Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Recently I've been experiencing a severe pain in my lower right rib. It's behind it though, like an organ or tissue problem of some sort. It's around the livery gallbladdery area and I usually only get it after drinking, but it worsens when I have certain hot drinks, particularly green tea. Any idea what it is? It hurts a lot and often spreads around the sides (Sometimes the back, in the same area) and to the middle of my chest. It's one of the most painful experiences of my life >_<

I doubt it's anything to do with alcohol intake as I drink very little, and very rarely.

ReputationRep:
    I had something similar to what you're describing and i got it checked out and it turned out to be something to do with the joints between my rib and the middle bone at the front (whatever it's called).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choccy94)
    Recently I've been experiencing a severe pain in my lower right rib. It's behind it though, like an organ or tissue problem of some sort. It's around the livery gallbladdery area and I usually only get it after drinking, but it worsens when I have certain hot drinks, particularly green tea. Any idea what it is? It hurts a lot and often spreads around the sides (Sometimes the back, in the same area) and to the middle of my chest. It's one of the most painful experiences of my life >_<

I doubt it's anything to do with alcohol intake as I drink very little, and very rarely.
    I'm no doctor, but you should go see one.

Even if you drink little, it could be your body (liver) can't cope as well as other people or something...

Maybe it's completely different, but if it's that painful get down to your Gp!! Is it in the apendisitus area?
    As that's serious.

ReputationRep:

I had gallstones, and thought it was really bad muscle cramp/gas to start.

Few questions:

Does the pain come on at a certain time of day?
    Does leaning forward make the pain easier to deal with?
    Does it come in "waves" of severity?

ReputationRep:

It sounds as though you most probably have a stage 4 melignant cancer.

No, seriously though, just go and see a GP. I know people come on here for a quick bit of advice, but people cannot say much over an internet chat forum.

I hope you're well.
    Take it easy until the doctor has seen it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pixiepeep)
    I had gallstones, and thought it was really bad muscle cramp/gas to start.

Few questions:

Does the pain come on at a certain time of day?
    Does leaning forward make the pain easier to deal with?
    Does it come in "waves" of severity?
    All of those are yes. I usually get the pain around midday, which is half way between break when I snack and lunch, although on the odd few days I get very little/no pain. However it often comes back during evenings about an hour after I've gotten in, usually because I have a drink of regular tea and sometimes a small snack, if that is of any relevance.
    It is less severe when I'm sitting/leaning and gets a lot worse when I stand up. Sometimes it is in the background as a dull pain but I don't usually notice it as much then, but some days it is extremely severe and as I said before it appears that green tea affects it, although I'm going to test it this weekend (Fast and see if I get pain, if I don't then try some green tea and monitor the pain over the next few hours).

I considered it could be gallstones aswell though, as a lot of symptoms when I looked it up seemed to match. How did you get yours treated?

ReputationRep:
    All of those are yes. I usually get the pain around midday, which is half way between break when I snack and lunch, although on the odd few days I get very little/no pain. However it often comes back during evenings about an hour after I've gotten in, usually because I have a drink of regular tea and sometimes a small snack, if that is of any relevance.
    It is less severe when I'm sitting/leaning and gets a lot worse when I stand up. Sometimes it is in the background as a dull pain but I don't usually notice it as much then, but some days it is extremely severe and as I said before it appears that green tea affects it, although I'm going to test it this weekend (Fast and see if I get pain, if I don't then try some green tea and monitor the pain over the next few hours).

I considered it could be gallstones aswell though, as a lot of symptoms when I looked it up seemed to match. How did you get yours treated?
    The typical symptom of gallstones is pain in the early evening, or after a fatty meal, and the pains tend to last for a few hours, then subside. When I had the attacks I could barely stand up, but lying down was equally painful. The only time I got any relief was leaning forward. For the worst attacks I couldn't stand up at all.

Best way to find out is to get a blood test at the doctors, although that itself wont be entirely conclusive. They'll test for liver enzymes in the blood, which is a sign that there's an issue near your liver. If they're positive in a high enough level, you'll be sent for an ultrasound, which is the clearest test..

Mine got left too long from doctors mostly assuming I was young and otherwise healthy so I could wait, so I ended up getting a rather serious infection, so I was in lots of pain!!

Treatment is usually to remove the gallbladder, although there are ways of "dissolving" them, although they're not always possible.

Hope you feel better soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pixiepeep)
    The typical symptom of gallstones is pain in the early evening, or after a fatty meal, and the pains tend to last for a few hours, then subside. When I had the attacks I could barely stand up, but lying down was equally painful. The only time I got any relief was leaning forward. For the worst attacks I couldn't stand up at all.

Best way to find out is to get a blood test at the doctors, although that itself wont be entirely conclusive. They'll test for liver enzymes in the blood, which is a sign that there's an issue near your liver. If they're positive in a high enough level, you'll be sent for an ultrasound, which is the clearest test..

Mine got left too long from doctors mostly assuming I was young and otherwise healthy so I could wait, so I ended up getting a rather serious infection, so I was in lots of pain!!

Treatment is usually to remove the gallbladder, although there are ways of "dissolving" them, although they're not always possible.

Hope you feel better soon!
    Thanks for all your help. My mum said that if the pain is still there on sunday night/monday morning then she'll get me an appointment at the doctors to have it checked out. I'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all your help. My mum said that if the pain is still there on sunday night/monday morning then she'll get me an appointment at the doctors to have it checked out. I'll see how it goes.
    First thing is to get an ultrasound scan of the gallbladder done. its quick and easy and your GP can organise that. It may well be that you don't have gallstones so don't have surgery in your mind until its proven you do.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.