Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giggsy's Girl)
    I love the Forces, I'd love to see them on our streets.
    Would you run up to them in the streets and put roses down the barrels of their rifles?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Would you run up to them in the streets and put roses down the barrels of their rifles?
    If they asked nicely.

ReputationRep:
    I know, just look at the guys whom we are entrusting in our personal safety and whom are so obviously intelligent enough to fulfil their duties to a high quality...

...this government's a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakePearson)
    Ha, no, of course not, I'll be staying in Scotland for that. Ideally, I'd like to go to Edinburgh, but Glasgow looks good too. Not too far from home, either. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing really...
    Having grown up 30 mins away from Glasgow I've ruled out any possibility of going there and they don't even offer international relations, which made my choice even easier. Ideally though, I have Aberdeen in mind as I'm not too fond of Edinburgh and can't see myself getting into St Andrews, due to the ridiculous amount of applicants for IR. For business, ironically enough, I have Strathclyde and only Strathclyde in mind.

You should check out Abdn if you're planning on studying law, it's ranked 8th by The Times, then again, Edinburgh, Strathclyde, Glasgow and Dundee(of all places) appear in the top 20.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    Having grown up 30 mins away from Glasgow I've ruled out any possibility of going there and they don't even offer international relations, which made my choice even easier. Ideally though, I have Aberdeen in mind as I'm not too fond of Edinburgh and can't see myself getting into St Andrews, due to the ridiculous amount of applicants for IR. For business, ironically enough, I have Strathclyde and only Strathclyde in mind.

You should check out Abdn if you're planning on studying law, it's ranked 8th by The Times, then again, Edinburgh, Strathclyde, Glasgow and Dundee(of all places) appear in the top 20.
    I've looked at Abdn - I do love that city and the courses are quite extensive. Still, Edinburgh is ranked better for IR. I'm surprised about Dundee though, I always thought it was ****. (Awaits neg rep).

So you grew up 30 mins from Glasgow? :eek3: Where abouts? I'm from Falkirk area myself.

ReputationRep:
    I've looked at Abdn - I do love that city and the courses are quite extensive. Still, Edinburgh is ranked better for IR. I'm surprised about Dundee though, I always thought it was ****. (Awaits neg rep).

So you grew up 30 mins from Glasgow? :eek3: Where abouts? I'm from Falkirk area myself.
    I believe only 4 universities in Scotland offer IR. St Andrews, Edinburgh, Abdn and Dundee(which is the order I believe they're ranked).

Dundee surprisingly does well in a few things, notably medicine and law, appart from that, it's dire for the most part.

I was born and raised on the other side, in the worst part of Scotland, North Ayrshire.

£10 says someone with a disco gem studied or studies at Dundee :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    The values of security and liberty are closely entwined. What's the point of security without liberty? Can you have liberty without security?

ReputationRep:
    BTW America is a ********.

ReputationRep:
    The threat to the British mainland is present but is most certainly not so big as to warrant these extreme actions. The July 7 bombings were tragic but when compared to Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan etc. they seem like nothing considering these countries suffer from a "July 7" on a daily basis. An important factor to consider is that the terrorists in the UK have no supply routes to smuggle their explosives in from as the country's an island. Hence they have to make the explosive devices themselves ensuring they have a minisicule chance of carrying out what they intend to do.

ReputationRep:
    I believe only 4 universities in Scotland offer IR. St Andrews, Edinburgh, Abdn and Dundee(which is the order I believe they're ranked).

Dundee surprisingly does well in a few things, notably medicine and law, appart from that, it's dire for the most part.

I was born and raised on the other side, in the worst part of Scotland, North Ayrshire.

£10 says someone with a disco gem studied or studies at Dundee :rofl:
    A lot of applicants for IR at St Andrews though. Edinburgh seems my best bet.

Ah, shame about the North Ayrshire bit. But seriously, you should visit Grangemouth. It's worse than ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomheppy)
    The values of security and liberty are closely entwined. What's the point of security without liberty? Can you have liberty without security?
    If that security is provided based on coercion or spying, by either a state or a private force, then where's the liberty?

As the state's power over security grows, liberty decreases.

