Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it crazy? No. Crazy would be if you wanted to do 5 A levels AND write all essays in your own excrement.

Is it pointless? Probably.

ReputationRep:
    If you are coping with 7 AS (wow!) then i'm sure you can handle the 5 A2,
    Take them all on & then if you find one you don't enjoy as much just drop out of it
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'd say go for it, but discuss with your teachers trialling it for the start of the term, and being able to drop a subject if you find you're struggling, or not going to reach the grades you want. I'd reccomend getting your decision made before you send off your UCAS form aswell...although you could always contact universities later if you dropped a subject after applying.
    Your subjects complement each other nicely so it wouldn't be as difficult as if you were doing completely different subjects, although as you mentioned yourself you may not have time for too many extra curricular activities. Just remember it's for one year, you can take up plenty of activities at uni.
    Another thing to consider is getting your results in summer, if for instance you got good grades in 4 of your favourite subjects and a poor grade in another I'd recommend dropping the one with the poorer grade, learning five subjects is one thing, but taking a large number of exams all at once can have its own pitfalls, so you don't want to have retakes to do if possible. Of course you've chosen some coursework subjects, so that takes some pressure off in this respect.
    Hope all goes well

ReputationRep:
    if you are prepared for all the stress and work then do it however I don't think unis will choose a candidate with 5A2's over one with 4 or even 3 just on that basis, so you have to think whether that is really how you want to spend that time

ReputationRep:
    I do 5 A2's (Maths, FM, Physics, Chemistry, ICT) and it's not too bad - but then again, does IT really count as a subject :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing 5 A-levels, (Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Further maths and Latin) and although the workload is hard, it is doable. You need to spend a significant amount of your time revising, but it's not ALL your time- you still have time to socialize, etc. It just depends how you prioritize your time. If you were able to do 7 AS though, I think you'd probably be able to do it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meiming8)
    I'm doing 5 A-levels, (Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Further maths and Latin) and although the workload is hard, it is doable. You need to spend a significant amount of your time revising, but it's not ALL your time- you still have time to socialize, etc. It just depends how you prioritize your time. If you were able to do 7 AS though, I think you'd probably be able to do it!
    Hey, it's good to know you're doing five with Latin as one of them - it looks so much harder at A2 - is it? Thanks!

(Original post by az1992)
    if you go to private school anything is possible........
    Good to know - shame I don't :P

Thanks for the input everyone - I really value it! I think for now i'll focus on hopefully getting 7As and trial doing five next year, and drop something if i'm struggling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lorypop)
    Basically, I have a dilemma in picking my subjects for year 13.

I currently am insane enough to do 7 AS levels: Classical Civilisation, Latin, History, English Lit, English Lang, ICT and General Studies. Of these, I am quite happy to drop ICT and Gen Studies. I'm really attached to the others though, and whilst I don't struggle with the workload at the moment, at A2 i've heard it steps up again, and 5 is a little excessive, but I love my subjects!

Other info: I want to study Classics.
    I do quite a lot of extra curricular stuff, particularly drama, and would hate to give that up as well!

Advice please? :puppyeyes:
    No it's not insane at all, it depends on what you can handle tbh. If you're managing with 7 AS levels then 5 A2s should be okay. But see what you get at AS first; that will allow you to predict the outcome at A2 a lot better.

Out of interest, why are you taking English Language and English Literature?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, it's good to know you're doing five with Latin as one of them - it looks so much harder at A2 - is it? Thanks!
    Personally I found the translations harder, but the literature about the same. I think the main source of difficulty is in working out Latin conventions, which you have to do at A2 because you get unadapted unseens. Learning the typical use of language for particular authors e.g. Livy, Ovid really helps with this, and it's good for your literature as well.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an international student, it seems loads of people choose to study classics in the UK, what exactly is it about and what job prospects are there!!

ReputationRep:
    I did five and did fine, you're coping ok at the minute so you should be fine, my friend took five and beginners russian and came out with straight A's so its definitely do-able

ReputationRep:
    If you think you can cope I don't see why not.

ReputationRep:
    It's easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ignoramus)
    No it's not insane at all, it depends on what you can handle tbh. If you're managing with 7 AS levels then 5 A2s should be okay. But see what you get at AS first; that will allow you to predict the outcome at A2 a lot better.

Out of interest, why are you taking English Language and English Literature?
    Yeah, that sounds like a great idea.

I'm taking both because i'm quite good at them and English is one of my favourite subjects. They're also completely different, so I don't see them both as 'English' anymore, more Lang and Lit. It seemed like a good idea at the time. :P

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that sounds like a great idea.

I'm taking both because i'm quite good at them and English is one of my favourite subjects. They're also completely different, so I don't see them both as 'English' anymore, more Lang and Lit. It seemed like a good idea at the time. :P
    Oh right, interesting! I didn't realise the two were so different...

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.