Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Travelling to the US w/o a Biometric Passport watch

ReputationRep:
    Is this possible?
    My friend wants me to visit her this summer and I only have a standard old fashioned passport. I read an article about people being refused permission to fly because they only had non-bio passports. If I did go I would probably have to fly into JFK, and I am thinking if any flight is gonna refuse me it's gonna be one to New York.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpamBa)
    Is this possible?
    My friend wants me to visit her this summer and I only have a standard old fashioned passport. I read an article about people being refused permission to fly because they only had non-bio passports. If I did go I would probably have to fly into JFK, and I am thinking if any flight is gonna refuse me it's gonna be one to New York.
    I suspect you will be fine. When was your passport issued? Not having a biometric passport is only an issue when the new passports issued aren't biometric. As all new UK passports are biometric you will still qualify under the Visa Waiver Program

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisBan)
    I suspect you will be fine. When was your passport issued? Not having a biometric passport is only an issue when the new passports issued aren't biometric. As all new UK passports are biometric you will still qualify under the Visa Waiver Program
    Was issued early 2006, since I was a child then it expires early 2011.

ReputationRep:
    You should be fine... its a digital photo right? So not just the photo you sent in glued on (you should be able to tell if its digital by there not being a "bulge" over where the photo is)

http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/co...ge_0021.shtm#2

ReputationRep:
    As long as it's machine readable and it was issued before the UK started issuing biometric passports (you just missed the cut, mine was issued November 2006 and is a biometric passport), I think you'll be ok.

ReputationRep:
    Mines an old style passport and I had no trouble with it at all. You'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Is this possible?
    Can I also add that assuming you've got a UK passport and you are going for less than 90 days, you need to apply the visa waiver program at least 72 hours prior to departure. You will need to apply via the following portal: ESTA Portal they have started to properly enforce this now, and if you don't apply to it, you risk not being allowed to board your flight!

ReputationRep:
    You generally need at least 6 months validity left on your passport so if it expires in early 2011 you'll have to check your travel dates and ensure you've got enough time left on it to travel. Ignore this, just done a bit of research and it turns out the UK is exempt from this rule for entry into the USA:
    http://www.usembassy.org.uk/nireland...html#sixmonths

Your other option is just to apply for a full adult passport before you go as they will stick the remaining time (upto 9 months) onto the length of your new passport meaning you'd get 10 years and 9 months so you wouldn't really lose anything doing it this way.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.