Turn on thread page Beta

I need an excuse!!! watch

Right okay, I joined a new school in September. Every Friday since November these guys have been asking me to come out 'into town' with them, to which I've said 'I can't'...'maybe'...'I've got no money'...'I will'.

I really don't mind hanging around with these in School, but my parents are, well ... parents, and they don't want me to go out and get drunk in some streets with some guys.

Apart from telling them the truth, what can I say to make them BACK OFF instead of persistently asking me every week. I can tell they're getting annoyed as well. I really don't mind talking to them in school, but I do not want to go out with them (they do stupid things).

I must seem like a prissy b*tch. But really, they just go out to get with girls. But they are the only friends I have in this new school. I need to preserve the friendship some how...

Any excuses / ideas? It's Thursday already

ReputationRep:
    Depends what sort of things they do, you don't have to go out get drunk and do stupid things. You can go with them, enjoy yourself and stay sensible.

Go with them, but don't get too drunk. Take another gf with you, just to keep you company

(Original post by Starless Eyes)
    Depends what sort of things they do, you don't have to go out get drunk and do stupid things. You can go with them, enjoy yourself and stay sensiable.
    I'll end up with 5 absolute jerks. To be honest I don't like them in school. I should make new friends.

I'll deal with that on Monday. I don't know what to say tomorrow though.

ReputationRep:
    Are you in the inbetweeners? You could always tell them its not really your scene, you just dont fancy it. I cant see why it would be a problem, and if it is, they aren't decent friends anyway are they.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorian gray)
    I'll end up with 5 absolute jerks. To be honest I don't like them in school. I should make new friends.

Anon fail :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

If you really feel uncomfortable with going out with these people, it might be a good idea just to tell them. You can only hide for so long, best just to tell them and im sure they would understand and wouldn't bother you again.

ReputationRep:
    If you really feel uncomfortable with going out with these people, it might be a good idea just to tell them.
    That is such a **** idea. They are probably the guy's only school friends. Although he may not actually like them, life would be much worse if they hated him as he would have no one lol.

If you really feel uncomfortable with going out with these people, it might be a good idea just to tell them. You can only hide for so long, best just to tell them and im sure they would understand and wouldn't bother you again.
    Social suicide. I suppose that is the best advice though.

I'll save it for Monday. Until them, I'm 'babysitting'. How does that sound?? I'm a guy D:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by explosions hurt)
    That is such a **** idea. They are probably the guy's only school friends. Although he may not actually like them, life would be much worse if they hated him as he would have no one lol.
    If your friends hated you because you told them you wern't comfortable with something, they arn't very good friends, are they..

Just tell them your parents won't allow you

ReputationRep:
    If your friends hated you because you told them you wern't comfortable with something, they arn't very good friends, are they..
    It is different. He would be telling his "friends" that he isn't comfortable going out on a friday night with them. From that they would deduce that he didn't like them. Therefore they would begin to dislike him. We have now arrived at a situation where the OP knows no one at his school as he is new. Telling the truth is stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like they want to get with you tbh.
    Go out with them one time...it could be fun, you never know

Right okay I'll give you the real reason. I'd rather make friends with other people in my year. To go out with these guys is social suicide. It will cement my place in the under class of the hierarchy.

I'm on good terms with other people but I've not gone out with them yet. When this happens (which I know will be soon), I'll be free of the people whom I am with atm. They are lecherous and horrible and I don't know how I got tangled up with them in the first place.

Saying 'I don't like you guys' will outcast me from them. I haven't made the transition to the 'better group' yet so I would actually be friendless.

But yeah, I must sound like a b*tch. Really though, the last thing I want to do is to be stuck with drunken lecherous tw*ts who have sex with random girls in club toilets. Only then to go to school and be stuck with them indefinitely.

So, temporary excuse until I can break the news?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by explosions hurt)
    It is different. He would be telling his "friends" that he isn't comfortable going out on a friday night with them. From that they would deduce that he didn't like them. Therefore they would begin to dislike him. We have now arrived at a situation where the OP knows no one at his school as he is new. Telling the truth is stupid.
    So you think avoiding it every weekend won't make them suspicious of him disliking them?
    Anyway, different people, different tactics. I would personally tell them I wasn't comfortable. Only my opinion

ReputationRep:
    So you think avoiding it every weekend won't make them suspicious of him disliking them?
    Anyway, different people, different tactics. I would personally tell them I wasn't comfortable. Only my opinion
    There are several possible excuses e.g. my parents are mental and never let me out the house. Maybe your tactic would work in a special school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So, temporary excuse until I can break the news?
    Like you said, babysitting. Use that one

Goodluck.

ReputationRep:
    that you turn into something horrible after sunset????

ReputationRep:
    Seems like an obvious one, but working? You'd have to make sure you get the story completely right, ie a place they wouldn't visit. But then you'd have to avoid MSN/Facebook with other people.

Don't say babysitting. You'll never hear the end of it.

ReputationRep:
    Ill?
    Washing your hair?
    Have a date with a girl from another school?
    Have family visiting?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.