Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So annoyed with what someone on my FB wrote about uni students watch

ReputationRep:
    I feel bad now. It turns out her mother called her a failure because she didn't go to college or uni, and she went 'I wor a clever clogs, so 'er meks me feel like a failure'.

I think it's good that she is where she is, but I still resent her generalisation of uni students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Some of those are clever - Belle de Jour was doing a Masters when she was working as call girl methinks.
    This is her apparently: http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle6917495.ece

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Some of those are clever - Belle de Jour was doing a Masters when she was working as call girl methinks.
    I'd imagine so, it was a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex5383)
    I'd imagine so, it was a joke.
    I know it was

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what your friend is talking about

But I'll just go with the flow, yeahh that's totally annoying, she's totally stupid and stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunpro)
    OMG, I'm really stressed atm with final year and applying for jobs outside of Britain, and then I find this statement on Facebook from this trollop with whom I went to school.

- I day go to College never bothered with Uni, got a job from school, got qualifications by learning at home, I acheive Legal qualifications u show ur mum & u don't even get a well done. Supose if I went to college, dossed for a bit earning no money gone to uni & havin £10,000 of debit & probally not even getting a job a...t the end despite having a degree, cuz you have no life skills, id get a god party!!

What annoyed me though is that I've probably got a better CV than her and I haven't worked my ass off for a basic wage for 5 years. Obviously those 'legal qualifications' (probably an NVQ in Paperclips) did nothing for her standard of written English.

After I graduate, I'm appyling to work in New York for a while (so it's realistic prospect) and then come back to the UK to get a proper graduate job with the experience I'll have accrued. Therefore it pisses me off when a sket like her criticises all the 'debit' (:toofunny:) I'll be in.

Should I say someting to her?

I am doing my Psychology degree with the Open University from home, and although her approach was not good and it annoyed you, she has valid points. I have been able to work and save money and will be in no debt when I finish, in fact I should have a lot saved up from 4 years of saving. Don't take it so personally.

ReputationRep:
    "University, its like being on the dole but your parents are proud of you"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psylencia)
    See that, That makes me cross.

My husband and I have been on and off benefits since the start of the recession, when his company decided to close their southern office, and Then the new job he got went bust after screwing up a major contract and laid off half the office.

He's now a stay at home dad and works hard looking after the Kids, and I'm studying and have been looking for work for 14months without any joy.

We're not claiming benefits at the moment, as we cant get anything so we're living on next to no money.

You don't like Generalisations about Uni students, I don't like generalisations about those on benefits being knuckle-dragging mouth-breathers who spend their benefits on drink and weed and their ambition is to be famous by appearing on Jeremy Kyle.

Sometimes **** just happens and there is nothing you can do about it.
    I was making a general view, because some people claim benefits, literally because they cba to work. I never said everyone did it, and it would be really hypocritical if i did, because my mum did. Also, you both worked, some people claim benefits whilst never working. Im sorry if i offended you.

My reason for posting originally was to tell the thread starter that theres other ways to progress through life rather than just uni, and if the girl is working, good on her, at least shes doing something. The "uni or nothing" approach annoys me, coz ill be the first ever in my family to go, and my family have done ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunpro)
    OMG, I'm really stressed atm with final year and applying for jobs outside of Britain, and then I find this statement on Facebook from this trollop with whom I went to school.

- I day go to College never bothered with Uni, got a job from school, got qualifications by learning at home, I acheive Legal qualifications u show ur mum & u don't even get a well done. Supose if I went to college, dossed for a bit earning no money gone to uni & havin £10,000 of debit & probally not even getting a job a...t the end despite having a degree, cuz you have no life skills, id get a god party!!

What annoyed me though is that I've probably got a better CV than her and I haven't worked my ass off for a basic wage for 5 years. Obviously those 'legal qualifications' (probably an NVQ in Paperclips) did nothing for her standard of written English.

