and her mum could be proud!

However the uni thing is a generalisation that makes me cross.
    See that, That makes me cross.

My husband and I have been on and off benefits since the start of the recession, when his company decided to close their southern office, and Then the new job he got went bust after screwing up a major contract and laid off half the office.

He's now a stay at home dad and works hard looking after the Kids, and I'm studying and have been looking for work for 14months without any joy.

We're not claiming benefits at the moment, as we cant get anything so we're living on next to no money.

You don't like Generalisations about Uni students, I don't like generalisations about those on benefits being knuckle-dragging mouth-breathers who spend their benefits on drink and weed and their ambition is to be famous by appearing on Jeremy Kyle.

Sometimes **** just happens and there is nothing you can do about it.

ReputationRep:
    Un-friend her :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    She can't write properly, enough said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Some of those are clever - Belle de Jour was doing a Masters when she was working as call girl methinks.
    Belle De Jour is Dr Brooke Magnanti.

She became a a Call Girl whilst working for a PhD, which she worked for here at Sheffield University.

ReputationRep:
    Trollop RORFL !!

ReputationRep:
    I feel bad now. It turns out her mother called her a failure because she didn't go to college or uni, and she went 'I wor a clever clogs, so 'er meks me feel like a failure'.

I think it's good that she is where she is, but I still resent her generalisation of uni students.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.