Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this embarrasing? Bench press Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, just finished my workout and have to admit, i did a foolish thing, i pushed myself to the limit, way to the limit.

I only did 40kg bench press and i strained my right arm to the point i could not lift it up and caused a big scene, where i fell off the bench and weights collided both sides of the floor and with the bar almost hit someone nearby.

40kg is not alot, i just did too much reps, about 58 non-stop, all the way down and up to the point, i defintely struggled.
    I'm rather embarrassed actually, the whole gym had their eyes on me.

Well..lesson learnt from now on, and i'm more concerned i almost hurt someone but i could have hurt myself MAJOR if i could not lift it up.

Was my act foolish? I guess my motivation and determination got the best of me.

ReputationRep:
    Just move on.....and why the hell did you do 58 consecutive reps?

ReputationRep:
    Lol i love it when some one stacks it on bench...the bench press heroes who dont do a real workout.

58 reps on bench and then stacked it, id have paid more than a cinema ticket to have been there

Next time do it properly

ReputationRep:
    Where was your spotter?

ReputationRep:
    Why even bother with weight training if you decide to do 58 consecutive reps? That is just stupid, you may as well sit at home watching TV non-stop, eating pizza and chips.

ReputationRep:
    Lol that is embarassing, but nice 58 consecutive 58 reps on 40kg

ReputationRep:
    Lool have you heard of sets?

ReputationRep:
    58 reps of 40kg

i think the bench was trying to kill you for being a pleb

Lol

ReputationRep:
    lol clearly dont know anything about pumping guns

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleBill)
    Where was your spotter?
    He got bored counting the reps so went.

ReputationRep:
    The gym was packed so waiting to use something else, you could say, you'd have to wait in a queue for the person to finish their sets so i guess i'd do bit more of the bench press whilst waiting the freeweights section to die down abit. Hence i was bored and did or tried to do 58 reps and failed. lol.

Yes i did do 3 sets of 10-12 reps for every workout, it just a problem for me doing extra more than usual. I mean, the freeweights was seriously packed. But yeah, i was bored, you could say i'm crazy guy, i do like lots of press ups / sits up than usual.

[EDITED]
    But yeah, i'm not too worried now, i just overtrained myself too much, lesson learnt. Thanks for the input guys, my act was pathetic and no i was not trying to act cool, i was just bored.

(Original post by fourdigit)
    The gym was packed so waiting to use something else, you could say, you'd have to wait in a queue for the person to finish their sets so i guess i'd do bit more of the bench press whilst waiting the freeweights section to die down abit. Hence i was bored and did or tried to do 58 reps and failed. lol.

Yes i did do 3 sets of 10-12 reps for every workout, it just a problem for me doing extra more than usual. I mean, the freeweights was seriously packed. But yeah, i was bored, you could say i'm crazy guy, i do like lots of press ups / sits up than usual.

[EDITED]
    But yeah, i'm not too worried now, i just overtrained myself too much, lesson learnt. Thanks for the input guys, my act was pathetic and no i was not trying to act cool, i was just bored.

Why not just do a higher weight for 5-10 reps?

Surely a troll?

ReputationRep:
    Who the hell does 58 consecutive reps on bench press?!

ReputationRep:
    is this a backward way of telling everyone how much you workout?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffDee)
    is this a backward way of telling everyone how much you workout?
    his bench is laughably weak so he failed anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    Who the hell does 58 consecutive reps on bench press?!
    Max repping is part of WS4SB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Max repping is part of WS4SB.
    Shouldn't it be tailored so that you're maxing out at at most half the number of reps done here? I mean, if high-rep to failure stuff is in the program that's fine, but 58 is just an absurd number to do.

Anyway, OP: Why was it a problem? If you'd failed on a heavy bench and it crashed on you that could be dangerous but 40kg is nothing so you could just sit it on your chest and wait until you're ready to press it up again, or roll it down to your waist and sit up.

Incidentally, doing light benching to failure results in feeling like a total pussy - at the end you're sat there under some tiny weight and it's just not going to go up. I remember doing 47.5kg x24 and the last reps were just humiliating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fourdigit)
    Hi guys, just finished my workout and have to admit, i did a foolish thing, i pushed myself to the limit, way to the limit.

I only did 40kg bench press and i strained my right arm to the point i could not lift it up and caused a big scene, where i fell off the bench and weights collided both sides of the floor and with the bar almost hit someone nearby.

40kg is not alot, i just did too much reps, about 58 non-stop, all the way down and up to the point, i defintely struggled.
    I'm rather embarrassed actually, the whole gym had their eyes on me.

Well..lesson learnt from now on, and i'm more concerned i almost hurt someone but i could have hurt myself MAJOR if i could not lift it up.

Was my act foolish? I guess my motivation and determination got the best of me.
    58 reps is insanity. It won't do anything good for your body.

Pushing something like 60kg for 10-12 reps would be infinitely better for you than 58 reps at 40.

If you are going to push for the limit, at least do it in a way that benefits your body.

As a side note, you should really be using a Smith machine or a bench with "wings" if you are benching alone. Trying to push for the limit without anyone to spot you on a loose bench is just asking for trouble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    As a side note, you should really be using a Smith machine or a bench with "wings" if you are benching alone. Trying to push for the limit without anyone to spot you on a loose bench is just asking for trouble.
    Smith machine sucks.

Learn how to bail. Don't collar the ends and if you're struggling tilt the bar to a side. Or dumbbell press.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.