ReputationRep:
    BTW America is a ********.
    How so?

ReputationRep:
    Homogeneous societies do not require a degree of security that would infringe on liberty.

I love it. I'm losing my liberty for some Somalian immigrants because some of them and their Pakistani friends want to kill every one.

Want liberty and security? Live in a homogeneous society. Quite easy to achieve with a mass-expelling of enemy peoples. Historical precedents exist with the expulsions of millions of Germans from eastern Europe. End of discussion. You have to be really ignorant to not realise that divided societies require authoritarian governments. Multiculturalism has created a divided society.

ReputationRep:
    Ainsworth is a little Hitler

ReputationRep:
    A lot of applicants for IR at St Andrews though. Edinburgh seems my best bet.

Ah, shame about the North Ayrshire bit. But seriously, you should visit Grangemouth. It's worse than ****.
    St Andrews is 2nd in the UK behind LSE, so there'll undoubtably be competition, not only from UK students but from international students, and unless you're predicted very high grades don't even bother with it.

Edinburgh's almost the same, they ask for AAA(A-level), but if you can combine it with one of the lesser competitive subjects such as scandinavian studies for instance, you should get a lower offer. French wasn't one of those lesser competitive subjects unfortunately

If the west of Scotland didn't have its beaches, I'd have started a petition to nuke it and its inhabitants. It's a complete waste, a shower of ***** to be perfectly honest. Although, my cousin, who works in Falkirk most of the time because she's a lawyer/criminologist has told me a few glorious stories about Falkirk :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    If the west of Scotland didn't have its beaches, I'd have started a petition to nuke it and its inhabitants. It's a complete waste, a shower of ***** to be perfectly honest. Although, my cousin, who works in Falkirk most of the time because she's a lawyer/criminologist has told me a few glorious stories about Falkirk :rolleyes:
    I only have to pass through the West on a train to Prestwick Airport once or twice a year. It depresses me. Although Falkirk depresses me slightly more.

ReputationRep:
    If that security is provided based on coercion or spying, by either a state or a private force, then where's the liberty?

As the state's power over security grows, liberty decreases.
    Well, if the state can stop hundreds of murders (which is uncontroversially a decrease in liberty) by spying on those 100 potential murderers then given that 100 murderers is a greater decrease in liberty than spying on 100 potential murderers it follows that if liberty is something to be protected then ceterus paribus we should spy on those 100 murderers. In that situation wouldn't you accept that by spying on them you are preserving liberty better?

ReputationRep:
    Well, if the state can stop hundreds of murders (which is uncontroversially a decrease in liberty) by spying on those 100 potential murderers then given that 100 murderers is a greater decrease in liberty than spying on 100 potential murderers it follows that if liberty is something to be protected then ceterus paribus we should spy on those 100 murderers. In that situation wouldn't you accept that by spying on them you are preserving liberty better?
    If there is sufficient enough evidence that these people are murderers, as ruled in a court of law then yes, I would agree. However random surveillance, or surveillance based on mere suspicion is wrong, and counts for a decrease in liberty.

ReputationRep:
    How so?
    Because socially it is the most ****** up state in the Western hemisphere. The social problems there make Britain look near perfect. Also it's fully of annoying social and religious conservatives. And not to forget the imperialist neocons who should all be hanged. The divide in wealth is amongst the worst in the Western hemisphere with thousands dying because they have no healthcare. The people are largely rude,ignorant and annoying. They have pathetic animal welfare regulations (not that the UK is much better). They seem unable to recognise that their country has been an imperialist one almost since its existence. It had Reagan as President with the dumbass libertarians there thinking him the ideal example of the laissez faire small government who don't know that he increased government massively.

ReputationRep:
    If there is sufficient enough evidence that these people are murderers, as ruled in a court of law then yes, I would agree. However random surveillance, or surveillance based on mere suspicion is wrong, and counts for a decrease in liberty.
    No, these people are innocent (I am assuming they have committed no crime) but the police suspect them of thinking that murder is acceptable (and thus they are more likely to murder people). Don't you agree that in terms of liberty it is better to spy on 100 people than to let 100 people die?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.