Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A100whoo)
    I agree, its horrible. Can't wait to get out of here.

This all war on terror business is a joke.
    Where are you going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Where are you going?
    TSR Island of course...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiddleMeThis)
    "riddle me this, riddle me that, who's afraid of a big clown hat?
    a rhyme-fangling, vagina-mangling ****!

**** you.

JakeP"

to whom it may concern, this is a piece of abusive neg rep that was doted upon my profile
    Just to point out to those foolish enough to believe I sink to this level, I did not leave this comment - I didn't even rep the *******.

If he wasn't banned, I would though, seeing as he's a lying ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    I'd just like to ask what can the army do that the police can't. I mean yes every army person can handle a gun, whereas not every police person can, however there may as well be tanks and aircraft on (and above!) the streets because all a 'terrorist' has to do is walk streight on past with a bomb in his underpants.
    Most ordinary people can handle guns to, but the state prefers a monopoly over firearms, denying ordinary people the right to self-defence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakePearson)
    That is a good quote.

I did head away when I was about 8 but came back for my 10th birthday. I didn't really feel this country was a hellhole back then, however things have changed! I'm hoping to move to America - probably northern California, Nevada or Texas. You?
    Let me get this straight. You're complaining about the loss of civil liberties and want to emigrate to America.

I think you should do a little bit of research about whats going on over there before you go as you may be in for quite a shock. Ever heard of the FEMA camps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fugeh)
    Let me get this straight. You're complaining about the loss of civil liberties and want to emigrate to America.

I think you should do a little bit of research about whats going on over there before you go as you may be in for quite a shock. Ever heard of the FEMA camps?
    Yes, I know, America isn't exactly the owner of a great track-record on civil liberties. However by advancing the cause, you can help that. Also, the constitution and a good lawyer will protect most of your rights, and get you a big cash payout from the evil bastrards that screwed you over in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    "Those who would give up liberty for security deserve neither liberty nor security."

You're now more likely to be killed by a police officer than in a terrorist attack. I'd rather run the risk of another terrorist attack (a low risk) than give up my freedom.
    Go and leave then by all means, you complain about your civil liberties and freedoms being infringed, go and live in Saudi Arabia, China, North Korea, Zimbabwe etc. and you will really see how petty you are being.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorian gray)
    There definitely is something going on which they haven't told us fully about.
    I mean check out the December 20th article by The Times.
    They've known about this for some time.

Something big is going down and it's got the Government scared.
    Its better that it doesn't come out in the open so that the intelligence/security forces can deal with it without leaving terrorists enough space, time and information to counter. That said taking our civil liberties away removes the principals of democracy and we should be wary of how far they go with these measures.

ReputationRep:
    It's a weird article. It says "Britain's armed forces could be used on a regular basis on the streets of Britain to confront the threat of terrorism", but never mentions it again.
    The Independent seems to have put two and two together to make five. Reshaping defence policy to focus on security within the UK does not necessarily mean the armed forces patrolling Britain's streets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Where are you going?

Sweden

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Square)
    Go and leave then by all means, you complain about your civil liberties and freedoms being infringed, go and live in Saudi Arabia, China, North Korea, Zimbabwe etc. and you will really see how petty you are being.
    If I wanted to live in a place with restrictions like these countries, I'd just stay.

Don't you dare tell me I have to leave my country because I have a government that has no respect towards the basic liberties I was born with, and that I deserve.

How exactly am I being petty?

ReputationRep:
    Another reason to consider moving, much as I love england.

ReputationRep:
    If I wanted to live in a place with restrictions like these countries, I'd just stay.

Don't you dare tell me I have to leave my country because I have a government that has no respect towards the basic liberties I was born with, and that I deserve.

How exactly am I being petty?
    I think it's petty given all the awful things that are happening right now across the world; wars, famine, natural disasters, ethnic cleansing etc. you get your knickers in a twist because you are probably on some CCTV videos somewhere. You can post all the pictures from your libertarian website to try and convince me otherwise but it wont work, regarding the one you did post I noticed this one includes biometric ID cards for the UK, I thought that a) they have not been issued b) the idea was recently scrapped?

I don't see quite why so many students protest to 'their privacy being invaded because of CCTV cameras' but are quite willing to document their entire lives and have hundreds of photos of themselves on facebook which could surely be much more incriminating that a video of you walking down the street.

EDIT: on further investigation the image you posted relates to 2005, where I guess the whole ID card fiasco was going on, this has now been scrapped. Interestingly enough the same picture for 2007 labels the US as 'endemic' in the same bracket as the UK and this is where you say you want to emigrate to? Do you even know what you're talking about or just making it up?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's petty given all the awful things that are happening right now across the world; wars, famine, natural disasters, ethnic cleansing etc. you get your knickers in a twist because you are probably on some CCTV videos somewhere. You can post all the pictures from your libertarian website to try and convince me otherwise but it wont work, regarding the one you did post I noticed this one includes biometric ID cards for the UK, I thought that a) they have not been issued b) the idea was recently scrapped?
    Yeah it's bad, but there are problems here too, especially with my basic rights. I wont go on, as I'm obviously not going to convince you.

I don't see quite why so many students protest to 'their privacy being invaded because of CCTV cameras' but are quite willing to document their entire lives and have hundreds of photos of themselves on facebook which could surely be much more incriminating that a video of you walking down the street.
    Yeah, they're idiots. I don't do this.

EDIT: on further investigation the image you posted relates to 2005, where I guess the whole ID card fiasco was going on, this has now been scrapped. Interestingly enough the same picture for 2007 labels the US as 'endemic' in the same bracket as the UK and this is where you say you want to emigrate to? Do you even know what you're talking about or just making it up?
    They repealed the idea, but Camera-on is a slimy so and so. He'll bring them in, no doubt, in the future. Tony B-liar said himself in 1997 he'd never introduce them.

Anyway, yes, I know what I'm talking about and have done for a long time. I know the US has this problem, but there are people there willing to change that. I know there are people here that'd do that, but me wanting to move to the US is not because of their freedom - I just like American, Americans and the American way of life.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.