Turn on thread page Beta

I want to work for Vogue or Elle what Apprenticeship should I take? watch

ReputationRep:
    forums are a *****

ReputationRep:
    "I love fashion and want to study it at college. I also am very interested in physcology, buisness and law! I am quiet shy and reserved when im getting to know somebody but once you know me im crazy lol!"

You will never - repeat - never work for any decent fashion magazine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kater Murr)
    "I love fashion and want to study it at college. I also am very interested in physcology, buisness and law! I am quiet shy and reserved when im getting to know somebody but once you know me im crazy lol!"

and why is that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovemichaeljackson)
    and why is that?
    He's picking up on your bad spelling. He probably has a point, to work for a magazine your basic english should be up to scratch - but this is the internet, so you may just be being a bit lazy!

ReputationRep:
    Start off small, and make your way there??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punkyrocker)
    He's picking up on your bad spelling. He probably has a point, to work for a magazine your basic english should be up to scratch - but this is the internet, so you may just be being a bit lazy!
    oooo i c. wel it iz da net init bro... I am a straight A student so kiss my arse.

ReputationRep:
    oooo i c. wel it iz da net init bro... I am a straight A student so kiss my arse.
    I wasn't being rude, I was just stating a fact and explaining what the other poster meant. I didn't doubt your spelling, or your grades. Best of luck with the apprenticeship, although I'm not sure I know enough to help. I'd suggest trying local magazines, and accruing enough experience to be considered for a larger one.

ReputationRep:
    do fashion journalism at uni? that's what a friend of mine is doing, sounds so fun! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kater Murr)

I'm inclined to agree. Assuming that fashion journalism is fairly competitve, some literate people will also be competing for the same job. This literacy they possess will be a significant advantage during the application process.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly believe this fantasy role is the most highly desired job there is for the majority of girls. Pretty much the female version of 'Sports Journalism', which a lot of lads seem to want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punkyrocker)
    I wasn't being rude, I was just stating a fact and explaining what the other poster meant. I didn't doubt your spelling, or your grades. Best of luck with the apprenticeship, although I'm not sure I know enough to help. I'd suggest trying local magazines, and accruing enough experience to be considered for a larger one.
    It's fine I wasn't talking about you anyway

ReputationRep:
    Is it just an apprenticeship your after? There are many fashion journalism courses at University level, but otherwise I wouldn't really know where to start for you. But bear in mind that whilst your at university, you should be building up a journalism career, and start to gain experience as soon as you can. One of my friend (in his second year) already writes for the student paper, has formed a film and theatre club and had work experience as local newspapers, magazines and theatres (obviously you might be able to tell his line of work is not fashion, but experience is experience). Hope some of this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Also, London College of Fashion and Arts would be a good place to start, as they would be more focussed on fashion, but also do journalisn degrees.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    do an english degree, write for all the student newspapers you can. preferably study in london. watch lots of fashion shows and graduate collections, analyse marketing, consumer trends, branding and financial matters. write about them. show this to potential employers.

step 1. learn to spell.

ReputationRep:
    You want a career in fashion? Get onto a decent design course at a reputable place. You want a career in journalism? Get onto a decent English course at a reputable place.

To work for somewhere as competitive as Vogue we're talking top 5 universities for the subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Do a degree in English or History or something similar at a good university. Write for student newspaper and try to get involved in the lifestyles section so that you can get the chance to regularly write about fashion. Apply for as much work experience as possible. Start off small. By the end of first year you should be able to get work experience in London. Take anything you can get... Fashion PR/Marketing is great experience and so many of the skills overlap. Try to learn to speak French. Start an online blog. Go to as many shows as possible-- I know you won't be able to just get a seat at one of the major fashion weeks, but London Fashion weekend is available to the public and a lot of shows are now available online. Watch and write about them. Try and get involved in the organising of a fashion show. There is SO much you can do. Realise that when you graduate you're probably going to be living unpaid in London for a year just doing work experience.

There are of course many other routes. Some people start off working at a boutique. Some people come from the straight art background and have done a design course. Anything is possible. It is, however, ridiculously competitive. There are barely any jobs and so many people are after them.

ReputationRep:
    I am a straight A student; so kiss my arse.
    I don't believe you. As he said; if your writing ability is sub-par then, unfortunately for you, you have no chance. Work on it.

ReputationRep:
    I do not repeat do not want to work for a tabloid newspaper or gossip magazine.. I want a career in fashion perhaps working for a fashion designer if not vogue magazine or elle or harpers bazaar. What Apprenticeship suits this the most? Just tell me the answer and get off the page, if you know it great thank you... if you don't why click here?
    You're twitchy, defensively rude...

When can you start?

If you can you fill up a magazine with at least 90% glossy adverts to 10% articles then you're on your way there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    You're twitchy, defensively rude...

When can you start?

If you can you fill up a magazine with at least 90% glossy adverts to 10% articles then you're on your way there.
    I'm sorry who is rude? An innocent just turned 16 year old girl with an ambition or a random cyber dude with clearly no life? And seeing as your so interested I changed the description in hope that annoying anal wipes like you would stay off the page and stop wasting my time! But clearly I was mistaken. My spelling is completely adequate, it's the internet I thought people understood abbreviations these days?

Thank-you greatly to the people who gave me good answers - all taken into consideration.
    And if everyone in the world didn't even attempt to achieve their life long dream just because the industry is competitive then there would be no ledgends in history books. I actually get a pleasure out of hearing "you'll never make it" because it motivates me even more to achieve.

ReputationRep:
    You're not the only one to have ambitions of course. We've all been 16. Your language shows you are not innocent. The innocent act doesn't wash.

That part about spelling and abbreviations was aimed at other people I suppose as I didn't mention it.

'I am quiet shy and reserved when im getting to know somebody but once you know me im crazy lol! im very unpredictable and observant and quietly confident!'

Already glimpsed a fragment of your 'crazy' side. It didn't take much to uncover it.

My impression is that you want advice from a few people and from anyone else who isn't going to fully help you out to go and take a jump off a pier. Your attitude may carry you far in any case. Many journalists aren't famously nice.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.