Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Check this out.

I beg your pardon? What threat of terrorism would that be? Despite the government’s most vigorous efforts to frighten us to death, I hardly feel like I am living in a society under regular threat from terrorism. And even if I were, I’m not sure that having a large number of uniformed, armed men wandering around with completely uncontrolled authority would be any better. The purpose of the military is defence of the realm, and we are under no threat that justifies them wandering around our streets!

"Stronger, more effective partnership with other Whitehall departments, the intelligence agencies, police forces and others at the national level will become even more important to achieving our security objective."

In other words, the military will become integrated into a bureaucratic monster along with all the government departments, increasingly politicised spooks and the very politicised police, all acting at the behest of our political masters. If that doesn’t frighten you to death, then you probably are already dead.

In reading the article, it seems that no-one is in the slightest bit perturbed about this: not the Tories, not the LibDems, not even the Independent’s journalists! Am I alone in viewing this astonishing bit of news as a rather worrying development? The Times and the Telegraph aren’t even covering the story (yet) and the Guardian hasn’t even mentioned this little wrinkle in its rather bland coverage.

Are we really blithely sleep-walking into the genesis of a fascist panopticon Britain? We already have more CCTV than anywhere else in the world, and ANPR cameras to keep track of our cars’ movements. Loyalty cards and credit cards can be used to track all our purchases and the data will be happily provided to the government if “the national interest” is invoked. Your next passport will cause you to be registered into the National ID database. If you add a military integrated into the Whitehall “machine” along with the police and the spies, we really will be in a frightening place.

I really do not like the looks of this.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, its horrible. Can't wait to get out of here.

This all war on terror business is a joke.

ReputationRep:
    They will set up a quick-reaction group to stop attack like Mumbai......

We already have one, the SAS

ReputationRep:
    Tell those who died on 7/7 that it's a joke, don't think they'll laugh.

Arthur

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arthur11)
    Tell those who died on 7/7 that it's a joke, don't think they'll laugh.

Arthur
    "Those who would give up liberty for security deserve neither liberty nor security."

You're now more likely to be killed by a police officer than in a terrorist attack. I'd rather run the risk of another terrorist attack (a low risk) than give up my freedom.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt the troops will be marching the streets, in fact the only idea they seem to have voiced so far is the idea of a rapid response team to terrorist attacks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakePearson)
    "Those who would give up liberty for security deserve neither liberty nor security."

You're now more likely to be killed by a police officer than in a terrorist attack. I'd rather run the risk of another terrorist attack (a low risk) than give up my freedom.
    Probably my boy Ben Franklin's best quote.

I predict a few people will be emigrating from the UK very soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)

I predict a few people will be emigrating from the UK very soon.
    I'm a Jefferson guy myself, but this is a very good, and very true, quote.

And one of those ex-pats will be me. I can't bloody wait!

What terrorist threat exactly? How would these weird army squad things have stopped the 7/7 bombings or 9/11?

"Oh my god look an aeroplane / Muslim, get it!"

The fact is in most cases in the West you don't know it's terrorism until it's done.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Jefferson guy myself, but this is a very good, and very true, quote.

And one of those ex-pats will be me. I can't bloody wait!
    "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." I always found that one true from old Ben.

I moved away some 5 years ago. However, university calls but once they give me the piece of paper I'll be back out in a flash. Where you heading?

ReputationRep:
    One does wonder how soldiers will be able to stop suicide bomber. In fact it'll probably increase them, your average UK hating Afghan will be overjoyed at the prospect of running onto a street anywhere in the country and detonating themselves among people who, to a large extend, they could justify killing. On the basis that Uk is at war with Taliban, they are soldiers so fair game.

Another stupid fascist idea.

ReputationRep:
    There definitely is something going on which they haven't told us fully about.
    I mean check out the December 20th article by The Times.
    They've known about this for some time.

Something big is going down and it's got the Government scared.

ReputationRep:
    "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." I always found that one true from old Ben.

I already moved away some 5 years ago. However, university calls but once they give me the piece of paper I'll be back out in a flash.

Where you heading?
    That is a good quote.

I did head away when I was about 8 but came back for my 10th birthday. I didn't really feel this country was a hellhole back then, however things have changed! I'm hoping to move to America - probably northern California, Nevada or Texas. You?

ReputationRep:
    I fail to see how this will help at all. Ok I only scan-read the article though this bit seems sensible enough:
    One proposal due to be considered, according to Whitehall officials, was the formation of a rapid reaction force which could be deployed to counter Mumbai-style terrorist attacks and carry out swift operations outside the country.

I read somewhere a while ago that they'd done practise scenarios and failed badly at them so this seems good. But soldiers patrolling the street? wtf would that even do?

ReputationRep:
    That is a good quote.

I did head away when I was about 8 but came back for my 10th birthday. I didn't really feel this country was a hellhole back then, however things have changed! I'm hoping to move to America - probably northern California, Nevada or Texas. You?
    At 10 years old I didn't even know who the Prime Minister was, nor did I care tbh.

It'll depend on my degree, however being half French has opened the door to a possible move to Montréal. Vancouver's another place I'd liked move to, I'm not a huge fan of the US bar California and a few big cities, notably NYC, Boston and Philly, but ultimately it'll depend entirely on my degree. What are you studying/planning on studying anyway?

ReputationRep:
    At 10 years old I didn't even know who the Prime Minister was, nor did I care tbh.

It'll depend on my degree, however being half French has opened the door to a possible move to Montréal. Vancouver's another place I'd liked move to, I'm not a huge fan of the US bar California and a few big cities, notably NYC, Boston and Philly, but ultimately it'll depend entirely on my degree. What are you studying/planning on studying anyway?
    I've heard Montréal is very nice, in fact, I have a friend that moved there and never came back it was so good.

Planning on studying politics and international relations, or possibly international law. That may change though.

What about you?

ReputationRep:
    I've heard Montréal is very nice, in fact, I have a friend that moved there and never came back it was so good.

Planning on studying politics and international relations, or possibly international law. That may change though.

What about you?
    Surprise surprise.

International relations with french or a business orientated subject with french.

You're not going to study in the US and pay ridiculous tuition fees are you?

ReputationRep:
    Surprise surprise.

International relations with french or a business orientated subject with french.

You're not going to study in the US and pay ridiculous tuition fees are you?
    Ha, no, of course not, I'll be staying in Scotland for that. Ideally, I'd like to go to Edinburgh, but Glasgow looks good too. Not too far from home, either. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing really...

ReputationRep:
    I love the Forces, I'd love to see them on our streets.

ReputationRep:
    But I wish people would stop saying it. Its overuse is becoming very wearisome.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.