Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is this embarrasing? Bench press watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Smith machine sucks.

Learn how to bail. Don't collar the ends and if you're struggling tilt the bar to a side. Or dumbbell press.
    Its not ideal, but its better than struggling without someone spotting you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Shouldn't it be tailored so that you're maxing out at at most half the number of reps done here? I mean, if high-rep to failure stuff is in the program that's fine, but 58 is just an absurd number to do.

Anyway, OP: Why was it a problem? If you'd failed on a heavy bench and it crashed on you that could be dangerous but 40kg is nothing so you could just sit it on your chest and wait until you're ready to press it up again, or roll it down to your waist and sit up.

Incidentally, doing light benching to failure results in feeling like a total pussy - at the end you're sat there under some tiny weight and it's just not going to go up. I remember doing 47.5kg x24 and the last reps were just humiliating.
    Oh yeah my comment was on the question of high repping, I wasn´t advocating what the OP did. Check out some of JoeD´s vids on YT though. Some guys crazy repping even with very heavy weights.

ReputationRep:
    Always get a trusted spotter, better to be safe than have a accident.

ReputationRep:
    How can you fall off the bench?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    Long story, short. The bench bar had no locks (whatever you call them) secured on either side but i've bench pressed many times without it so i was confident and in control especially i was putting minimal weights on either side.

I did lots of variety of workout and press ups exercises before bench pressing. When i was bench pressing, i was still fatigued. At one point, my right arm literally felt so weak that you could say it felt i had only one arm left. I didn't let the pain put off my concentration put to the point, 'wheres my spotter!' lol.

I managed to secure the right side of the bar onto the bench half way, however whilst focusing on trying to secure the left side, my right arm gave way and with my focus still on the left side, the bar tilted left ways pulling me down with it.

One, yes, i was reckless, two, i was overconfident, three, i set a stupid task with the current condition i was in. Though i curosity got the better got me. Like i said from time to time now, it's a lesson learnt but doesn't put me off going to gym/boxing training whatsoever, i messed up, i learn, i laugh about it, i move on. Either way, i'm overtraining myself these past days.

Due to the slip up on my diet during Christmas and no exercises, my mindframe was ' i need to get back into shape quickly' especially with the the weigh-in and if that went well, the competition.

Afterall academic work was just as important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    Its not ideal, but its better than struggling without someone spotting you.
    Really? I don't have a spotter when I bench press and have had a few times where I simply can't push it up for the last rep, but I have developed a technique to sort of slide the bar onto the floor, which is a bit embarrasing but it works. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crawleytownfc)
    Really? I don't have a spotter when I bench press and have had a few times where I simply can't push it up for the last rep, but I have developed a technique to sort of slide the bar onto the floor, which is a bit embarrasing but it works. :woo:
    Well i suppose it depends on confidence. I know that i would never be confident going for a new personal best or pushing up an extra rep or two without a spotter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fourdigit)
    Long story, short. The bench bar had no locks (whatever you call them) secured on either side but i've bench pressed many times without it so i was confident and in control especially i was putting minimal weights on either side.

I did lots of variety of workout and press ups exercises before bench pressing. When i was bench pressing, i was still fatigued. At one point, my right arm literally felt so weak that you could say it felt i had only one arm left. I didn't let the pain put off my concentration put to the point, 'wheres my spotter!' lol.

I managed to secure the right side of the bar onto the bench half way, however whilst focusing on trying to secure the left side, my right arm gave way and with my focus still on the left side, the bar tilted left ways pulling me down with it.

One, yes, i was reckless, two, i was overconfident, three, i set a stupid task with the current condition i was in. Though i curosity got the better got me. Like i said from time to time now, it's a lesson learnt but doesn't put me off going to gym/boxing training whatsoever, i messed up, i learn, i laugh about it, i move on. Either way, i'm overtraining myself these past days.

Due to the slip up on my diet during Christmas and no exercises, my mindframe was ' i need to get back into shape quickly' especially with the the weigh-in and if that went well, the competition.

Afterall academic work was just as important.
    Well i guess now you know that lifting to failure causes...well...failure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Thats hilarious

ReputationRep:
    LOL at the vid..reminds me of the vid where a black gangsta wanabe goes to a shooting range...holds his gun typical gansgta fashion and fires the gun and it fly's back(due to the ricochet or recoil..not sure what causes guns to fly back when shot) and brakes his face.

ReputationRep:
    Iv'e heard of high reps but this sheet is ridiculous, 58 reps what were you thinking? You mad that you couldn't do 100 curlz after you strained your arm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugh-Jackman)
    LOL at the vid..reminds me of the vid where a black gangsta wanabe goes to a shooting range...holds his gun typical gansgta fashion and fires the gun and it fly's back(due to the ricochet or recoil..not sure what causes guns to fly back when shot) and brakes his face.
    link?

ReputationRep:
    58 consecutive reps with 40 kg and correct form???

It's really, really hard to believe it you know?

It's possible but you'd need a long and serious endurance training to do that.

ReputationRep:
    lol op ur story is pathetic....why d hell wld anyone be benching 40kg for 58 consecutive reps!! thats lame dude

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 6, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.