After I graduate, I'm appyling to work in New York for a while (so it's realistic prospect) and then come back to the UK to get a proper graduate job with the experience I'll have accrued. Therefore it pisses me off when a sket like her criticises all the 'debit' (:toofunny:) I'll be in.

Should I say someting to her?
    At least you can spell :yep:

ReputationRep:
    If that person is actually a native speaker of English, they may have been in a hurry, in a rage, or simply couldn't be arsed to type normally. Whatever. I see it all the time on Facebook and don't give even half a thought to the way someone else wants to write on their own page about their own business.

Also, I understand it as her not taking a swipe at grads but being pissed off that her mum snubbed her. She has many reasons for NOT regretting not going to uni (debt, not being able to get a job at the end - - all REAL results of having been to uni for MANY graduates since... class of '07 / '08, I believe) and has listed them in her diatribe. That is all.

You, OP, appear overly-sensitive and someone who seeks validation from others, which INCLUDES nobody bringing to light anything negative about your decisions. That is lame. And posting some of her name is equally as lame -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afrotortina)
    I was making a general view, because some people claim benefits, literally because they cba to work. I never said everyone did it, and it would be really hypocritical if i did, because my mum did. Also, you both worked, some people claim benefits whilst never working. Im sorry if i offended you.

My reason for posting originally was to tell the thread starter that theres other ways to progress through life rather than just uni, and if the girl is working, good on her, at least shes doing something. The "uni or nothing" approach annoys me, coz ill be the first ever in my family to go, and my family have done ok.
    Ah no problem, I think its something I get overly snappy and sensitive about, I'm 24, have 3 Children and on&off benefits (Off at the moment as cant get Inc.Support as a couple. and I cant get Jobseekers as I'm a full time student, and He cant because if he gets a job we're scuppered for Childcare) . I know how I look to the outside world on those three facts alone, and very few want to hear or see the rest of the picture

Anyway don't mind me probably just being a grouch

ReputationRep:
    If your CV is so much better and you'll get a better job then don't get so worked up. Just ignore it! Otherwise you'll be as bad as her - what are you going to say "I've got much better prospects than you!". Don't stoop to that level.

ReputationRep:
    I'd start by correcting her spelling and grammar. It's for her own good if she's going to work in Law.

ReputationRep:
    Ah no problem, I think its something I get overly snappy and sensitive about, I'm 24, have 3 Children and on&off benefits (Off at the moment as cant get Inc.Support as a couple. and I cant get Jobseekers as I'm a full time student, and He cant because if he gets a job we're scuppered for Childcare) . I know how I look to the outside world on those three facts alone, and very few want to hear or see the rest of the picture

Anyway don't mind me probably just being a grouch
    no worries, I used to be really defensive too!

ReputationRep:
    no worries, I used to be really defensive too!

nps *looks at your details* OooOoo another Hampshire person :eyeball:

Why is it I assume when I see 'Hampshire' I might know someone. One day I will get my head around the fact that Hampshire is slightly larger than my teeny little village :iiam:

ReputationRep:
    nps *looks at your details* OooOoo another Hampshire person :eyeball:

Why is it I assume when I see 'Hampshire' I might know someone. One day I will get my head around the fact that Hampshire is slightly larger than my teeny little village :iiam:
    Woah that was a scary face! I thought you were about to have a go at me for being a Southerner! Phew! Whereabouts do you live?

ReputationRep:
    Woah that was a scary face! I thought you were about to have a go at me for being a Southerner! Phew! Whereabouts do you live?
    A small village between Alton and Winchester I would say where but no-one's ever heard of it

plus you know... internets.... there might be stalkers :hide:

ReputationRep:
    A small village between Alton and Winchester I would say where but no-one's ever heard of it

plus you know... internets.... there might be stalkers :hide:
    Haha, you got me, I'm your stalker :P, but Alton's around a 20min drive from me, what a small world!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, you got me, I'm your stalker :P, but Alton's around a 20min drive from me, what a small world!

:vroam:

It is indeed a small world

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.